Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Resize Too Large Print Dialog Box

Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to print using Reader X, the print dialog is huge and the "OK" button extends off the bottom, making it inaccessible.  I have tried resizing the print box but the handles that appear on the edges will not adjust the size of the box.  This happens no matter the size of the Reader window with which I am working.

Is anybody else running into this problem? Any idea how to fix it?

I am using a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

Thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

On computers with low resolution, such as 800 X 600, the Print and Cancel buttons can be off the screen. The free 10.1.3 update to Reader and Acrobat addresses this issue. You can install this update automatically from within Reader and Acrobat. If you cannot update at this time, do any of the following:

• Drag the scroll bar on the right side of the Print dialog box down to access the buttons.
  • To print, press Enter or Return.
  • To cancel, press Esc.

This information has been taken from the following kn

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too.  Did not have the problem with Reader v. 9.4.  Please advise how to adjust size.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using, and do you have any custom settings applied to the display (increased font size, large taskbar, etc.)?

The standard Print dialog on Windows Vista/7 is just under 730 pixels high, so it should *just* fit onto a 1024x768 screen with a default Windows taskbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the 768 height and cannot get to the ok button in the print box.  Please let me know if there is a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bey64

You didn't get an answer either. If you would still like to use Adobe ReaderXI occasionally, check out this spot from time to time and you might find an answer. I am determined to find one.

Regards, Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Dave. EarnestUser didn't get a satisfactory reply from you, did he? Where did he go? The problem is nothing to do with screen resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem to. Microsoft had no answers and said it was an Adobe problem. The only print dialog box I have problems with is the Adobe print dialog box and the one that USPS uses on their click and ship site. They had no answers either and said to contact Microsoft because I was using Windows 7 64 bit. I begin to wonder if the 64 bit Windows that I am running is causing the problem. I don't see anybody else having this problem until I found this site a few minutes ago. One person mentioned how you cannot resize the window, when I try to resize it it will jump down a 1/2 inch or so and then return back to the same spot. If you try it on the sides or corners it does nothing. I can print because if all you want to do is print 1 copy just hit the return button and it will start printing. I use a Canon MX870 printer and that is the dialog box that Windows uses for all printing tasks except when you want to print PDF files, etc. that are created with Adobe products. I never had any problem with any of the other versions and I think I might load down the one before the X. I have been on the Microsoft site and asked all these questions and not one high paid Microsoft employee could help with the problem and they acted like I was from Mars or something when I brought up the subject. Isn't there an Adobe tech that can help with this on this forum? Please help, Ervil Twink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The standard Adobe Reader X print dialog in Windows 7 should be as shown below - 695 x 728 pixels.

It cannot be made smaller as the contents of Acrobat and Reader X dialog boxes do not reflow, but at the default size it does fit on a 1024x768 display.

If your dialog box is a different size or shape, please post a screenshot and detailed system information, in particular if you have made any changes to the Windows accessibility and font size settings.

RX_win7_printDialog.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on this link and there is a screenshot of my printer dialog box that was posted on a Windows forum site that I had asked the same question as this original person to this post did. I posted a small shot and a larger shot. You can also see the other answers to the question which there were none as far as I was concerned.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/cannot-see-bottom-button...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dave

The print dialog box can indeed be made smaller. I have done it and it worked permanently. I didn't have to change my screen resolution.

It would be lovely if you would help me to find the solution I found previously. Then together we could help all the people on this page and the thousands of others who have no doubt given up on trying to find a solution.

Regards, Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution - with Windows 7 - on your desktop, right click and select "Screen Resolution"

Then look for link near bottom "Make text and other items larger or smaller" and click there.

The default is 100%, but I had mine set at "Medium" - 125% to make reading easier.

Now, to correct the issue at hand, I have mine set to "Custom" at 105%  - and life is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set mine at 90% and it doesn't make any difference. Changing the resolutions, screen percentage, etc. does not solve the problem of the bottom buttons hiding themselves behind the bottom task bar. Click on the link that I posted in one of the other replies and you can see what I am talking about on how the bottom buttons are blocked by the task bar on the bottom of the screen. Yesterday I decided to uninstall Reader X and re-install Reader 9.4 and the print dialog box is about 2/3 the size and all the buttons on the bottom of the dialog box are visable. The program works like it should. Now I wonder if I should try and reinstall Reader X and see if there had been a problem when it installed originally? I would like to know what is causing this on some computers and some operating systems? It doesn't seem to make a difference if the circumstances with each computer are not the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2011 Sep 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this never been resolved?  I'm having the same issue on WinXP and Adobe Reader X   AND  Adobe Acrobat Pro X.  But my dialog boxes are HUGE.  So huge you can't read anything.  The same thing happens with any security error pop-ups, the Preferences dialog and any warnings that I've not saved my changes, etc.  All I can do is hit ESC or Enter and hope that whatever is selected is what I want.

I have the full Adobe Web Creative Suite 5.5 and all the rest of the products - Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc. behave correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2011 Sep 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Xirad. I downloaded the 9.4 version of Adobe Reader and got rid of the X version and I have had no problems since except Microsoft keeps telling me daily that there is updates to this software available and would I like to update this at this time. I have to say know to that and say yes to the rest of the updates available of all the rest of the programs on my computer. Pain in the ass but at least I can print things out now. I have no clue what is causing it and why just a few of us is having the problem? Is it the computer we are using or what side of the equator we are located, etc. If anyone has the answers to this old problem, like maybe someone from Adobe???? I would be more than happy to download the X version again. Ervil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's frustrating is this problem is with a PURCHASED product, not just the free Reader.

I too did what everyone else is doing and uninstalled Reader X and instead installed Reader 9.  Print, Preferences and the rest of the dialog boxes work fine.  Though now I have an error where if I just launch Reader I get the app up but a gray background.  After about 30 seconds I get a popup error saying The File Was Not Found.  I think it's that little shortcut help window that's supposed to pop up.

BTW, there are still security updates for 9 and you should install those - even as recent as a few days ago.  I think for version 10 it specifically asks you if you want to upgrade.  Under Preferences, Update you can turn off the update check too.

If I have time I'm going to call Adobe and book a case, since again, I PAID for Acrobat Pro X.

Xirad

Here's what Preferences looks like in Acrobat Pro X:

acrobat preferences.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Xirad, you would have thought someone from Adobe would have gotten back to me, I email them over 6 months ago and never received any kind of communication in return. Oh well, the 9.4 version is still working fine so I guess I can’t complain too much. How come not everybody has the same problem? I am running an IBM Lenovo laptop, what are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Xirad

Yes, this problem has never been fixed by Adobe. Sadly I found a solution and then lost it.

Regards, Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ervil Twink

You are quite right. Changing screen resolution does not fix this problem.

How can this forum regard the question as resolved when it clearly isn't?

Regards, Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear 1blrjohn

How can life be good when everything else on your computer is now too small?

Fiddling with screen resolution is not eh solution.

Regards, Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having the same problem on WinXP with Adobe Reader X... Version 9 works fine btw. It has nothing to do with the screen resolution (i use the default settings).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On computers with low resolution, such as 800 X 600, the Print and Cancel buttons can be off the screen. The free 10.1.3 update to Reader and Acrobat addresses this issue. You can install this update automatically from within Reader and Acrobat. If you cannot update at this time, do any of the following:

• Drag the scroll bar on the right side of the Print dialog box down to access the buttons.
  • To print, press Enter or Return.
  • To cancel, press Esc.

This information has been taken from the following knowledgebase article Printing questions | Acrobat, Reader 10.1.2 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved all of my Adobe Reader frustrations, including this one, by

installing PDF-Xchange [

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer] and making it

my default .pdf software. I have not had a problem since and am very happy

with the additional functionality provided by this lightweight software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2012 Dec 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lori,

With all due respect, this is not an acceptable response.  I am running Windows 7 at 1280 x 800 resolution with version 10.1.4 of Adobe Reader, and the print window is still too big for my Viewsonic 22" screen.  Adobe needs to get their act together and FIX THIS!  If you need an example, just run Microsoft Word's Print Window.  Takes up less than 2/3rds of the screen, and has all the information needed in this window to print a quality document.  No excuse for Adobe.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John this is a user-to-user forum and I'm just passing along suggestions. You can feel free to submit your issue here at this link Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear LoriAUC

Your solution doesn't work. First you have to tick any boxes at the top of the dialog box that you want to tick. Then you have to drag the entire dialog box up so the top is off the screen. Now you can see the bottom of the box so you can click on Print.

This takes about 30 seconds instead of 3 seconds. Not satisfactory in the computer age.

Regards, Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines