Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to select specific area in shapes and move it

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am wondering how to accomplish the figures below in Photoshop. I've been searching and the ones I got were to cut or delete certain parts. However, what I want to learn is how to cut shapes without deletion. Like, I just want to select a specific area from the shape and move it a little as shown in the figures.

Moreover, I found this link Move, copy, and delete selected pixels in Photoshop, but it's not working for me.

Please help. Thank you in advance!

Sample.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

No worries!

Have you tried rasterizing the layer before trying to move the selection? Simply right click on the layer > "Rasterize layer. "

rasterize layer.jpg

Let me know how it goes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aianee,

Could you clarify what is going wrong when you try to follow the steps as indicated in the link you've added?
Simply selecting the area you want to move, and then dragging it into the desired direction should work.

1. You can use the Polygonal Lasso tool to make the desired selection
    (right click on the lasso tool > select "Polygonal Lasso tool"
    lasso tool.jpg
  2. Now select the part of the shape you want to move
    Move 1.jpg
  3. Switch to the "Move Tool" > Drag the selection to the desired location
    move 2.jpg

That should do the trick

Daphne.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Daphne!

Whenever I select the part I want to move, the entire shape moves instead. I noticed when I'm going to move the selected area, the pointer doesn't show the "scissor" icon, it was always the cross arrowhead. Once, I was able to cut and move a certain part but it was the background not the desired shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries!

Have you tried rasterizing the layer before trying to move the selection? Simply right click on the layer > "Rasterize layer. "

rasterize layer.jpg

Let me know how it goes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh it worked! Thank you so much for the tip! I'm not familiar with "rasterizing" therefore I had no idea to use it.

Curious though, does this trick possible for multiple overlapping shapes with different layers? Or does the shapes must be on 1 layer only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aianee,

Make sure you create your shape on a Layer of it's own.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 14.17.01.png

Next select the area you would like to move with the Polyagonal Lasso Tool as Daphne suggested.

Next select the Move Tool and try using the arrow keys to move the selected area to the position you would like.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 14.20.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Simmer,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes the shape has it's own layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines