Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 crashing when saving

Explorer ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Since adding a javascript to topics in my project, the topics with the script crash on saving. I found a similar unanswered post (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2567866#2567866).

I am working on a project with over 600 topics in it, and the crashing is getting to be very annoying.

I am using Windows Vista Business SP2 , Intel(r) Xeon(R) CPU @ 2.66GHz, 2.00 GB RAM, RH 8.0.2.208 (RH HTML). RH and the projects are on the local drive.

I tried a smaller project with only 6 topics and the same thing occurs when the javascript is added.

If anyone can be of assistance, it would be much appreciated.

Adele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Hi Peter

I think I have solved the problem.

I had the twisty2a.js baggage file at project level. I shifted it to the same folder as the Show All button and Hide All baggage file via the project manager and then shifted it back via the folders. For some reason it seemed to clear the problem. I can now edit and save topics with the Show All/Hide feature without it crashing.

Thanks for all your help, Peter.

I'm glad you liked the tables. It was a bit of work to figure out. Now that we no longer produce

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty clear that the javascript is the cause so what is it supposed to do and how/where are you adding it?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I am using the twisty2a.js script to add Show All and Hide All buttons to open/close drop down text. I followed the instructions from William Van Weelden, and it works a treat.

I have used the two button method. The script is saved to the project folder and added as a baggage file, along with the Hide All image. Outside of the crashing on save, everything else works ok.

I just seem to have this unfortunate side-effect.

The problem occurs whether the topics are directly in the project folder or in sub-folders. I had initially created a small project to work out how to add the functionality in, which was when I first noticed the crashing. Even when I recreated the project, and imported the htm files in, it would still crash.

Adele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Properly installed that script does not cause crashes.

Willam's script is also on my site with different instructions and a demo that you can download. See if that helps.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/twisty/twisty.htm

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

That was what I used. I have had another look through the documentation, but I can't see where I went wrong. I had a look at the demo as well and not even viewing the source could shed any light on it.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm only using the Show/Hide All, and not the twisties. (Also, a correction - I am using the one button method).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me the small project you have created.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I have sent the project to you as per your instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adele

As you acknowledged, the project you sent me is not crashing so it's a bit difficult to pinpoint what was causing that problem.

I don't think the fact that you used the Show/Hide from Willam's script and the RoboHelp built-in Twisties would cause any crashing as RoboHelp's method is CSS driven.

I cannot see anything obviously wrong so I can only suggest you send me the project again if the crashing starts again.

Nice tables in your project.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I think I have solved the problem.

I had the twisty2a.js baggage file at project level. I shifted it to the same folder as the Show All button and Hide All baggage file via the project manager and then shifted it back via the folders. For some reason it seemed to clear the problem. I can now edit and save topics with the Show All/Hide feature without it crashing.

Thanks for all your help, Peter.

I'm glad you liked the tables. It was a bit of work to figure out. Now that we no longer produce PDFs I have been having fun using the Table Styles.

Regards

Adele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That must mean the path to the file was wrong. Getting that right is covered in the instructions.

That said, the wrong path would cause the buttons to fail but definitely not cause any crash.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp