• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brushes only work on brush tool?

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm trying to do a scatter effect with my eraser tool using a few of the "Special Effects Brushes" but when I choose the brush. It automaticlly goes back to the Brush tool... Umm??? What?! Why? Whoes idea was that? Can I disable that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

In the new version of Photoshop brushes can be saved with or without tool presets. This means that a brush can be saved with or without the associated tool and tool settings.

To see which have tool settings and which have not, in the brushes panel, go to the options at the top right and check " show additional preset info"

A small icon will appear next to those brushes that have a tool settings saved with them

To convert a brush with tool presets to one without, choose "New Brush Preset" at the top

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the top of brushes panel are showwn the last brushes used.

If you select the brush from these icons Photoshop reselect the last tool used with that brush shape...

last brushes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new version of Photoshop brushes can be saved with or without tool presets. This means that a brush can be saved with or without the associated tool and tool settings.

To see which have tool settings and which have not, in the brushes panel, go to the options at the top right and check " show additional preset info"

A small icon will appear next to those brushes that have a tool settings saved with them

To convert a brush with tool presets to one without, choose "New Brush Preset" at the top of the menu, then in the dialogue give the brush a new name and uncheck "Include tool settings"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for late Re-

Thank you.

Though I'm not enjoying this new set up. =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone with this: Can't make eraser from last brush used

The workaround posted here may be fine for a small set of brushes, but I would never imagine to do this for the included brush packs by Kyle T. Webster which include several hundreds of brushes. Those worked as erasers in the old Photoshop versions, but not anymore. This sucks big time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put in a features request for "an easy-to-access checkbox that allows the user to either use brushes' tool presets or apply the brush to the selected tool." Vote for it here: Brush presets: Can't change the tool (presets locked to a particular tool) | Photoshop Family Custom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dave has outlined, some of the brushes use Tool Presets, and with all the new Kyle Webster brushes, that amounts to a good few of them.  It is not hard to set up a brush with scatter for the eraser though.  I'm punching a hole directly into a red layer with a hard round brush with these settings:

Spacing 230% — to prevent the holes bunching up too much.

Size jitter 100%

Roundness jitter 50%

Scattering 1000% with both axis checked.

However I'm sure you realise that you could use Kyle's Tool presets by painting with black into a white layer mask.  And I have to say that Kyle's texture is a LOT more interesting than my scatter eraser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the other issue i have is that i dont like how it represents the brush in a stroke line. As you can see the bush is supposed to be a cloud brush set but i cant distringuish one cloud fom the other in those "stroke" setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.  Just turn it off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I turn all four options on I.e.

Brush name

Brush stroke

Brush tip

Show additional preset info.

That gives the most comprehensive view including being able to see which brushes have tool settings and what tool they are tied to.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave.

So did anyone come up with an easier way to free up the brushes for other tools.

I want to do it for many brushes and creating a new brush set for each one is very time consuming.

Thanks.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the current version you can load any brush without changing tools by holding Ctrl+Alt and clicking on the brush

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines