• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.lrlightroom file doubling my storage needs?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

New to the forum.  I've been using LR 1 through 4 forever, but recently made the jump to the new version of LR CC -- using an iMac I bought new in early 2017.  After downloading and importing my 270-ish GB  worth of photos, my computer almost immediately started running slow.  Did some digging and found out that I jumped from a photos folder worth 270 GB to nearly half a TB.  I found a single file -- the cataloge file named Lightroom Library.lrlibrary -- that's a little more than 200 GB. 

What's going on?  Does that file somehow include all or some of the photos I imported?  It's basically doubling the size of my photos folder, so I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how to do it right/better. 

I did search Google and this forum, but apologies if I missed an obvious answer somewhere. 

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Adam,

as soon as the files are uploaded to the cloud, it should start deleting locally stored images from that folder depending on what you set as preference in Lightroom's preferences. When you first migrate, it will copy over all originals into the folder you found and then upload those to the cloud. When that has happened it will start cleaning up those images. Lightroom CC does not keep originals on your local hard disk, it will store them in the cloud but can keep some local copies for rapid

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

as soon as the files are uploaded to the cloud, it should start deleting locally stored images from that folder depending on what you set as preference in Lightroom's preferences. When you first migrate, it will copy over all originals into the folder you found and then upload those to the cloud. When that has happened it will start cleaning up those images. Lightroom CC does not keep originals on your local hard disk, it will store them in the cloud but can keep some local copies for rapid access. This is contrary to the versions of Lightroom you have used before (and that are more full featured) that keep all images locally. That Lightroom has been renamed to Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so the solution is just to keep Lightroom CC open while connected to the internet, and as the files upload that cat file will decrease in size.  Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that's how it is supposed to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines