3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 8:01 AM by Pet3689

.PNG Transparency Trouble in Robohelp

techwriter918
      Hi! I'm trying to import a .PNG pic into my Robohelp file. The background of the .PNG is set to transparent, but when I pull into Robohelp, the background remains displayed. I've tried other picture formats that have worked (with diminsihing clarity) but want to know if I'm doing something wrong with the .PNG file. Thanks!!
        • 1. Re: .PNG Transparency Trouble in Robohelp
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi there Rhett

What created the PNG? Are you certain the background transparent color is all the same? I know that PNG supports millions of colors, so it's quite possible to have the transparent color just a fuzz different than what you see.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: .PNG Transparency Trouble in Robohelp
            lillibetUK
            Techwriter, Did you sort out this problem?

I'm having a similar problem in X5. The background of the png image is set to a transparent colour, so when I import the image file into a topic, the background colour displays in what seems to be a random colour, sometimes pink, or green, or brown...
            Is it possible to define the transparent colour in Robohelp by some means? So far I haven't found how to do this.

Thanks!

Liz
            • 3. Re: .PNG Transparency Trouble in Robohelp
              Pet3689 Level 1
              From my limited experience, your problems are related to incompatibility problems in general, not transparency per se.

PNG comes in many sub-formats, and RoboHelp can deal with only a few limited sub-set.

For example, we had a lot of problem by using PNGs that have 16 colors. Instead, we need to convert them (back) to 256 colors.

Also, if we compress PNG images, often RoboHelp does not deal with that very well.

I am telling you all of this, because instead of focusing on the transparency itself, simply try a slightly different PNG format (number of colors, compression, etc.) or a different tool.

We have used batch-conversion tools (IrfanView, etc.) with success for this purpose. It takes a bit of trial and error, but we established "rules" for PNG.

We prefer PNG over GIF because their size is so much smaller.