7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2012 2:24 PM by signcarver

Love CS6 - but a few quirks

MikeKPhoto Level 2

I am really enjoying Photoshop CS6 and familarzing myself with some of the new features amd changes. Love the new user interface and the speed. But miss some of the control layouts in CS5. For example the CS5 Crop tool with the ability to specify the size of the crop along with setting the resolution. This was a great productivity tool cropping for a specifc matt window and the final resoultion for print. With CS6 we have the size paramters but the resolution box is buried menu item. Is there any way to bring the resolution box back to the crop tool bar?

Cheers

MK

• 1. Re: Love CS6 - but a few quirks
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Nope, no way to change the UI.  Lots of folks commented on this in the public beta as well.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Love CS6 - but a few quirks
            MikeKPhoto Level 2

Shame as this was a very efficient way to work.  I think the only way to keep productivity up is to create a Crop preset which allows me to enter resolution

MK

• 3. Re: Love CS6 - but a few quirks
              HEAD Productions Level 1

Can someone at Adobe tell us why this was done? It seems only to make this a more awkward process! What issue does it solve?

• 4. Re: Love CS6 - but a few quirks
                MikeKPhoto Level 2

Well Adobe is just a plain tease, with the Perspective Crop tool, you do have the resolution box, and in mu humble opinion would rather see the resolution box with the standard crop. If I needed to save a picture or make some artistic change with the perspective tool I would not worry about the final resolution with the desired result taking preference over resolution. Whereas with the standard crop the resolution is really desireable as the image is in it's final stage.

But would be really interested in hearing why a GUI change is not possible as the underlying code is already there with the Perspective Crop, would not think it would be that difficult to implement?

MK

• 5. Re: Love CS6 - but a few quirks
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

MikeKPhoto wrote:

But would be really interested in hearing why a GUI change is not possible

What I meant was that there's no way for you to configure the new Crop Tool to show the boxes the way you want.

I never meant it's impossible for Adobe to do it, but I can say with confidence that it's not likely to happen with Photoshop CS6.  It's released, and Adobe just doesn't make big changes to the product after release.

Clearly they did this on purpose, because the designers are convinced it's better.  It may be the way it is from now on.

I hadn't thought of it before but you could actually just use the Perspective Crop tool exclusively...  If you just move the sides with the center handles (not the corner handles) it works the way you expect.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Love CS6 - but a few quirks
                    MikeKPhoto Level 2

Yup, figured that our after I posted my update, but took me a few tries to realize I had to use the center handles, as I originally used the top and bottom and was not until after I had printed an image realized the poor person in the portrait had gained a few facial pounds. So looks like I will use the perspective crop going forward, but not as really designed

MK

• 7. Re: Love CS6 - but a few quirks
                      signcarver Level 1

i miss the resolution not being there. As a web designer i used it heavily. Julianne Kost had a tip on her blog that if you use the regular crop tool click inside the crop area and then tap "R" it brings up a dialog box where you can enter the resolution.

i tried the perspective crop but it doesn't seem to honor the values you set in the properies bar until after you crop.