Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating Photoshop 5 Extended from 32 to 64 bit

Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PS5 Extended as a stand alone on my home desktop and a laptop. I often go to a remote location where there is no internet or cell phone signal and a very patchy landline connection. Creative Cloud use is not a reasonable option and sat phone is horribly expensive.

Recently upgraded to Windows 10 and increased my RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB but on PS5 it only accesses 4 GB max. Been trying to download an upgrade file (2 files actually) but no success. File name is Photoshop_12_LS1.exe but cannot download the other file I apparently need. The instructions are, at best, vague.

Can anyone tell me would I be better just uninstalling my current PS5 and re installing the 64 bit version of PS 5 Extended?

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Actually the same installer for photoshop cs5 should have both the 32 and 64 bit versions included, so the cs5 install files you already have should work and on a 64 bit os cs5 should install both 32 and 64 bit versions.

If your win 7 system was 64 bits already then are you sure you don't already have a 64 bit version of cs5 installed?

Look in C:\Program Files\Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Creative Cloud not a reasonable option? I ask because there are many myths about it (e.g. the myth that it is "cloud software")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should I pay Adobe again when I have purchased a legitimate licence and am using it in accordance with their terms and conditions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You changed your OS, that's why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and then upgraded RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB. Now trying to access 8 GB memory on PS 5 Extended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the same installer for photoshop cs5 should have both the 32 and 64 bit versions included, so the cs5 install files you already have should work and on a 64 bit os cs5 should install both 32 and 64 bit versions.

If your win 7 system was 64 bits already then are you sure you don't already have a 64 bit version of cs5 installed?

Look in C:\Program Files\Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, you have won the golden hammer and hit the nail on the head.

Used your suggestion and I now have 64 bit on my Desktop PC and my laptop, well done and thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fe HDD ggf fffffg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi melaniea63189129

You have me at a disadvantage. Not only do I not understand your language but I am completely baffled as to it's origin

Am I correct in assuming it is the typo tongue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to understand you don't need to be connected to the Internet to use the CC versions of Photoshop (or any of the other apps in the Creative Cloud suite).  You download the software to (up to two) computers and use it in the normal way. Adobe checks online (I think) one a month or so to check you're up-to-date with your subscription.

The Photographers plan only costs around $10 a month and includes updates and Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to upgrade a standalone version, purchased at considerable cost some time ago from Adobe, to 64 bit as I have just upgraded my memory and OS. CC would be a waste of $10 a month.

Can anyone tell me how to do this on line? Failing that can anyone tell me how to contact Customer Services for an answer as I cannot find any links other than one that leads me back to CC.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't buy a stand-alone version of Photoshop anymore, only a subscription. You can get the cut-down version – Photoshop Elements – on a stand-alone disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, good point. May already be running the 64 but version. Especially because it’s impossible for a 32 bit app to use 4GB. 3GB is the absolute max for some apps, usually it’s 2GB. These limits are unconnected to the amount of RAM installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jeff pointed out, PS comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions and will install one or both of those versions on your computer depending upon the system. You need to deactivate PS, uninstall, then reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless of course you already have it, which would then be a lot of effort for no benefit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines