• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

May go from MBP to PC for Premiere. But...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preface I am a Mac and PC person. My day to day can see me on one of my MBPs, or in my IT capacity I am on a PC and have supported and built many PCs over the years. I've recently decided to put up more videos, usually running 1-10 minutes long.

I have noticed that working in Premiere on my longer videos that I am pushing the envelope on it's capabilities. Now I don't make any bones that this MBP is not mean to be a video editing beast, but I am now wondering if I should throw a PC at this issue to help speed up some of the editing and exporting capabilities.

I have a MBP 3.1 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD, and a Iris 6100. Paying back 1080 video can get choppy at times in Premiere so many times my preview settings are set on 1/2 to compensate. I do so basic enhancements and on average it seems that my export time is around 2.5x - 3x the length of the video. That seems a bit on the high side, so I guess first things first is setting a level of expectations. Now I don't plan on doing 4k anytime soon, but given the pace of things I would be remiss to not think of that as a possibility and I can only assume performance on my MBP would be atrocious.

So first question is just how much of a performance boost would I be looking at with a decent video editing rig

And if the investment is worth it, what direction to take. I have heard some people having some various issues with Ryzen and Threadrippers, and that performance of Photoshop on them is very bad. So I may stick with a i7 or maybe go up to a i9, descent board (one preferably with 8 memory slots), 32GB RAM and then bump up to 64GB when RAM prices go down a little. Probably a GTX 1060 card. I would envision that the build would also have to step in to do some gaming work when it's not doing video.

Would a competent build above produce desirable gains versus my bit long-in-the-tooth-for-video editing MBP?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?