• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could someone define exactly what "Front Image" refers to in Photoshop Path Operations?

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel I could understand this function better if I knew exactly what this refers to; I haven't been able to find one up to now. Is it the last shape or path added to a layer? If so, can it be moved to the back? If I have multiple shapes on a layer, can they be re_ordered so that a different one is at the front?

Again, if anyone has an exact definition of what "front image" refers to, I would be most grateful, and it would help me wrap my head around its function.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reorderShapes.jpg

Where exactly is a

"front image"

mentioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean here?

If so the "Front" shape is the last path drawn (unless reordered in the way shown by c.pfaffenbichler

So if I draw the left path first - then the right - the right oval is the "front" path

The combined fill shape looks like this :

Subtract Front looks like this :

Intersect looks like this :

Exclude overlap looks like this:

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Dave!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And sorry, I did mean “Front Shape” not “Front Image.”

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way of considering front image: if you have more than one image in a Layer, the one that's first in the list is the first image.

You can drag the layers to rearrange the order (except the background Layer which you have to click on the padlock to convert it to a Normal layer before you can move it).

Oh, I just noticed you were asking about Paths so the earlier answers are more appropriate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Derek!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines