9 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 7:32 PM by wonderspark

What to do with a 2nd SSD?

alexdejesus Level 1

My current system SSD barely holds Windows 7 and programs with just 18 GB free. I have another 120 GB SSD sitting around not being used. I'll eventually build another system, but in the meantime wondering if it is a good idea to install it - maybe use it for pagefile and/or programs to free up the system drive.

The Sandy Bridge motherboard currently has an open 6 Gb/s port (Marvell) System drive is on the other Marvell port. I have a pair of RAID 0 drives on the Intel 6Gb/s ports and two on the 3Gb/s ports.

I have plenty of storage on two RAID arrays.

• 1. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do not use it for any write intensive operation, like the page file.  Many people recommend two RAID 0 arrays if you have a good backup plan.  You are opeating dangerously any time you have a hard drive over about 60% full, I would guess the same would hold true for the SSD.  Have you turned off your hibernation mode in the OS?

• 2. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My boot drive uses about 50Gig for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & several small programs

If you have not already moved your page file,

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 3. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
              alexdejesus Level 1

I started another threat that more fully describes my setup. By the way, I redirected the swap file to another drive, but I get a message every bootup that a temporary pagefile has been placed on the system drive.

I have Win 7 and CS5.5 on SSD with a couple of other programs/plugins. There must be something else that I don't see taking up a huge chunk. Hibernation mode? I have it set to 'never go to sleep'

• 4. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>message every bootup that a temporary pagefile has been placed on the system drive

I do not have that message, so my GUESS is that you did not redirect your page file according to Microsoft's instructions

There are settings in Premiere Pro (and, I think, Encore) to put the working files on a drive other than boot... otherwise the default is on the boot drive

I have all of my projects and PPro temp files on my 2nd hard drive (with page file) and all media on my 3rd hard drive

• 5. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd probably use it for the new Global Cache feature of After Effects myself.

• 6. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
                    alexdejesus Level 1

I turned off hibernate, but it kept the 30GB file on the hard drive even after reboot. I had to go into dos to delete it. The pagefile would not go away, so I reset it to a minimum value of 16 MB on the system drive and a second larger pagefile on the b drive. Strange computer, but I just freed up 50 GB.

• 7. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"One last step that I do is go to a cmd prompt and turn off Hibernation.  With the prompt up type in “powercfg –h off” of course with out the quote marks.  This will free up (after next reboot) disk space on your OS boot disk equal to the size of your RAM."

This a quote from my personal tuning procedure

• 8. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
                        alexdejesus Level 1

Absolutely! Done. Freed up 30 GB with hibernation alone. Seems to be working well. No problems or freezes. It would be a kick if that was all there was wrong with my machine. If so, I replaced RAM, hard drives, PSU, and graphics board might all be in good enough condition to build another machine!

Thanks for all the input. Now finally I can press on learning the software. CS6 on preorder - looking forward to it.

• 9. Re: What to do with a 2nd SSD?
                          wonderspark Level 1

I have two Crucial M4 256GB SSDs. I use one as my boot drive, and the other is a clone of it, in case of disaster. Nothing faster than popping in a new identical clone to get back up and running. Also helpful when you do an update that borks your system, for example.

Anyway, that is the best use of a second SSD in my case.