4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 10:25 PM by Joyce Hong

    Can't copy TTF chinese characters

    Joyce Hong

      Hi all,


      I am facing a problem copying Chinese characters in True Type Fonts (DF-HeiW5-A and DF-SongW3-A). When I copy and paste, the texts become some unidentified symbols.


      The working file is an InDesign file, and the PDF is generated using a postscript file via Acrobat Distiller 9.2.


      I noticed the problem happens because the original fonts were somehow substituted into one with the extra extension "GBK-EUC-H". I am not sure how this occurs, but I suspect it's in the distilling process.


      When I open the PDF and use the TouchUp Text tool, a warning appears: "Since the original font is not available, a substituted font for editing is used." The editing font will be the same font as in InDesign (i.e. without the extension). And only then can I copy the Chinese characters while in TouchUp mode.


      I've tried searching the Internet for answers and I found that the extension "GBK-EUC-H" means there's a missing CMAP? Also, I noticed that in the Acrobat Distiller embedding font source, the two fonts mentioned are not found. Any ideas why these two fonts are not available? Is it possible to add it into the Distiller font source manually?


      Thanks a lot.

        • 1. Re: Can't copy TTF chinese characters
          David W. Goodrich Level 3

          My Firefox 12 displays Joyce Hong's message as a large blank area unless I click on "View print preview" among the Actions listed to the right.  Can others see her message, or my reply?


          As for the question of getting good Chinese codes into and out of a PDF, why not generate PDFs by direct export from InDesign?  Distiller isn't nearly as sophisticated when it comes to handling modern fonts.



          • 2. Re: Can't copy TTF chinese characters
            Joyce Hong Level 1

            Oh dear, I also used Firefox 12 when creating the discussion, but it looked just fine yesterday after posting. Today, I see a large blank area too.   Thank you David for providing a solution though, or else no one would be replying my question. I can see your reply btw.


            You've brought up a simple solution that I've overlooked! Exporting directly from InDesign does solve my problem.


            However, I am determined to solve this Distiller issue because my ex-colleague used exactly the same programs, fonts and process, and yet there were no problems copying chinese characters from his PDFs! Unfortunately, his PC was formatted before I knew of this problem and wasn't able to do a comparison.

            • 3. Re: Can't copy TTF chinese characters
              David W. Goodrich Level 3

              If the re-formatting of your colleagues PC lost the only copies of the PDFs then there's no telling how they were generated.  But if the PDFs remain, their document properties can tell you the application used to make them: checking a file from 2003, I see it was made with InDesign 2.0.1 and PDF Library 5.0; the embedded CJK fonts do not get the extra stuff added onto their names, and the text copies just fine.


              If you spend much time down the hall in the InDesign forum, you will see that the "experts" there generally suggest creating PDFs by direct export and advise against using Distiller except in special circumstances.  That advice is especially important for CJK because, as you mention, Distiller creates unique subsets.


              As for visibility of your post, it turns out that the new interface doesn't handle tags well -- just one of many problems discussed over in the General Forum Comments.  If I enlarge my Firefox window so the tags at the top all fit okay in one line then your message pops into view.  (The temporary workaround is to avoid tags.)  Given the ruckus over the previous re-design of the forums one might have thought Abobe would have tested more carefully.



              • 4. Re: Can't copy TTF chinese characters
                Joyce Hong Level 1

                I managed to retrieve the PDF generated from my colleague's PC, and the properties are as follows:

                Application: InDesign CS4 (6.0)

                PDF producer: Acrobat Distiller 9.2.0 (Windows)

                PDF version: 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x)

                Fonts: DF-HeiW5-A (Embedded Subset), TrueType (CID), Encoding Identity-H.


                Compared to the PDF generated from my PC, there are a few differences but I wonder if they are vital:

                Application: InDesign CS4 (6.0)

                PDF producer: Acrobat Distiller 9.0.0 (Windows)

                PDF version: 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)

                Fonts: DF-HeiW5-A-GBK-EUC-H (Embedded Subset), TrueType (CID), Encoding Identity-H.


                So that's why the post visibility was affected. If I knew, I wouldn't have tagged at all. I thought tagging would help with future searches. But I guess in this case, less is more. haha.


                Thanks for your help though. I've decided to play safe and export my Chinese InDesign work for now.