• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sending RAW files to Photoshop CC

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure whether this is a Lightroom or Photoshop Forum question.  I'm using Lightroom CC to send Canon EOS M6 CR2 raw files to Photoshop CC.  Problem is, the raw file bypasses the ACR screen and displays directly in Photoshop as a TIFF file.  However, I can "Open" a raw file directly from within Photoshop, and that image is correctly displayed in the ACR screen, and can then be imported into Photoshop as a raw (CR2) file.  I've looked at both Lightroom and Photoshop menus, but can't find a way to make raw files viewed in Lightroom show up directly as a raw file in Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom CC are you referring to LR CC 2015.x, or to the new Cloud based version LR CC 1.0.1 which was introduced in mid October 2017??

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s by design so that the saved image from Photoshop (not Save As) is sent back to the LR Library. Most users will do the raw editing first in Lightrooom and will want a tiff for layers, text, selections etc as these tools are not available in Lightroom. But the full range of Camera Raw tools are available as a filter. Go to the Photoshop menu and choose:

Filter >> Camera Raw Filter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop - and it indeed brings up the image in the ACR screen where I can make initial adjustments, but... as soon as I hit the "OK" button, I find that the file remains a TIFF in Photoshop - I would prefer to edit a raw file in Photoshop.  I'm using the Lightroom CC v 1.0.1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you would need to commence editing in Photoshop and then import into Lr CC. As long as the raw file is in the same folder as the XMP file Lr CC should recognize the settings applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I could do that, but that workflow would make LR less useful to me.  I do want to view raw files in LR first - sorting thru images and then selecting specific files to edit in Photoshop.  For what it's worth, I'm a long-time CS6 (standalone version) user working primarily with Nikon raw (NEF) files.  Until recently, I've been using Nikon's ViewNXi to view/sort raw files and export to ACR in CS6 - now that I'm working with Canon raw files, I'd like to use LR (in a similar manner to NikonView NXi) as a raw viewing/sorting tool to select file to edit in PS CC.   As an experiment, I just tried Canon's Digital Photo Pro v4 to send a raw CR2 file to PS CC, and find that I also end up with a TIFF file in PS - meaning, that it's likely a PS CC filter/menu setting that's converting the CR2 raw into a TIFF file.

I thank everybody here in the LR Forum so their assistance, but I may move my question over to the PS CC Forum.  Aloha, Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understand. This should become less likely in future as Adobe introduce new feature updates and more raw tools into Lr CC.

To keep files as NEF or CR2 click "Done" not "Open Image"

Lr Classic may be more suited to your needs until Lr CC is more mature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"To keep files as NEF or CR2 click "Done" not "Open Image"    I don't see these choices on my screen.  Just to be sure I understood you correctly - from within PS, I select the "Filter" Menu, scroll down the pop-down to select "Camera Raw Filter..." and the ACR screen shows up.  The only two choices available on the ACR screen is "Cancel" and "OK".  When I choose "OK", I go to PS and the file (incorporates whatever changes I applied in ACR) still shows as a TIFF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was referring to opening a raw image directly in Photoshop. Then you will see the "Done" button.

Opening from Lightroom means the file has already been rendered as a tiff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines