• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will a higher core Ryzen CPU be more future proof for Premiere?

Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know with the Ryzen chips, there's the "But software will be updated to better use cores so Ryzen chips may end up with the advantage in the future with software optimization" talk. I'm due for a an upgrade very soon and torn between a Ryzen 7 1800x or an i7 7800x. I probably won't upgrade for another 3 years at least so I am wondering about that possible core optimization and if by going Ryzen I will be winning out if Adobe ever decides to get Premiere to make more use of the cores.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, there is a lot of work that Adobe would have to do because every new feature for quite some time now seems not to be well threaded.  Take my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) which was designed back in the days of CS 5 and CS 6 has one test that tests the CPU performance with a CPU only test and also tests the same timeline with GPU acceleration.  It has a lot effects and 2011 features.  It is extremely well multithreaded and if you look at the PPBM test results I have accumulated of the past 6 years you can see that the Ryzen 7 1800X does quite well.  Now if you look at recent testing by Puget where they throw into their testing the newer or less well multithreaded features other fewer core CPU's like your i7-7800X may be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i was reading some articles stating that some things cannot be threaded well. In which case, there is a physical limit to how well color programs can handle multiple cpu's. Some color functions cannot be run parallel. This problem didn't become apparent until the RAM speed itself actually started to matter how well a computer performed. Remember when people said "oh, RAM speed doesn't matter" Now it can add 20% performance boost. What is it boosting? It's boosting communication with the cpu! Why? because the CPU doesn't have 128GB of onboard cache, that's why! Now all software programs are trying to offload computing power to the GPU's as the architecture for CPU's is at a standstill. And now look at Davinci, for example, you need at least 8GB VRAM to even run a small number of 4k nodes before a memory crash! The only thing we can do now is faster frequencies but moore's law is hitting a noise/heat barrier. Unless a new hardware technology breaks through, we're sunk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines