7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2012 10:02 AM by donl517

Creating a new 3D document and security

donl517 Level 1

Since Adobe released the update turning security on by default I cannot create a trusted document on my own computer, I have to trust every single document I create. I tried setting a folder path for trusted documents but it is not working, so I either don't understand what the want or there is a bug. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question in.

• 1. Re: Creating a new 3D document and security
          vamalik Level 2

You can go to Edit->Preferences->Security (Enhanced) and Add File/Folder Path to your trusted location.

I believe this should solve your problem.

• 2. Re: Creating a new 3D document and security
            donl517 Level 1

Why doesn't it recognize sub folders? I have a folder structure "E:\Documents\Business Info\Projects\" I would like to be able to trust files at any level of the "Project" folder. (i.e. ...'\Project\Project A, ...\Project\Project B, etc...) These folders are constantly being created, and archived. I don't want to have to add every folder in the "Project" directory to the trusted folder list.

Thanks,

Don

• 3. Re: Creating a new 3D document and security
              vamalik Level 2

Maybe you can do so via Javascript. I would recommend you to look for such a solution in scripting related forums.

• 4. Re: Creating a new 3D document and security
                EnterpriseHelp Adobe Employee

Hi Don,

You haven't said what product, what version, or what type of security you are talking about.

In any case, late 10.x versions have recursivity for folder trust enabled by default.

Describe your environment and what test case is failing.

thanks,

Ben

• 5. Re: Creating a new 3D document and security
                  donl517 Level 1

I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended Version 9.5.1

When I create a new 3D capture, and then try to activate the view, I get a yellow warning across the top of the screen that "Some features have been disabled to avoid potential security risks. Only enable these features if you trust this document." There are two options: "Trust this document one time only", and "Trust this document always".I don't want to have to do this for every single file I create. I tried turning off enhanced security, and I still get the warning. I can find no way to disable/overide the security settings without doing it on a file by file basis.

As I said in the previous post I have a directory structure that looks like this: "E:\Documents\Business Info\Projects\"

I would really like to be able to just trust the "Projects" folder, and any file within that folders directory structure, no matter what directory level it is in. As I said the folders within the "Projects" directory are constantly changing, I don't want to have to do this for every directory that may ever exist there.

I should also note that this just started happening, so it is apparently a recent update.

Thanks,

Don

• 6. Re: Creating a new 3D document and security
                    EnterpriseHelp Adobe Employee

Hi Don,

I know it's annoying when someone moves your cheese, but in this case a little cheese moving makes your system more secure and protects you. So here's the full rundown:

With 9.5.1 3D is disabled by default. the Release Notes (http://www.adobe.com/go/update_details) describe why and what the settings are mapped to. So while you could reenable 3D in all cases, the more secure option is to turn on folder recursivity (which is on by default with 10.1).

To do so:

1. Open the registry (one way: cmd line type regedit)
                    2. Go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\TrustManager\cTrustedFolders\c3D] (Note that I don't have 9, so change the path. I'm also guessing at the key name, but it should be obvious)
                    3. Find the t(ID) that corresponds to the folder you are trusting. For example, "t7"="C:\\somefolder\\somefolder\\
                    4. Right click on it and choose Rename.
                    5. Add _recursive; e.g. t7_recursive.
                    6. Exit.

Go slow and don't muck with anything else.

hth,

Ben

• 7. Re: Creating a new 3D document and security
                      donl517 Level 1

I think I have this working, I did not make any registry changes. The "Enable 3D content" checkbox, was unchecked. I believe this was the problem/solution.

FYI: There is no reference in the registry to "...cTrustedFolders\c3D", There are several keys there, but none by that name, or that appear to reference 3D in any way.

Thanks for the help,

Don