23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 7:31 PM by minnow68a

Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes

cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi

Been playing with Premier CS6 since downloading yesterday.

I am getting regular crashes (windows tells me premiere has stopped working)

I add a clip onto he timeline, I add the warp stabiliser, analyise then play back - I go back to effects to change some warp settings, and the crash occurs.

Anyone else seeing this before I report to adobe

Thanks

Chris Anderson

• 1. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Definitely report it, but my best recommendation is to avoid Warp Stabilizer like the plague. It's really messed up in Pr CS6. It will cause project files to bloat uncontrollably (or, at least, until you delete the effect), the UI to slow to a crawl, and other not-so-niceties. It can work OK in smaller projects with very short clips, but anything more than a few seconds long that requires a fair bit of stabilization is, to quote Steven Tyler, like tap dancing on a landmine.

Read this, too: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/05/memory-and-storage-tips-for-warp-stabilizer-and -3d-camera-tracker.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
            cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin

Thanks for the info, that is very disappointing for a new product when the technology was around before in AE.

Hopefully, Todd will see this - if so Todd, are there urgent plans to fix this soon ? including the crashing

Colin/Todd: would this apply to AE also do you think ?

Regards

Chris

• 3. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Whether you use it in AE or Pr, I think the best advice is to do so in a project that is separate from your primary assembly project. That way, if things go pear-shaped, you don't lose all your other work, as well. Obviously, this means rendering out from that project, but it's a far better solution than crossing your fingers and hoping things don't implode.

Don't get me wrong: what Warp Stabilizer can do is nothing short of amazing. But I think it really, really sucks that this time bomb shipped in the product. Users everywhere in all kinds of production venues are likely to use this effect, because it's there and it's REAL-TIME (after analysis, of course), but the potential side effects make this a really dangerous proposition.

Caveat emptor.

• 4. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Colin

Thanks for your reply.

Will follow your advice.

The training videos from adobe offcourse dont mention this, everything is so brilliant and all looks rosie in the garden - then you buy the product and find out!

What happened to pre-release testing???

Will try what you suggest and play a bit more before I report - hopefully with some specific step-by-steps

Thanks again

Chris

• 5. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings! Out of curiosity, what footage type are you using? Have you tried a different flavor of media?

• 6. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                    cjacs987654 Level 1

Dont apologise! more info from you in a couple messages than from Adobe!! i you see what i mean

The files are .mov, havent tried other formats yet but will do before I report to Adobe

Chris

• 7. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                      TradeWind Level 3

Colin's info is pretty good. Unfortunately, this is a similar problem to what has existed in stabiliser effects for nearly a decade. The main difference is that Warp Stabilizer actually does work VERY well (the final result, that is). But the project bloat and resource hogging that's required is seemingly not going away anytime soon. That's sort of the by-product of having to "fix it in post" I suppose. The best thing to do is only use it on the portions of clips that really need it. If you have a 30 second clip with a few bumps during the middle spanning a few seconds, then trim that portion of the clip out to a separate segment and apply the effect only right there.

I used to use keyframes on older stabilizing effects and wondered for a while why it took days to render. I had the effect applied to a 5 minute clip but only keyframed to be active during 15 seconds. Similar to what's going on nowadays, although warp stabilizer is better and a bit faster anyway.

Good luck! My best investment in solving shaky camera footage was a Steadicam Pilot, but that also costs a lot and takes more time to learn than it would to render out a few sequences with Warp Stabilizer.

• 8. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                        cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Christian

Thanks for your reply. As i have just downloaded CS6 I was trying PP out. I had 1 clip on the timeline, about 15 secs long and applied the warp stab effect to that - hardly a difficult job for a brand new product. - and it crashed!!

In warp stab was not ready for release, why did adobe do it and show a polished training video to show it works.

My PC has 12gb, i7 processor, SSD sata2 for o/s and SDD sata3 for adobe cache, that coupled with the greatest latest version of Adobe PP, doesnt give much confidence

I do have a 3rd party stabiliser (mercalli) that works very well so the technology is possible - why cant Adobe do it

Sorry for the moan, I have been with adobe products since the old 6.5 -pre CS days, and it is a brilliant piece of software, but sometimes I cant work out what is in the minds of the adobe people.

Moan over....

More testing ....

Chris

• 9. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                          carl nes Level 1

Warp stabilizer was one of the reasons why I upgraded. Reading this is certainly worrying. I really can't jeopardize my projects beeing bloated. I really hope Adobe is working on improving, and providing stability fix. Thanks to C Jolly and C Brougham for describing the workarounds, so I'm not running my head in the wall - and don't understand why things slow down or crash. For now I will certainly wait adding stabilisation in my project to the last step in post.

• 10. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                            shooternz Level 6

FWIW

My first test with Warp Stabiliser in CS6 went perfectly without a glitch. Result was outstanding.

This thread has freaked me though ...and I am going to be very cautious how and when I use it next!!!

Hopefully others will try and report back...positively...hopefully.... (to restore my confidence)

CS6 WIN7

• 11. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Please read this post on the After Effects team blog, it has to do with Warp Stabilizer and resources, and is applicable to Premiere Pro.
                              http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/05/memory-and-storage-tips-for-warp-stabilizer-and -3d-camera-tracker.html

• 12. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                Pcenginefx Level 1

Clean CS6 install as well as Win7 Ultimate here.

Put a 10sec clip into a new project timeline with Warp Stabiliser.  No crashes at all when messing with any of the settings.  Took about 2mins to analyze a 10sec clip on my Hexa-core i7.  Project file WITHOUT Warp Stabilizer on my clip was 3.5MB.  WITH Warp Stabilizer it jumped to 7.6MB....

• 13. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                  wonderspark Level 1

I'm still on 5.5, but I used Warp Stabilizer on a 4:45 long clip of DSLR footage of driving up a mountain highway for fun, and it had no problems handling it. This was in AE 5.5, Mac Pro with GTX 285 and 32GB of RAM, media on an 8-disk RAID6 of HDDs. I'm wondering if your use of SSDs for the media could be causing problems.

As soon as I get CS6 loaded, I'll try it in Pr and AE again.

• 14. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Project file WITHOUT Warp Stabilizer on my clip was 3.5MB.  WITH Warp Stabilizer it jumped to 7.6MB....

Now you're seeing it...

Here's where I realized something was amiss: I had a less than two minute sequence, all hand-held footage, that I wanted to stabilize. There were only about 6 or 7 clips in the sequence, and no other effects. I dropped Warp Stabilizer on the clips, and let it analyze... it took awhile, but I was OK with that. When it was done, despite Warp Stabilizer being a GPU-accelerated effect (after analysis), most of the clips were red bar. Hmm...

So, thinking maybe I just needed a restart, I saved my project. And I waited. And I waited some more. About a minute later, my project final stopped saving. Weird. So I tried to do something in the Timeline... and it was like running through a tar pit.

I killed off Pr, and went to check my project file... it was over 50MB... for a 7 clip, less than two minute sequence. That's a problem. When I finally got the project open again, I purged all the Warp Stabilizer instances, and saved a new copy of the project. This time, it was about 1.3MB. That is a HUGE difference, all attributed to Warp Stabilizer. Needless to say, I'm very reluctant to Warp Stabilizer do its damage to my project files, regardless of how good the output is.

So, let this be a cautionary tale. If you think you'll only need to stabilize a few seconds here or there, or you're totally cool with working in a completely different project to stabilize your footage (though look how well that worked for me), go for it. Fair warning...

• 15. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                      unadog Level 1

I just came across this and need to go test.

Two suggestions that I have seen mentioned elsewhere (not my ideas):

1) Using dynamic links and running Warp Stabilizer in After Effects, (hopefully no bloat there) and

2) Applying Warp Stabilizer in a separate project, then rendering out a clip to import into your main project.

Obviously the first solution is a little more elegant.

More after testing.

Best,

Michael

• 16. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                        petergaraway Adobe Employee

Hello Chris,

I hope things have been going more smoothly for you.

I wanted to see if you can provide me with some more details. You said " I go back to effects to change some warp settings, and the crash occurs."

Can you tell me what settings you changed? Also, what camera did the media come from?

Thanks in advance!

• 17. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                          cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Peter

I havent spent much time since, as I have a projewct to work on but it is not related to going into options. I can simple launch and exit and that generates the error. I have sent the debug reports that it creates

to adobe support (i assume you have these but if not let me know and i can email them to you)

I was using a Canon 60d that creates .mov files, but i will try other formats to see if that changes anything

Thanks for your help

Chris Anderson

• 18. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                            petergaraway Adobe Employee

Hi Chrish,

Thanks for the info. I should have asked this before but can you tell me the resolution and frame rate? Thanks for your feedback.

• 19. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                              cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Peter

No problem, 25p 1920x1080

Regards

Chris

• 20. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                                Carl Schuurbiers Level 1

I noticed that warp stabilizer in Pr uses only one core (of 8 in my system). Not sure if it used more cores in Ae, just noticed by coincidence that in Pr it uses only one core.

• 21. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                                  Dumac1989 Level 1

I too am disapointed that warp stabilizer doesn't work well in PP CS6. I send my files to AE to do it and have had no problems, however, that can become very tiresome. I'm a journalist and I have to turn around material quickly and on most projects I can't afford to play around and send every item to AE.

Thankfully, rolling shutter repair works fine in PP CS6. I shoot on a Canon T3i, most commonly 1080p 30fps.

• 22. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                                    thetasound Level 1

I'm a bit late to the party but I've had an adventure with Warp Stabilzer.

Needing to correct some MTS HD 60fps footage for shakes, I was delighted to find out Pr now comes with WS, borrowed from AE. My 23 second clip needed help, for sure, but it was not an impossible task. I waited about 8 minutes for WS to analyze the clip. Then checked out its first result: smoother but almost as bad as the raw footage. So I set the dropdown to No Motion which is supposed to lock down the camera viewpoint. Got a warning that I needed to change another setting to Stabilize Only, so did that. The result? All black. Nothing. Whoa... Now I've seen demo clips of WS online and the before and afters look pretty good. The befores are shaking more than my clip. Why doesn't WS work?

Meanwhile, I found out about Mercalli V2 from the Adobe forums, so I installed the demo. Analysis took less than a minute. The result? Perfect! Now I'm really scratching my head. How could AE's (now Pr's) WS fail completely and Mercalli succeed? BTW, Mercalli V2 costs $250.

The purpose-built system I'm using consists of i7 3.4 ghz CPU, 16 gb RAM, SSD video drive, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, GTX 660 card 2 gb DDR5 RAM (MPE enabled and running).

• 23. Re: Warp stabiliser in Premiere CS6 crashes
                                                      minnow68a Level 1

I tried warp stabilizer on a 4 minute clip to see what would happen.  PP used 48 gig of memory (which is no problem since the machine has 64 gig of RAM).  But after analysis, PP became unresponsive.  I used task manager to shut down PP and tried again.  Same result.  I left the machine and gave PP five hours after warp stabilizer was done, but it was still unresponsive and I have to shut the process down.

Clearly, warp stabilizer is not stable yet...