• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Can a gradient be used with a halftone and not caus problems for the commercial printer?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a black and white illustration in Photoshop cc is created to be printed as a line art with halftone image, can a gradient with black and transparent be used with a halftone? I want to keep it a true black and white image to keep cost down. In the past I thought a gradient was made by the printer with 256 shades of gray. Is that still the same or can I combine the two to make subtle shade with halftones. This may seem like a simple question but I'm old school and worked with offset printing. This image with be printed in book for with a POD printer.

Thank you.

LBR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

The print shop would usually create the halftone when RIPing the file.

That at being said... This sounds more artistic than technical. Work on a layered copy to apply the gradient as a separate layer, darken or multiply blend mode to preview. Trash the image layer, convert to grayscale mode. Then convert to bitmap mode using a halftone screen pattern, then combine over the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate on the lineart/halftone combination you are trying to create?

Ultimately I expect you may have to ask your print provider about their printer’s specifics and if they actually can print with black alone and whether it makes a difference in pricing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for the reply. I'm working in Photoshop creating a black  line images with white being the paper. I would love to use a a transparent gradient with half tone screens for the shading. I'm not sure whether the printer will see the images as true black and white or think the it is a image with gray tones (256 grays inks).

Thanks again

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print shop would usually create the halftone when RIPing the file.

That at being said... This sounds more artistic than technical. Work on a layered copy to apply the gradient as a separate layer, darken or multiply blend mode to preview. Trash the image layer, convert to grayscale mode. Then convert to bitmap mode using a halftone screen pattern, then combine over the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Technically one could also combine the 1-bit line art with an underlying grayscale image in Indesign or Illustrator and export a pdf that combines bitmap and grayscale, but resolution considerations should be kept in mind.

For offset printing 1200ppi for 1bit bitmaps and 300ppi for CMYK- and grayscale-images are usually advisable but with print-on-demand I expect the digital printer may print at a lower resolution anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines