6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 9:21 PM by MikeKPhoto

I Continue To Be Impressed with Photoshop CS6

Noel Carboni Level 8

Just doing some testing today with the released Ps CS6 code, and all I can say is WOW, it doesn't cease to impress...

I just stitched a 25893 x 6119 x 16 bit pano from 11 raw files in under 3 minutes.  Then I Content Aware Filled some rough edges and that completed more quickly than I have ever seen such an operation complete, even on a much smaller file.  Then I did Shadows/Highlights and that completed interactively, as did Smart Sharpen.  A bit of cloning perfectly was interactive as well.

Not only did all these operations finish quickly, making working on a reasonably large document painless, but I got a superb result - not even a hint of a problem anywhere I could find.  Great color from Camera Raw, no blotchy skies and no stitching remnants anywhere from Photomerge...  Just a natural-looking panorama of a beautiful day outside today.

I put a half-sized copy of this result online if you're curious to see it...  It's still pretty big - it's an almost 14 megabyte 12947 x 3060 pixel JPEG:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Neighborhood_Pano.jpg

So far Photoshop 13.0 right out of the chute seems to be more stable than it's predecessor when stressed to do big things.

Adobe has a real winner on their hands here I think.

Have you got success stories with actually using Photoshop CS6?  Or even the other kind?  Let's hear 'em.

-Noel

• 1. Re: I Continue To Be Impressed with Photoshop CS6
          gator soup Level 4

$399 Upgrade on Ps Extended - ouch!

• 2. Re: I Continue To Be Impressed with Photoshop CS6
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you expect anything different?  Anyone remember what the upgrade price for Extended was last time?  I was on the standard path, and that's $199 this time, as it was last time.

-Noel

• 3. Re: I Continue To Be Impressed with Photoshop CS6
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

That's a big file Noel.  And 16 bit as well.

Thanks for sharing the picture.  It is getting decidedly chilly here, and a bit of Florida sunshine at least gave the impression of warmth.   It reminds me of a trip to your Everglades with us Brits in shorts and T-shirts, and the locals all wrapped up complete with coats! 

BTW  What is your sharpening technique?  Those palm fronds are very under control, and just the sort of high frequency area that can go nasty.

• 4. Re: I Continue To Be Impressed with Photoshop CS6
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

gator soup wrote:

$399 Upgrade on Ps Extended - ouch!

$399?  You were lucky.  About US$617 for Australia and New Zealand.

• 5. Re: I Continue To Be Impressed with Photoshop CS6
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

BTW  What is your sharpening technique?  Those palm fronds are very under control, and just the sort of high frequency area that can go nasty.

Thanks.  Generally speaking, I sharpen at upsampled resolutions.  In this particular case I used my fractal sharpening actions on the full resolution image, just because running the Perfect Resize plug-in is an activity that normally stresses the system, and it ran flawlessly even on this huge image.

Photoshop CS6 definitely stands up to stress better than its predecessor, so that probably means that in normal operation it's just going to run and run without fault.  It will be interesting to see if we have fewer "Photoshop crashed" types of posts here on the forum in the coming months.  We already know we're not going to have the "Photoshop crashed and I lost my file" types of posts (because of the new auto-save).

-Noel

• 6. Re: I Continue To Be Impressed with Photoshop CS6
                    MikeKPhoto Level 2

I did not try the Beta and downloaded and ran a test drive this evening. Had a nasty install issue where it reported my new download was a pirated copy ; but turned out to be a download manager problem.

Installed on my new i7 (8 core with 16 GM RAM) and man does this thing fly. I take lots of pano's and often get files in excess of 1 GB, PS CS6 handled them with grace and speed, much better that PC CS5 installed on the same machine.

Looking forward to puttin through it's paces over the next few days, and I tell you this release feels solid, well compared to LR4 which bit me in the rear end a couple of times

MK