• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About "Replace with after effects composition". How to save the footage for later use in premiere

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

Im currently trying to expand my Premiere vocabulary by importing footage from Premiere to After Effects by the above mentioned method. My problem is that once I am done making the transition the footage in AE still affect the Pr footage, which is how its supposed to work, I understand. But how to cut the thread and save the footage in Pr so that the footage can be used after AE is closed?

Ivar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use at least two options:

1.- Render the composition in AE and replace the composition in Premiere with the rendered file.

2.- Export the composition in Premiere and replace the composition in your Premiere's timeline with the exported file.

The second way it is easier because it will export the file in the exact same size and format of your timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic link runs AE in the background. You can even have another project open in AE and a Dynamic-link will still work. The problem with using DL is that AE is running in the background so renders take longer. In some cases a lot longer. Every time I use DL to bring footage into AE and then create a complex comp that will take a long time to render I will render a digital intermediate (DI) using a professional 10 bit or better production format (mezzanine codec) and import the footage into Premiere. This saves a boatload of render time for complex projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think exporting in a HQ codec is the best option but involves a technical knowledge about formats and codecs and maybe my answer could lead Ivarp to a confussion. This is why I recommended option 2.

Anyway, every time I need to use the Replace with After Effects composition, what I do is:

1.- Duplicate footage in the timeline (in another video track) to have a backup copy of the original edit.

2.- Send to After Effects.

3.- Duplicate the composition to have a backup copy.

4.- Work in the original composition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jose!

Thanks for your suggestions. Nr2 sounded pretty straight forward, but when I tried to export the file in Ae and put it back inot Pr it only exported the video but not the transitions I had put made in the adjustment layer. How can I solve this? I am now trying nr1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Pre-rendering worked! I was then able to add it to add it to Pr WITH the transition intact. Thanks Jose!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how to cut the thread and save the footage in Pr so that the footage can be used after AE is closed?

BTW Ae does not have to be open for dynamically linked Ae composition to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so now I am able to render it in Ae, but I feel that I spend unneccesary time waiting for the render to finish on long clips where I only have been working on a 2 seconds transition. Anyone got a good idea how to solve that one?

Im familiar with exporting in Premiere so no problem there. Totally noob on Ae though so go easy on me on that one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi IvarP,

Did you get your workflow issue solved yet? Personally, I send clips to After Effects and merely perform a "Save." The comp then updates in Premiere Pro and I can export the effect directly from Premiere Pro. In other words, an intermediate render from After Effects is not always necessary. Makes sense?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's worth mentioning that DL comps or sequences update immediately even without a "save". it is of course a good practice to "save" because you could lose your work and revert to first state If your project is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines