Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Adobe Illustrator file - vector original but becomes pixilated

Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i remember reading somewhere that when Premiere imports an Illustrator file it rasterizes it?

If that is the case, then that explains why a large vector based graphic that I created in Illustrator CS5 becomes pixilated and aliased when I resize it so that it is much smaller than the orginal.

I need the graphic to start small and then "scale" to its full size over time, using keyframes.

However, I don't want the image (it's a company logo) to start pixilated.

Is there a setting that retains the sharp lines of my orginal Illustrator file?

Or should I redo the logo in photoshop -- will tthat give better results in scaling up and down?

Or some other solution?

Thanks

Rowby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 03, 2010 Oct 03, 2010

Stan mentioned it below, but AE has a "continuously rasterize" toggle for vector graphics (it's the little icon that looks like a sun). Basically, this flag is telling After Effects to go back to the original vector data for each frame of an animation, scale/move/rotate/whatever the vector data, and then rasterize it. This ensures that highest quality through the course of an animation..

My workflow with vector graphics is just what you've suggested. I drop the AI file into a PPro sequence, scale

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though PrPro can Import AI Vector, you are correct that it will Rasterize it, and I am not keen on the results. I always use Photoshop, and the Place function to Import my AI file, then Scale in PS to exactly what I need in a New Image w/ the proper Preset for my Project. If the Scale and Position are critical, I'll even use a Freeze Frame still, as a reference image, and just not Save_As PSD with that Layer visible.

I find that workflow yields very good results.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm!

Those are good workarounds and I may have to resort to them, but for this project the image scales over time and I'd have to create several different sizes in order to avoid blatant rasterizing.

I may have to do the effect in After Effects...

I am wondering how After Effects handles Illustrator files.  Does After Effects rasterize illustrator files?   Or at least, do you (or anyone else here) have experience with After Effects importing Illustrator files.

I'll also post this question in the After Effects Forum.

Thanks

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rasterization will need to take place along the line somewhere. AE can handle the Vector image until you Export.

For what you are describing, I would Scale to the max size in PS, and then Import that PSD w/ Transparency, or as a Sequence with Layers intact, and then animate that down, where necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read help re "continuously rasterize" in AE.

For some purposes, I'd go with AE.  For others, doing what Bill suggests and bringing your max size image into PR would be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan mentioned it below, but AE has a "continuously rasterize" toggle for vector graphics (it's the little icon that looks like a sun). Basically, this flag is telling After Effects to go back to the original vector data for each frame of an animation, scale/move/rotate/whatever the vector data, and then rasterize it. This ensures that highest quality through the course of an animation..

My workflow with vector graphics is just what you've suggested. I drop the AI file into a PPro sequence, scale it however I see fit (yes, it will look like garbage, but that's OK), and then right-click the clip and use the Replace with AE Comp command. When AE opens, and builds the comp, all I have to do is check the Continuously Rasterize box (it might be checked by default; I can't recall exactly), and I'm done. The animation from Premiere is preserved, and the clip is already in use in Premiere, so there really isn't anything more to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kind of lame that Premiere Pro doesn't have a continuously rasterize option.

I thought I'd just mention that it's Not checked by default, at least not in CS5.5.

I'm just curious though, if you keep the animation in Premiere won't you have the same problem? From my understanding, Premiere is only raster? Wouldn't that mean it would be taking each frame from AfterEffects and rasterizing it? Well if the scale doesn't happen in AfterEffects then AE is only continuously rasterizing the same logo at 100% in that application, then Premiere is scaling it up.

I just did a test, and that is indeed what happens. If I replace the footage with AE and check continuously rasterize, I get a nice crisp image. Sweet. Now if I scale it up in Premiere it looks pixelated. I just did 200%. If I do the same animation to 200% in AE, it looks perfect the entire time in Premiere.

I'd like to know what technique you used, if you got it to work in Premiere without redoing the animation in AfterEffects...not that a simple scale is rocket science or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant solution, Colin (while we wait on Adobe to correct this oversight). Thanks for sharing; it was nice and crisp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... um... is this going to eventually get resolved natively in Premiere? It seems silly to have to do these workarounds when premiere could handle AI files the way AE does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines