Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Runtime Error When Publishing

Explorer ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Several weeks ago I was given a new laptop with Windows 10.  I reinstalled all of my Adobe products including RoboHelp 2017 (13.0.1.27)and Captivate 9.

We use RoboServer 9.

Last week I uploaded a new SWF Captivate file to RoboHelp and then attempted to publish.  Repeatedly I get a  Runtime Error Program:...es(x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\RoboHTML.exe  abnormal program termination.  RoboHelp immediately crashes once I acknowledge the Runtime error.

I removed the newly uploaded SWF file and attempted to re-publish but it still fails.  I always check to see how far into publishing it gets before it fails and it will randomly fail on another SWF file or a PDF - all files which have previously published for over a year.

• I've tried deleting my .cpd file.
  • I've uninstalled RoboHelp and Captivate and reinstalled.
  • Needless to say I have had many reboots since.
  • I have tried publishing other projects and the results are hit and miss.  One time they will publish and the next time they won't.

I've searched forum after forum but haven't found quite the same problem and yet I tried every solution listed with no luck.

Is there anyone out there with a similar situation that has resolved the issue?  I'm scared that my entire RH project has become corrupted somehow.

Thanks in advance for reading this and offering any guidance or suggestions!

Julie Criswell

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Hi,

Just wanted to provide an update.  We stood up a new RoboServer running version 10.  The corruption of the multiple projects or failure to publish a fully functional project was occurring on our version 9 RoboServer.

All  projects, including the previously failing projects, now publish completely and successfully to the RoboServer version 10 and they are all fully functional.  I wish I could pinpoint the issue that caused the projects to start failing in the first place. 

Thanks for all the a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this is once again an issue for me - well, in reality, it never stopped being an issue.  I had one successful publish and since then, I've never performed a Republish All action.  As long as I just published changes, it was successful.

However, today, the project was inadvertently deleted from the server and now I have no choice but to republish all files.  I have repeated the steps mentioned in my original post again to try to get it published.  It failed on one PDF, so I deleted that PDF for now -- just as a test but it failed on a different PDF.  So I deleted and then re-imported all the PDF baggage files and removed the hyperlinks referencing those PDFs and and re-added the links back in.  Still fails.  Other attempts where it seemingly moves past the PDFs, it gets hung up on a Captivate SWF file.  Keep in mind, this is not a new project or even new PDFs or Captivate SWFs, it has successfully published for at least 2 years prior to this issue 6 months ago and now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is RoboHelp Server 9 compatible with Rh 2017? Check Adobe's site or Support.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I chatted with support and confirmed that WebHelp Pro publishing from RH 2017 to RH Server 9 is compatible. I am trying to see if they can offer any other assistance about this particular project’s problem

Thanks Peter!

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ended chat and remote session with Adobe Support.  He did a lot but in the end he said what allowed him to publish finally - were the following steps:

1. Delete CPD
  2. Delete XPJ
  3. He moved Project Folder from My Docs on C Drive to new location on Desktop (I would guess this would be optional)
  4. Start RoboHelp > File > Open > Project Folder Location > Choose HHP File
  5. Open project as HHP file. 
  6. Generate
  7. Publish - It finally published all files.

I have since just opened the project using the standard .xpj file and have generated and published successfully.

However, one caveat I will mention - is that it is now publishing with a hybrid of two different skins - but that is a problem I can work on tomorrow as long as the content is there!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised to see that was the solution. It is a known way of opening a corrupt project (it's on my site for that purpose) but I wouldn't have thought of it in this connection.

I have edited your post to number the steps and I think that Step 3 is what fixed it and probably would have done so alone. Behind it is likely a long path that exceeded the number of characters Windows supports. I didn't consider that as you had published before but likely you added something that just ran over the limit (256).

Using that method, certain things may have been lost. You need to take a look at Opening Corrupt RoboHelp Projects on my site and check them out.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, I have been on your site this morning, following the steps to replace the TOC, index and glossary files.

I've performed the steps, deleted cpd, and when I republish all, the TOC, index and glossary do not display.  Only the body of the help content is visible.

Any suggestion?  I'm publishing to a RoboHelp Server as you know and I have deleted the project from the server to republished cleanly but no luck.

Thanks,

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that was working after the Support session but not now? I am thinking that is what you were saying or you would not have said it was successful.

Does it work locally and not on the server?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did say that publishing was successful - and by that I mean I was able to publish without getting the dreaded runtime error.  Since it was also Friday night, I considered that a success as the content was visible to end users, but I also mentioned I was seeing a hybrid of skins displaying.  I published again Saturday morning and then again 3 more times today -- it is no longer a hybrid of an old skin and a new skin, but the image I pasted above.

I have generated it locally and the TOC, Index, and Glossary all display correctly. 
I will check to see if I can have the server restarted or supporting services.

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie.  Not sure what you mean by hybrid look. You mean the skin (toolbar, etc) is correct but topic pane content is not correct? I don't think I've ever seen this. Looks like some kind of server latency or caching issue. Be sure to also clear your browser cache as well.

As an experiment, could you create a Robohelp Server "Area" to make sure you're publishing to a clean space. Publish to that Area and see if the skin and topic pane look correct.

Sorry you're having difficulty.  Because Peter does not have Rh Server and I do,  you can zip up the project folder and send it to me via Dropbox,etc. if you like.

Or, email me using the address in my profile.

Thanks

John Daigle

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RoboHelp Server has been restarted.  I went so far as to create a brand new TOC (no copying) and then generating and publishing but same issue as previously posted image.  It is restricted to this project so I will need to go back through all of your recovering corrupt project steps to see if it can be salvaged.  Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

It appears I was typing at the same time.  When I referenced the hybrid look - it was as if the TOC had one skin and the content pages had another.  After additional attempts at re-publishing, I no longer saw the mixture of skins but rather the RH Server graphic in the TOC column as well as glossary and index.

I am attempting to publish now to a 'clean' area. Unfortunately I have plans that cannot be altered this evening, so I will need to pick this up tomorrow.  Thank you for your generous offer to help.  I will let you know how the 'clean' publish process goes.

Thanks everyone!

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again John,

After I published last night, cleared browser cache and tried multiple browsers, the project updated to look like this...

I haven't a clue - the above result is happening after publishing to a 'clean' area. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me the project please. I will take a look and I will put it in a Dropbox folder that John can access. Hopefully with two of us looking, we'll get somewhere.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

I was unable to use WeTransfer as the project, sadly, is greater than the 2 GB limitation.  I, instead shared it on DropBox to your email.

If you'd like, I can also send to John.

Thanks ever so much for any insight - my fear is that it is beyond repair.

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just wanted to provide an update.  We stood up a new RoboServer running version 10.  The corruption of the multiple projects or failure to publish a fully functional project was occurring on our version 9 RoboServer.

All  projects, including the previously failing projects, now publish completely and successfully to the RoboServer version 10 and they are all fully functional.  I wish I could pinpoint the issue that caused the projects to start failing in the first place. 

Thanks for all the assistance, patience, and support.

Regards,

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that, Julie! Please do let us know if you trip over any new info on this matter. It might help in the development of future releases.

Thanks!

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Julie, one more thing occurred to me. Can you ask your web team if by chance there had been an "update" made to the Java Runtime Version on the server machine at some point? In any event, it would be helpful to know the version of the Java Runtime that seems to be compatible for your RoboHelp Server 10 and RoboHelp 2017 combination.

Thanks!
john

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp