Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building PC for Video Editing and Need Feedback

Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a PC for video editings and would like to be able to use Premiere Pro. I don't expect that I will be editing in 4K but I before I purchase all of the components for the build I would like to get some feedback. I just want to make sure the program will run smoothly and I don't need to upgrade any of my components. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

TypeItemPrice
CPUIntel - Core i7-6850K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor        $345.49 @ OutletPC    
CPU CoolerCorsair - H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler        $99.99 @ Corsair    
MotherboardAsus - X99-DELUXE II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard        $299.99 @ Newegg    
MemoryCorsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory        $188.99 @ Amazon    
MemoryCorsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory        $188.99 @ Amazon    
StorageSamsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive        $149.99 @ B&H    
StorageWestern Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive        $41.77 @ OutletPC    
StorageWestern Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive        $41.77 @ OutletPC    
Video CardMSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card        $174.99 @ B&H    
CasePhanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case        $99.99 @ Amazon    
Power SupplySeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply        $99.90 @ Amazon    
Optical DriveAsus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer        $16.29 @ OutletPC    
Operating SystemMicrosoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit        $135.88 @ OutletPC    
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates)$1944.03
Mail-in rebates-$60.00
Total$1884.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-15 21:21 EST-0500

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even after factoring in the rebates, $1900-ish is a lot to spend on a CPU platform that's a dead end (meaning that it will not see any more new CPUs released for it), especially since it is missing a second SSD and a somewhat underqualified GPU compared to the CPU. And two hard drives put together are still a lot slower than even a single SATA SSD, let alone an m.2 NVMe SSD. Plus, AIO liquid coolers on the whole do not perform sufficiently better than a high-end air cooler to justify their extra cost. Worst of all, the X99 motherboards are still very expensive given the age and the EOL (End Of Life) status of that chipset.

I am not very good at suggesting alternatives, so I will leave that task to another forum user.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to agree with RjL.   The prices are down because of it being old tech, but you are left with nowhere to go when you find it is not doing the job for you.  What will you be editing?  1080? 4K? How many tracks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that I'll be editing in 1080 for the most part. I'll have an audio track and music track, and be editing together a series of pictures and animations, with occasional effects added for most of my projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your i7-6850K 6-core has a maximum turbo speed of 3.8GHz and costs you $345.  If you pick the new generation i7-8700K you also get 6-cores but with the Turbo speed of 4.7GHz for a price of $420 (actual Intel Recommended Customer Price $359) but since it such a hot item there is some price gouging going on so it might pay to be patient for a short while.

You can find an X299 motherboard like the Gigabyte X299-UD4 for $240.

Get rid of that Liquid cooler and one of those hard disk drives and get modern with a second SSD drive with a M.2 PCIe x4 drive like a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB for $120.  That is if your typical current project and media will fit on that size.

You just received my $100 consulting job free and this will give you a super system with long life and great performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since that CPU, and all of Intel's recent unlocked CPUs, do not include a "stock" air cooler at all (no matter how lousy such a cooler really is), the OP will have to buy a third-party (aftermarket) cooler for such a CPU to even be usable at all. Unfortunately, as you stated, that particular liquid cooler is just overpriced for its cooling performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Randall I should have added that into response.  I am using the Clooer Master Hyper 212 EVO but added a second fan, now Cooler Master has the 212X with two fans for $42.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines