• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add subject to my email in captivate

Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
At the end of my captivate project, i want to send an email to my manager. I know i can use the mailto: function to make this work, but what if i want to also add a subject line to my email? can i do this in captivate?
thanks
JT
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there JT

Yes indeedly do! Here's how it can be done.

After you type the E-Mail address, you append a question mark followed by the word subject and an equal sign. Then you type the Subject Line you wish to add. Something like this:

someone@somewhere.com ?subject=Any subject you like here

But there is a catch. Captivate won't like it if you enter things that way. It will choke and gag and spit up on the spaces that are there. So you have choices.

CamelCase (AnySubjectYouLikeHere) but that's icky
Underscores where spaces appear (Any_subject_you_like_here) but that's almost worse

Or my favorite. Insert %20 where a space occurs. Like this:
Any%20subject%20you%20like%20here

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2008 Aug 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your feedback. It didnt work for me when i put in the code as suggested:

jt@jt.com?subject=Any%20subject%20you%20like%20here

I got a blank email with my email address but no subject line. Any idea. I am using lotus notes
thanks
JT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JT

I tried simply copying and pasting the string you listed and it opened eMail just fine with the subject line intact.

Out of curiosity, what is your eMail client? I'm guessing that maybe not all eMail clients operate the same. I've done this using Outlook Express and Thunderbird. Seems to work fine in both and I could have sworn it was a pretty generic piece of code. But who knows...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,
What's an email client? how funny is this? It worked on my PC, with subject line and display of my email address. But when i put the published files in the server and tested it with anohter PC, no subject line 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

When you read E-Mail, you read it using an E-Mail client. Nowadays there are locally installed E-Mail clients and web based E-Mail clients. Locally installed clients include Outlook Express, Outlook, Lotus Notes, Thunderbird and others.

Web based clients include GMail, YAHOO mail, HotMail and others.

Local clients are probably the only ones that will work with this. So if your end user is only using something web based, you are probably out of luck for making it work. At least using the mailto protocol. Maybe there is a protocol that works for web based clients. If so, I'm unaware of it. I'm more than happy to share what I know, but I'm the first to admit that I don't know it all. I learn new things every day. So maybe there is a method out there.

Take a look at the following link: Click here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2008 Dec 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to captivate, but i did find this thread which answered half of my question. But my second part is, is there a way to fill in the body of the message or at least have the email automatically send?

We are using Outlook 2003 at my company.
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2008 Dec 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi JT

Try adding something like this: &body=Some%20body%20text%20here.%0D%0A%0D%0AHere%20is%20a%20new520line.

There is no way to automatically send as far as I know.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources