• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Ecosystem: Selective Sync

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a professional and have only used Lightroom for less than a year. I do love the redesign and I want to use it but I don't like the auto-sync. How hard would it be to implement an option that prevents auto sync and instead enables manual sync? 

My idea is to add a manual sync option in the settings and when you want a photo to be uploaded to the cloud you should be able to click on the cloud button and hit "Sync" or "Upload". Taking away people's ability to choose doesn't just scare away the pros but also the beginners. 
Also, some advanced features from the original Lightroom need to be added. One of them is the export function. The new export function is terrible. I only see "Small, Full Size, and Custom". The original Lightroom has a lot more export functions.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Selective Sync (by keeping select items local) was released in the Local Storage Feature today on Lightroom Desktop. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 211 Replies 211
211 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. I am actually ok with everything syncing as Long as i can delete things on my pc or other devices and the RAWs staying in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just migrated to Lightroom CC from Classic. 1TB isn't enough space for all my photos (i need to cut them down a bit but thats another matter). Is there a way of choosing which phots Lightroom syncs across my devices or does it just try and sync everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Lightroom syncs all your original files maybe you need to decide if you need to use New LR CC or LR Classic CC.

Check out this video.

The New Lightroom CC - Why You Might Care - YouTube

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to see some sort of synch control. I know the marketing department wants everyone to buy the 1TB storage option, and in doing so choose between just CC or CC + Photoshop + CC Classic. But quite frankly your storage is a bit overpriced for customers who are already committing to your platform. I should be able to tag photos with a "synch" tag and have them synch to the cloud. Making things all-or-nothing purely to squeeze every last penny out of customers is just abusive. I only need to store my "important" images in the cloud. I would LIKE to use Lightroom to manage all of my originals, but you are making it difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Apparently my full CC subscription only gives me 100GB of cloud storage for Lightroom. This is frankly a bit ridiculous because this limitation prevents me from even starting to use the software when I know that there won't be enough space.

For this reason I was wondering if I can use the software locally? In other words: If I put my Lightroom file in my Dropbox and let Dropbox sync it, what happens if I reach the 100GB limit? Will the software not accept any additional photos?

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Enhancement request to enable a settings which prevents Lightroom CC file library to sync to the cloud and only work locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see two possible Ways of doing this.

The easy way is, Never Sync setting.

The hard way is, the % cloud slider goes the other way. So the use can select how much to keep on their local drive (today) and also how much to sync to the cloud (feature enhancement). This would keep the the use casevto allow sync across devices of the most recently used images but not all the old ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That combined with the possibility to save the local-only RAW files to an external hard drive (only).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DdeGannes. But what about if I have a laptop with limited storage and I need to edit pictures there? I have a large catalog up to 700GB and that cannot be in my laptop but It is in my desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't download all of the originals unless you ask it to. It just downloads a copy of the catalog from the cloud and some small editable previews, so it won't need 700GB of space on your laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have more photos than storage space in the cloud. I'd like the ability import all of my photos to Lightroom and then select only a subset to upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, i would like to know if there's anyway i could add new pictures to lightroom without the sincronization to the cloud. It takes a long time and it isnt usefull for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually like the Lightroom CC frontend. They should use that and replace the tiny buttons in the Classic frontend. But, I cannot use Lightroom CC cause it needs the cloud stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do adobe developers actually read this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
at the moment, the Lightroom CC-app auto-uploads all new images, including the ones received through messenger apps or downloaded from the internet.

It would be nice if we can decide which folders should be synced. In my opinion, only the self-taken photos are enaugh.

Thanks and kind regards
Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC requires the ability to select what is uploaded, and what is not.  I know that this is a GEN 1 version, but I need to be able to use it exactly like I do Lightroom Classic CC.  For the most part, I NEVER want to upload anything automatically.  If anything, I will explicitly select and upload the files that I want in the cloud.

I have a 28TB NAS, soon to be 80TB, and I have absolutely no need for, nor would I ever want, large 3rd party cloud storage.  I only use it for finished products on a temporary basis.  My NAS replicates everything that I need to all machines that I need it to replicate to, even when I'm on the road.  Synology makes AWESOME products, and there is no way that I could afford this storage in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to prevent an album from being included when LR CC syncs with cloud storage from a mobile device.
For example, if I am travelling or working remote and want to perform some preliminary ‘quick’ edits on an iPad while away, but I do not want these images to be sync’d to cloud storage or downloaded and available to LR Classic until I deliberately import them through the Classic application. I realise I can turn sync off on the iPad, but I believe ‘all’ images will be sync’d to cloud storage (and then downloaded to Classic) when this is turned back on. I was hoping to be able to exclude an album from the sync, but cannot see that this can be done. Any advice appreciated. Tks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love the ability to decide which files get synced up to creative cloud.

I am an amateur photographer and graphic designer, so I pay for the full suite of apps to get illustrator / photography tools. However, the full suit of apps only comes with 100GB of online storage. I can pay to upgrade to 1TB for $10/mo but honestly that is so expensive I cannot justify it because I use my NAS at home anyway for backup and redundancy.

There are though features I would love to take advantage of in Creative Cloud that I cannot because I had to turn off syncing. For example, I would love to make a portfolio website for my photography and having the photos synced from Lightroom CC would be amazing and easy, but I can't do this because my photo library is over 100GB.

The other biggest problem is that it uses up all of my illustrator space. I love using the Creative Cloud library to sync my assets across apps and devices. (Creative Clouds asset library is one of my favorite thing about the Adobe suite as a whole in this SaaS world.) So I can't sync any of my photos to creative cloud otherwise I'll lose all of my illustrator space.

Please add a selective sync option! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to have a feature available throughout Adobe Cloud - simply selected by folder properties - to auto-sync or not to auto-sync.  That way the user can move assets around in folders which do sync automatically across devices and assets that do not - but can optionally be requested to sync manually.  Problem solved if the developers go that route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By making the sync system auto, you are excluding many people who will not pay the high price of your storage system, thus rendering the sync system unusable for many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selective sync is only available in Classic and then it only syncs smart previews. If classic would also sync full raw, it would be the perfect solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot about 2,000-4,000 images a week, by not allowing selective sync it prevents me from being able to work on image on multiple devices on specific images as the uploading of the images takes far too long for me to be able to work on my most recent (or selected) images. I will have to find an alternative photo editing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit across many devices. Some of them I want to get all photos, some of them have much less free space and I only want to sync a subset of photos to them. Selective sync per-device would be a huge benefit here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -- I'm wondering if in Lightroom CC you can choose which albums/photos you want synced to your mobile app? For example, I have one album that I categorize all my instagram/social media photos in, and one album for personal photos. I only want the mobile app to have the photos that I need for my social media platforms. I don't need all the personal photos on the mobile app. Can you choose what photos are synced to the mobile app or not?

Thank you, Amanda

Votes

Translate

Translate