• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Local Storage options - does it actually do anything?

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been playing with both updated Lightroom Classic CC and new Lightroom CC installs across my various machines/devices, trying to get a workflow that suits me.  This has involved test/dummy catalogs and photo's to help me figure out the approach that works best for me.

A key thing is that I have a main machine where I plan to use LR Classic CC and have my photo's on an attached external hard drive as my local master.  Once imported into a catalog (which has been migrated to LR CC) I expect them to sync up between Classic, CC and mobile apps.  This appears to happen ok and will allow me to work on my photo's whilst away from home with a different laptop.

However, I have limited disc space on my the travel laptop on the C drive (Windows 10 for info) so set both LR Classic CC and LR CC to use a custom local storage on my expanded D drive (1Tb).  This doesn't appear to have made a difference - even with this custom local storage option set, all of my local information is still in the default folder under my users path on the C drive.

This is annoying on two fronts:

1. I can't successfully migrate my main catalog from LR Classic CC to LR CC as the migration uses the C drive
  2. I don't want to use up the precious space on my C drive as it will slow everything else down

So, what's the point of the Local Storage option in LR CC and LR Classic CC?!

Cheers,

Gareth.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  I have a desktop with two local drives C:\ 64GB SSD and D:\ 2TB HD.  I've set creative cloud to use the D:\ and I've installed Lightroom CC on D:\, but the migration appears to only allow me to use the C:\.  Which is frustrating when I get the error that I need 106GB on the C:\ to do my migration to Lightroom CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's also confusing is if I have external storage bigger than 20GB or 1TB depending on my plan, how does that affect my CC library?

If I delete files on CC will that leave more room on the 20GB cap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaredp88250532  wrote

I'm having the same issue.  I have a desktop with two local drives C:\ 64GB SSD and D:\ 2TB HD.  I've set creative cloud to use the D:\ and I've installed Lightroom CC on D:\, but the migration appears to only allow me to use the C:\.  Which is frustrating when I get the error that I need 106GB on the C:\ to do my migration to Lightroom CC. 

Have you configured Lightroom CC to save your local files on drive D? The default location is in the Pictures folder, which is on C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I missed something in the migration process.  I did do the step of LR CC > Preferences > Local Storage then "change location", but I still got the error, "Note enough space on main volume, Lightroom CC needs enough space (106.68 GB on Windows) to store previews and catalog info."  How do I change the main volume location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, Now I understand the problem. I have a 1 TB SSD for my C Drive, and very little stored on it. If you have a very small drive there needs to be a method to change where Lightroom CC stores the previews, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit this same problem when migrating - I have a huge d drive and small c drive and Lightroom CC wanted more space on the c drive (for the previews and catalog) even though the photos would be on d:

I managed to workaround by moving the AppData/Adobe folder to d: drive, and then creating a symlink from the c: drive AppData/Adobe location to the new location on d:

Migrate then worked fine, and previews, catalog and photos are now all on d drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is annoying on two fronts:

1. I can't successfully migrate my main catalog from LR Classic CC to LR CC as the migration uses the C drive
  2. I don't want to use up the precious space on my C drive as it will slow everything else down

So, what's the point of the Local Storage option in LR CC and LR Classic CC?!

If you want to use classic and CC in paralell, I would not suggest to migrate the catalog.

Instead I would use classic as your main "reference" App, to Import your files, sort them on your harddrive on a NAS or where ever you want, and just sync the smartpreviews with LR CC. With this method, you save a lot of cloud storage AND a lot of local storage on your Notebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines