• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topic References

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to introduce some sort of referencing system into my robohelp project, so that all the topics are labelled/referenced in a logical way. The reason for this is because the support desk would like to be able to email a quick link to users, so that they can open the help and quickly find the answer to their problem. Currently support is only able to copy and paste the content from the help manual - this is problematic as it means that users don't actually look at the manual and realise their answer is in there!

I was thinking that maybe this could be done using the Map ids - any ideas?

By the way i am using RoboHelp X5 to generate Webhelp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi robm44 and welcome to the RH community.

Check out this link on the options for calling webhelp which may give you some pointers. To be honest it may just be a case of your helpdesk having a list of URLs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look in Snippets on my site. There is something there that will help Support create an email with a link built in.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for the tips - i'll definitely use the mail this topic idea!

Just one problem - i have been looking at the calling webhelp page on the grainge website - mainly the using webpages and using map ids. However i haven't been able to get any of them to work - i think it is beacuse my RH files are split into a number of folders so my explorer can't find the exact links. Would this cause problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try turning on the BugHunter feature in RH and see if that offers any clue as to what is going on. The fact that the files are in different folders should not make any difference provided the project's alias file is referring to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2008 Dec 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have over 4000 pages of guidance in our main guide. What we have done is put a footer at the bottom of each page that shows the file number (small text). When an accuracy checker is pointing one of the users to the action they should have taken they quote the file numbers. Users can then use the search to find each of the pages that have been quoted.

It was easier for us to do this than ask the accuracy officers to quote multiple page titles.

Don't know if this is something that would work for you or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2008 Dec 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the idea NianNorth - i think something like that would work.

Just a quick question. Did you go through every page putting in the file numbers? Or did you do this automatically? As far as i can see there is no autotext function (like the one used by microsoft word) in RoboHelp, so i am bit stuck on how to actually add the file numbers to the 1500+ topics in my project, any guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp