• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the Output Not Matching the Stage?

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be a huge flash guy, knew my way around it very well, I haven't used Flash or Animate though in probably the last 8 years. I'm trying to do a dynamic data driven infographic with Animate CC and I'm just starting out and having nothing but GD issues publishing. The primary issue being what gets rendered in HTML5 canvas looks quite different than what I have on my stage and what I am trying to do. If this is going to take me days to figure out, then I just won't use Animate CC, I'll use Hype or some of the other options out there that may actually really work. I'm only using Animate CC because we have it with our CC subscription. That doesn't however mean this software isn't a giant POS.

What I want...

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.16.27 AM.png

What I get... At first, the two circles were overlapping and touching. If this is as accurate as the output can get, then forget this... I'll find another way to do it. This looks like utter trash and so far has been a huge waste of my time.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.16.38 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

So, the problem is simpler than that, but I haven't found an easy after the fact fix. When you make the oval primitive and then change your mind about how big it is, the object gets a scale value. Yours is at 249%. Canvas is smart enough to still draw it the right size, but is making the stroke be 2.49x thicker than you had in mind. If you draw it at the right size it comes out ok.

Bit of trivia about Adobe text input fields, most of them can take math. If you changed the line thickness box to be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my publish settings....

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.21.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.21.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.21.04 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU'RE AN ADOBE COMMUNITY PROFESSIONAL? WOW... Yeah forget this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, there isn't anything at all "professional" about your response...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I draw something similar to what you drew, it looks the same on stage as it does when I Test Movie, and I have my publish settings the same as you.

Are you able to post the FLA online somewhere, that I can take a look at it, to make sure I'm following exactly the same steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

Thank you for your courteous reply. You can get the file here. This is the 3rd or 4th iteration of the file. Originally I was trying to cut and paste from Illustrator (thought maybe this could be the issue), then I tried using the CC Libraries functionality (didn't help), then I just gave up and re-created the elements in Animate. The circles were done using the Primitive Oval Tool as it's the one that allows you to control the completion of the path by tweaking the degrees for the start and end points of the circle.

What I think may be happening is that the when the canvas elements get drawn, the path is being converted to a "solid" with a "stroke" around it and that stroke is matching the pixel size of what the path (inside of Animate) is supposed to be. If that makes any kind of sense at all.

I also get this warning when I publish, even on brand new blank projects -

Frame numbers in EaselJS start at 0 instead of 1. For example, this affects gotoAndStop and gotoAndPlay calls. (2)

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Courteous" is my middle name (my parents had a strange sense of humor)!

I see the problem already. Will try to figure out what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the problem is simpler than that, but I haven't found an easy after the fact fix. When you make the oval primitive and then change your mind about how big it is, the object gets a scale value. Yours is at 249%. Canvas is smart enough to still draw it the right size, but is making the stroke be 2.49x thicker than you had in mind. If you draw it at the right size it comes out ok.

Bit of trivia about Adobe text input fields, most of them can take math. If you changed the line thickness box to be 17.0/2.49, it will work out the 6.80 for you. At that line thickness the 249% oval will have 17 pixel thick strokes in the output test.

There may be a fix I don't know about, and perhaps one of us should report a bug! For now, try to draw the oval at its final size.

You can ignore the frames start at 0 warning, but if you do use gotoAndStop() or gotoAndPlay(), make sure to use a number that is one less that the number shown in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you have to do to fix this is set the Scale to "None" in the Fill and Stroke section of the Properties window. Though I can't predict how that will look if the project itself is scaled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! So basically, I get a single shot to get the oval drawn correctly if I want this to work in canvas! I will start fresh and give that a shot if that doesn't work, I'll go back to this document and use the math work-around that you've provided.

Again, thank you so much! Nothing worse than being in a pinch to get something done and stuff not working out the way it's supposed to. This was literally the first thing I tried to do with this application in a long time and I thought it was simple enough that I shouldn't have problems...

Then someone decided to leave a snarky comment instead of being helpful, that never really helps people out. Most of the time when people are looking for these solutions they are doing so because they have exhausted other means and are already stressed out about getting something done. If someone isn't providing enough information, then just ask them to provide more information. If that's a problem for someone, then why do they sit around all day cruising these forums and participating in these conversations in the first place? I never use forums like these unless I absolutely have to because of jerks like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of your original post used fightin' words, which may have led to some of the snarkiness. We all have room to improve, I'm sure!

Meanwhile, what Clay just said is worth knowing about. The None option makes the lines be the required thickness. In your example you had one oval at the right size, and one at 249%. By setting both to a scale of None, you then have to fix one of the two to make it be 17 pixels thick again. By using None you can resize the oval later, and keep the thickness you wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep that was frustration and I realized it a bit too late. I had gone back and tried to edit the OP at one point to “tone it down” but couldn’t find “edit” under actions. I was able to edit the follow-up post to add an additional screen shot but not the OP (is this not possible? IS it located somewhere else?). Unfortunately this one particular project we are working on has everyone on edge and at their wits-end in no small part because we’re trying to “hit a moving target” and we’ll more than likely wind up having to work through this weekend and the holiday / holiday weekend to hit it. I’ve been at this since 5am my time and I’ll be at it until late tonight trying to get this stuff done so my team and I don’t have to work through the holiday. This little infographic is only a small part of a much bigger project. I actually have about 5 of these to do. The project needs to be done by the end of November. The client just changed around a whole bunch of requirements just a few days ago and I’m just doing what I’m told… So thanks to BOTH of you for your help. For the record, I always try to provide as much information as I can when I use these forums. Part of what I have to do here is respond to customer service requests and our clients never give us enough information to go by, so I understand that, I’m sensitive to it. I get it…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashapiro123123  wrote

Then someone decided to leave a snarky comment instead of being helpful, that never really helps people out.

If you'd been capable of seeing through your red mist of rage, you might have noticed I was pointing out to you that posting a couple of screenshots of circles and no details whatsoever about how those circles were generated was unlikely to get you a solution.

This is a volunteer support forum. We are not Adobe employees, we are not your servants, we are not under any obligation to help you, and we are absolutely not required to kowtow when you're in full tantrum mode. Any snark you got was a bare fraction of what you put into your first post.

So the next time you need help from this forum—or any forum—maybe save the ranting and put that effort instead into providing enough detail that someone who isn't psychic can actually figure out what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well why did you bother to even reply to me then? It seems like the only reason you even replied was so you could just be a jerk…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then just IGNORE people like me if you think I’m the one being a jerk. But no, you probably get a kick of out of trolling people. Just don’t reply to people you feel are being a jerk. Just don’t bother with people who post like me then. I didn’t personally ask YOU for help. I was screaming into a “void”. You act like it’s a personal inconvenience to you. And now you’re attacking me again probably because I didn’t bother giving you the credit for the correct answer. No one really cares about how much information you have in your head… You’re not some big hero because you sit on forums and help people. You’re doing it for your own benefit, not to be nice to anyone. If you were doing it to be nice, you would have just ignored my post. You’re doing it because of your own ego and the fact that you want to be Mr. Adobe. Mr. SME… It’s about your own ego dude, it’s not about helping people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Half of the developers that work with me are like you. They are on stack overflow, etc… They don’t do it to help people. They do it to show-off their knowledge. Who are you kidding? Lol They do it to show people how much they know and how much other people don’t. They do it because they know it all, they know the right ways to do EVERYTYHING and if you’re not doing it like them or how they tell you to do it, you’re not doing it right and you’re work is trash. You also do it because being an SME looks good on a resume and helps your value when it comes to negotiating rates and salaries. You’re not doing it to be altruistic. Please… I was born at night but not last night.

Now, I’m not saying everyone is like that, definitely not everyone who participates in these forums is like that, but a lot of people are and clearly, you fit that bill. You want points… you want badges… you want to be known as the guy who knows the most about Adobe products… Yet you probably don’t even lecture or do speaking engagements or publish tutorials on YouTube… You just sit here and prowl forums looking for little morsels to feed your ego with.

People who really want to help people are empathetic and know how to be empathetic. Maybe next time you should try being empathetic to someone who is frustrated instead of just being a giant dickhead to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a moderator here (Clay may be too), and there are different options we have, in terms of locking a topic and so on. I think there should be an option we could use so that people have to pay to read the thread.

I hope the project works out, and please ask more questions soon after you get stuck on something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin, you’re a good guy. Maybe too good… We both know how these forums work.. If you wouldn’t have replied and given me a solution, Clay would not have bothered to follow up. You guys are competing with each other to see who is smarter, who has the better answers and it wasn’t until after you provided your solution that he swooped down and tried again to stick his two cents in and try to one up you by telling you that your solution was wrong and he had the “better way”. Maybe… Maybe not… That’s the nature of these forums. That’s why I hate using them. They are gamified for a reason, to get people who know things to engage with people who don’t, because otherwise, it wouldn’t happen or it wouldn’t happen enough to make the forum be worthwhile.

If there was nothing in it for Clay, he wouldn’t be doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will try to be less good, but will also not lock the topic. I hope you are able to focus on your project again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry dude but you are ranting again.

I've got to defend Clay here- while he/she can appear brusk at times I really think he/she just wants people to think about their questions, give as much info so it helps them help you, and not come here and have a hissy fit about Adobe products while being vague. That happens A LOT in here. As mentioned most here are volunteers and people like Clay, Colin, kglad (off the top of my head) etc have helped out so so many people here. Their knowledge is amazing. And Clay shares a LOT to help. You will see that if you stick around. And you also will see someone else get 'Clayed' too (I know I'll get 'Clayed' in the future and probably deserve it!) . But he/she STILL helps.

You are frustrated but don't take it out on others. It really doesnt help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So lock the thread, archive it. It’s way Off topic and no longer of any value to anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines