• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I Render With AMD Radeon R7 M445 (4Gb)?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently bought a notebook for me which has an integrated GPU AMD Radeon R7 M440 on it. The problem is that I cannot select the Open CL option for rendering with my GPU on adobe premiere pro or encoder. I know that Adobe recently blocked some GPU cards for this function, cause they are too old. But here is the deal: thats not the case for AMD Radeon R7 M445 (4GB). On my point of view Its not an obsolete GPU. Why my GPU card is not on the list? Its because there is an incompatibility going on or there is another kind of problem going on, like it hasnt be tested and aproved yet by Adobe?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

I believe that Adobe requires a GPU that has 384 or more unified shaders and 24 or more texture mapping units in order to even enable GPU acceleration at all. Your R7 440 series GPU has only 320 unified shaders and only 20 texture mapping units. Therefore, with such a weakling GPU Adobe will be permanently locked to the software-only mode.

In addition, the architecture that's in the R7 44x series GPUs is actually much older than you thought: It is based on the lesser, cut-down GPUs that date way

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to try a different driver version. But even if you do get it to work, you will face the potential for extremely poor performance with either the R7 440m or the R7 445m because both GPUs are weaklings. They are based on the same weakling GPU that might fail to meet Adobe's required minimum performance, and they are both hobbled by only a 64-bit graphics memory interface with DDR3 (16 GB/second) or GDDR5 (32 GB/second) bandwidth. That's a laughingstock for a discrete GPU these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that answer! It was very usefull. But i really want if someone have sure about the incompability of this GPU with Adobe Premiere Pro cc 2017... thats my main question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that Adobe requires a GPU that has 384 or more unified shaders and 24 or more texture mapping units in order to even enable GPU acceleration at all. Your R7 440 series GPU has only 320 unified shaders and only 20 texture mapping units. Therefore, with such a weakling GPU Adobe will be permanently locked to the software-only mode.

In addition, the architecture that's in the R7 44x series GPUs is actually much older than you thought: It is based on the lesser, cut-down GPUs that date way back to the days of the Radeon HD 6000 series. As such, it may be too "old" to be supported in CC 2017's MPE GPU accelerated mode. Thus, AMD has been rebranding old GPUs with new names as frequently as, if not more often than, nVidia has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer! I've learned a lot! Now i can leave the idea to make it work by force and buy a new GPU, hehe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a AMD Radeon R7 M440 graphics card on my Dell laptop ( Premier Pro CC 2018  ), facing the same problem. The GPU is diabled.

Any solution will be helpfull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing you can do there: The GPU's performance is below Adobe's minimum performance requirement to even enable OpenCL GPU acceleration at all. This means that the R7 M440 is so weak that even CPU-only (software-only) rendering on some CPUs is as fast as or faster than that GPU, even with MRQ enabled in the software-only mode. Plus, it does not have a sufficient number of processing units (not to be confused with GPGPU cores) to even enable GPU acceleration, in any event: Premiere Pro's GPU acceleration requires 24 or more texture mapping units (32 or more TMUs recommended) to even enable that feature at all (the R7 M440 has only 20 TMUs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what are you saying , we throw that gpu card or degrade our premier pro version on 2016 is it run at that time ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set that card aside, and get a newer card. That's all that I can say at this present time. You cannot obtain any version of Premiere Pro earlier than 2019 any more.

And Adobe merely had to follow the GPU manufacturers' policies to discontinue support of almost anything that's more than two generations old. Adobe had absolutely no say at all whatsoever, in this case. And at the time that Premiere Pro CC 2017 was released, the GPU that the R7 44xM was based on was already three full GPU generations old (being of the first-generation GCN architecture that debuted with the Radeon HD 7000 series in 2012).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably a problem with the program since I use an R7 m440 and I can work normal in premiere pro cc2020 even sometimes I render at 4K obviously it becomes much heavier       I do not know how to solve your problem but I only comment that if you can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will Premiere Pro 2020 14.3.2 run? Yes. But performance is a completely different story. In fact, the R7 M440 can, and does, bottleneck even the CPU-only performance of any modern multicore CPU out there. As a result, its performance with GPU acceleration enabled would have been worse than an otherwise identical system with a higher-performing GPU would in software-only mode. And that is all because the R7 M440's memory throughput is much, much lower than that of even system RAM. And an otherwise high-performance system, in this case, is only as powerful as its weakest link.

In other words, do not buy any GPU that has only DDR3 VRAM for Premiere Pro. Especially one with only single-channel (64-bit) DDR3 VRAM such as these low-end parts.

The R7 M445 is a different story because although it still used a 64-bit (single-channel) memory bus, it is equipped with GDDR5 VRAM. Still, it does not perform sufficiently better than recent integrated Intel HD or UHD Graphics to justify its inclusion in such a system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines