Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font size is too big, even when 6pt is selected

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for viewing my question, i need an answer asap as i have a website waiting to be launched.

First off, i select the rounded rectangle tool. The image I am working with is 200px by 150px zoomed in 3 times.

When i select the text tool and type nothing happens, so i hide the layer then unhide it and the cursor is almost half the size of the image.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Best,

Tyrone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

At 350ppi an inch has 350 pixels, a point has 350/72 pixels and so 6 point text is 350/72*6 pixels, that is a design size of about 29 image pixels. And you’re viewing at 400% so it’s 116 screen pixels. So this is what I’d expect. Your text is still tiny if the image is used at 350ppi, anything smaller will be unreadable.

If if you don’t plan to print at that size, set the resolution to the required value, life will be easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are applying type directly to the rounded rectangle, correct? You mentioned using 6pt, so I can't imagine it's too large to show within the shape. Silly question, but what color is selected for your font? I have a tendency to frustrate myself from time to time by inadvertently changing the text color to the same as the background on which it will appear. Doh!

Assuming that's not the issue, can you post a screenshot of what your workspace looks like (ideally with the big cursor)? It would also help to see the character panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been trying all day to open photoshop and I kept getting the spinning circle, anyhow I got an image which shows the size of the cursor, font etc. photoshop_issue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As c.pfaffenbichler asks, can you let us know the resolution under Image>Image Size. Also, can you open the character panel Window>Character and take a screenshot of the settings. It looks from the shot you provided that the issue is probably a combination of file resolution and baseline shift, but seeing the settings will tell us for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IThe resolution is 350ppi.photoshop_issue2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At 350ppi an inch has 350 pixels, a point has 350/72 pixels and so 6 point text is 350/72*6 pixels, that is a design size of about 29 image pixels. And you’re viewing at 400% so it’s 116 screen pixels. So this is what I’d expect. Your text is still tiny if the image is used at 350ppi, anything smaller will be unreadable.

If if you don’t plan to print at that size, set the resolution to the required value, life will be easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing you can do is to highlight the text size field, and type in the size you want in pixels, like "18 px". Press Enter, and you'll see it change to points, the number depending on what the resolution is, in ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image’s resolution (Image > Image Size)?

Please post a screenshot including all pertinent Panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point size is a unit inherited from traditional typesetting. It is a physical size unit corresponding to 1/72th of an inch - in other words 72 points to an inch.

In digital terms, that means the document's assigned resolution comes into play, because that's how physical size is established in a pixel-based raster file.

We always say ppi doesn't matter for screen work, and it doesn't - except for text!

So here's 6 point Helvetica in a 200x150 pixel document:

72ppi.png

300ppi.png

600ppi.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines