17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 7:31 PM by timtro

CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5

knetz editor

I must be doing something wrong. I purchased and downloaded the Premiere Pro CS6 upgrade. I created a new project and import 3 MTS AVC clips and put them in the timeline. The project window lags/sticks on playback, even at 1/2 res. When I went to out H264 it took 15 minutes to comeback with time estimate of 4 hrs 30min of a 55 min timeline.

I put the same clips into CS5.5 - no playback issues, and on same output settings, under 30 minutes to render.

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... click these links and provided the requested information

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

• 2. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
            filmfx

I have the same problem ... but no solution ...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4387830#4387830

• 3. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
              knetz editor Level 1

Ok, my bad...I had the VBR set to 2 pass (default) in CS6, wheras I use VBR 1 pass in CS5.5, so rendering is actually faster in CS6

55min 1080 60i AVCHD with 3-way color filter -> h264 vbr 1 pass 3min/5max 640x360: render time CS5.5 - 37 mins, CS6 - 27 mins

There does still seem to be some lag issues wth the Program Monitor window in CS6 vs CS5 keeping up with scrubbing/timeline jumps ...sometimes I put the cursor to a new point in the timeline and it takes 10 seconds to refresh the Program Monitor still, or when I go to a new position and click play, the timecode advances in the Program Monitor, but the picture is stuck...even at 1/2 or 1/4 playback res

I'm on a 2012 MacPro 12 core/24GB Ram, OSX10.7.3

• 4. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                genefama Level 1

Any solution yet?  This is exactly what I've been experiencing. I hit play, the playhead moves the video stays still.  Renders take hours.  Beachballs spin.  I haven't seen anyone from Adobe address any of these threads.

• 5. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                  jasonvp Level 3

knetz editor wrote:

There does still seem to be some lag issues wth the Program Monitor window in CS6 vs CS5 keeping up with scrubbing/timeline jumps ...sometimes I put the cursor to a new point in the timeline and it takes 10 seconds to refresh the Program Monitor still, or when I go to a new position and click play, the timecode advances in the Program Monitor, but the picture is stuck...even at 1/2 or 1/4 playback res

I'm on a 2012 MacPro 12 core/24GB Ram, OSX10.7.3

I don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to add my name to the list of folks experiencing this on a Mac.  I've seen the same lag with scrubbing, etc.  But, I haven't done enough editing with CS6 to really nail down when/why/what happens.

FWIW: source material for me is 1080p Sony AVCHD.  I've got an nVidia card in the Mac and MPE is running in hardware accelerated mode.  Forty Eight Gigs of RAM, 2 x 3.46GHz 6-core Xeons for processors, and lots of spinning disk.  Editing this stuff in CS5.5 seems snappier than it does in CS6.

jas

• 6. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                    nick_2333

Hi,

Yes I'm using a dell 702x laptop win 7, 16gb with Nvidia 555m card. Added the card so that the mercury engine is working.

I shot with a sony pmw 500 and imported all the mxf files with no probs,

I put down my shots and thought this is great. The I put music underneath and everything was fine.

As soon as i sped up some shots i started to drop frames dramatically.

I'm curious. If i find that cs5.5 is quicker then I'll have to go backwards.

Adobe?

• 7. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                      tudor@apmadoc.net Level 1

I have an i7, 12GB of Ram, WIndows 7

I'm seeing the same issue - right now I have a "render work area" running.  It's been running for 19 hours and it's stuck on frame 3000 (seems like a very un-random number), shows 89 hours remaining......

• 8. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                        timtro Level 1

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that CS6 (if not other versions) has a bug with regard to MTS files. I can render a timeline once but the second time the render does not work. As the comment above mentioned, 2 pass doesn't work. Extremely long estimated render times turned out to be a frozen process.

The problem has appeared in Media Encoder and Encore.  In Encore I find I cannot go directly to DVD without generating a "hardware error", but when I create an ISO and copy that to disk instead the project is completed with no problem (not sure why that is different). Media Encoder often simply stops encoding a few (50) seconds in as the "estimated time" ticks on and on.

It appears to me that CS6 may have issues when accessing the original MTS files.  The problem is that most of my work now involves using MTS files.

There was a previous issue with regard to Nikon AVS files appearing as audio only that worked correctly in CS5 but not in CS6 until I found (in this forum) that the solution was to install a program that contained a missing CODEC. This makes me believe that CS6 may have other unresolved  issues with MTS and/or certain CODECS.

Perhaps I need to adjust the memory settings or update a codec somewhere but at this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

• 9. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

There is indeed a bug with some MTS clips over 20 minutes in length (spanned) that will cause the behavior you notice.  Current solutions are to use an older version of PP, or convert your footage to something else before you edit.

• 10. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                            timtro Level 1

I've had the same issues with short MTS clips also. It would be better if Adobe could just admit and then fix the problems. Adobe should also let Tech Support in on the secret so they don't waste hours reloading video drivers and reinstalling programs, as I experienced.

• 11. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Non-spanned clips do not generate the bug I was talking about, so something else is going on with your setup.  Answer the following, maybe we can sort it out.

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

• 12. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                                timtro Level 1

Are you sure about that?

I have two editing setups: one is AMD Phenom II and the other is Intel I-7, both use Nvidia Cuda video cards (285 and 160 respectively), and both have max memory they have slots for (16 and 14 GB).

The problem appears  the same way on both. I have two cameras - one is Sony (TD10) the other is Panasonic (Z10000). Same file types, same CS6, same problems. Sometimes I can get out of trouble switching back to CS5 but not always.

Adobe Support has spent upwards of 20 hours in the AMD machine and the only result has been damage that I've had to repair with assistance from Nvidia Support. I'm having to use other software to complete jobs.

• 13. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Are you sure about that?

Yes.  The specific bug I'm talking about only occurs with spanned clips.  If your problem occurs with shorter clips as well, it's something else.

• 14. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                                    timtro Level 1

My Intel (I-7)machine did have the problem with long clips from a legal deposition. The issue could be software conflicts with Edius 6.5 or Vegas Studio which are also installed on the same machines. However both the other programs run without any problems on both machines. The AMD (Phenom II) machine also has Avid Pinnacle for converting VHS tapes. I temporarilly uninstalled Pinnacle (14) to see if it might be involved but there was no difference in the CS6 rendering issues.

• 15. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, I wouldn't expect those programs to interfere (as long as they're not running).

These aren't 3D clips, are they?  PP may well not work with those.

• 16. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                                        timtro Level 1

The legal deposition was 2D MTS files and the DVD would not render unless I went to ISO.

In some cases I make 2D videos from the source 3D clips in Premiere and then the 3D versions in Edius. Lately I've had to use Edius for both 2D and 3D versions and Vegas Studio to make the DVD. I would prefer to do the 2D files in Premiere because I've been using it for so many years and I am more used to the effects.

It's frusrating not to be able to indentify the source of the rendering problem. When Media Encorder locks up there's a quick flash on both screens which is what made Adobe Support want to reinstall the Nvidia driver, which did not solve it.

There's a clue in there somewhere but I'm not finding it.

• 17. Re: CS6 plays and renders very slow vs CS5.5
                                          timtro Level 1

A new beta driver provided by nVidia seems to be more stable now, but I ordered a Quadro 4000. Hopefully that will solve the stability problems I've been having.