5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2012 2:07 PM by futureSpooker

After Effects CS6 preferences crash

futureSpooker Level 1

error.png

I get this after opening the AE CS6 preferences and closing the window. This crashes the app. Doesn't matter what parameter is changed, clicking "OK" crashes AE with this error.

• 1. Re: After Effects CS6 preferences crash
          justanidea Level 1

Use AE on another user a/c

Please also provide more information about your computer

Opreating system

Display Card

RAM & Processor

• 2. Re: After Effects CS6 preferences crash
            futureSpooker Level 1

It first started when I turned on the disk cache feature. I eventually turned it off ( crash included ) and deleted the folder it was being stored in. Seems to have fixed the problem. If I turn disk cache back on the problem returns.

System Specs: Quadro 4000 for Cuda with no displays connected to it.

specs.png

• 3. Re: After Effects CS6 preferences crash
              justanidea Level 1

Issue might be with Disk permission

try to change the location of disk cache

repair the disk permission for your internal drive

if issue still persist then

remove all USB drive then reboot your computer

Set disk cache on internal drive

and try to Run AE again

• 4. Re: After Effects CS6 preferences crash
                Amir Stone Adobe Employee

Yes if you can isolate the issue to a disk permissions issue that would be helpful. If you switch disk cache folders does it fix the problem? If so what are the permissions on your folder that was causing the crash? How much free space do you have?

However I am suspicious that it is disk cache related, since your error message indicates it is a graphics card issue. Can you go to Preferences->Preview->GPU Information->Copy and paste that info here. Also, do you have a crashlog?

• 5. Re: After Effects CS6 preferences crash
                  futureSpooker Level 1

It seems to have been isolated to the DIsk Permissions issue. I initially chose the same directory as my CS5.5 install which I'm guessing was causing the conflict. I deleted the entire directory and started from scratch. The cache directory was also on an external fiber attached DAS RAID, so when I reparied permissions in Disk Utility, it only did it to the internal system drive. Once I repaired permissions on the external volume and re-created the directory everything seems to be working fine. Fingers crossed.