8 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 11:18 AM by Peter Spier

CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue

macinbytes Level 4

I have a document with a bunch of paragraph styles that use Myriad Pro Regualar as a base style. Whenever I paste in or pull formatted text in from another font and slap the paragraph style up it choose Myriad Pro Italic, rather than Regular.

I don't see anything wacky going on and never got that behavior before when I was using Helvetica Neue, which admittedly did not have any "Regular" face, nor did I ever use the 55 Roman face of it for a base.

This a known issue I missed?

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 4.28.25 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 4.28.27 PM.png

Slightly OT. Did someone have a contest to see how they could possibly make these forums worse and more unweildy? My hat is off to the winner. What a labrynthy maze of use to no one this thing turned into.

• 1. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I guess the first question might be is there a character style or local formatting applied?

• 2. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue

By the way, I forwarded your comment about the new look to forum admin. He suggested it would be very good if you could post your feelings over in Forum Comments. I think this thread might be appropriate: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4388236#4388236

• 3. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue
              macinbytes Level 4

Looking it over it is pulling my last character style in my list for no apparent reason and applying it to all text. I'm just throwing away the style and then doing my formatting. On this document the only use of character styles I have is for nested grep stuff. Kind of a tight deadline on this one, so I'll just make do and work out the issue on another project with this template.

I may chime in on that thread but these forums just get worse and worse in terms of look and functionality. Looking at the bullet points it sounds like making them worse was the intention and peppering the company's latest acquistions in along with the running theme of pushing off tech support from America to India to the community to no where. I don't see why anyone would browse these things in this state.

My favorite still was the open letter to customers from Adobe's president apologizing for terrible customer support, which they promptly did nothing about and I still find myself on the very rare occassions I have had to call in long wait times only to talk to someone with the most vague understanding of how to speak English.

• 4. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue

I'm not going to get into a discussion of customer service or the new look here.

I'm not clear on the exact sequnce of what's going on here. You say "paste or pull in" text with another font, then "slap up" the style. Are we talking about adding text to an existing story? Making a new frame? What does the Character style say at the insertion point before you add the text?

• 5. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue
                  macinbytes Level 4

Pull in would be a place as in pull in from another document. The newly created frames were pulling the character styles and attaching them without doing any formatting, so they text looked normal until a paragraph style was applied. I guess strange behavior, to me, since they had the character style applied to them without actually doing anything to the text in terms of appearence. I would expect if the text would hold a character style that was just Generic any font face Italic like I have it would make the fonts placed show up as italic, which wasn't the case. Probably just word import funkiness.

• 6. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue

Sounds strange to me, too. did you try .idml? Is it chronic across differnt files?

• 7. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue
                      macinbytes Level 4

It's every file I do in this template. Doing the IDML pass before your first reply is what made me look back and see that it was inheriting the character style, but using the incoming new word paragraph style. It just kind of makes no sense to me that when I place text it keeps the character style assiged but with a +, ignores the paragraph style.

I guess now that I know it is going to behave that way I'm fine with it. Still seems like the wrong behavior to discard paragraph style but maintain character.

• 8. Re: CS5 Paragraph Styles Question/Issue

Sounds a bit like the template is set with the character style applied as the default, but I'd really need to see the file to have any hope of figuring out what's happening.

As far as the character style overriding the paragraph style, that's expected, and perhaps the whole point of using character styles. A minimalist style, such as one that does nothing more than create itaics, or turn text red, can be used to affect selected text in the paragraph like your product name, and when the editor decides to change things editing the style or applying a new one will not remove that special treatment of the product name, though any attributes NOT specified in the character style will change to match the new paragraph style definition.