6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 2:34 PM by RCAInfoSys

Gradient Consistency in Tables

Huyett Graphics

How do you keep a gradient fill in the header row of a table from expanding or contracting when the table adds or deletes new rows?

I have a large catalog with tables on just about every page. Some pages have tables that flow across multiple text boxes as well. The problem I have is that the gradient fill for the header row is not conistent between the tables because they vary in length. The gradient is vertical. The header row is the same height for all of the tabels though.

The only solution I can find is to leave the header row empty and add a gradient filed box behind the table. With over 300 pages of tables though that would take forever. Any ideas? Can this feature be added if it does not currently exist?

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Gradient Consistency in Tables
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I probably don't have any ideas that would be useful, but it would help if you posted a screen shot of before and after so we can see waht youare talking about.

Use the camera icon on the web page to embed them into a post like this:

CameraIcon.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Gradient Consistency in Tables
            Huyett Graphics Level 1

I have attached the image below. These two tables are actually the same table going across two linked text boxes. As you can see the header row on the left table is much lighter than the table on the right. This is proportional to the overall length of the individual table.

For example, if I shrank the text box of the left table to make the two tables identical in the number of rows each had, the gradient in the header row would be exactly the same shade. This would work great if all of the table had the exact same number of rows, but with over 300 tables in the document that just isnt going to happen.

Thanks for the tip Peter.
            Screen Shot 2012-05-09 at 10.58.03 AM.png

• 3. Re: Gradient Consistency in Tables
              Huyett Graphics Level 1

The same table with an equal number of rows between the first and second table. Compared to the first image you can see the gradient in the header row is now equal. All that changed was the number of rows in each table. Weird huh?
              Screen Shot 2012-05-09 at 11.07.05 AM.png

• 4. Re: Gradient Consistency in Tables
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I really hate using tables, so as I said I don't personally have any great insight here, but maybe we'll hear fom soemone who does.

• 5. Re: Gradient Consistency in Tables
                  RCAInfoSys

I'm having the same problem and I'm just hoping that someone knows of a solution.

Here are 2 of my tables. The 1st table is small enough to fit on one page and this is how the gradient should look.

The 2nd table is too long to fit on one page and this is where the gradient color stretches on the header row instead of repeating on the header row.

InDesign table header gradient problem.jpg

• 6. Re: Gradient Consistency in Tables
                    RCAInfoSys Level 1

I found a solution here at this website Real World Adobe InDesign CS4: Tables in chapter 5: Formatting Tables.

Go down the page to the  section titled: Applying Gradients to Table Cells.

Here is what that section says:

You can apply a gradient to the fill and stroke of a cell, but the results might not be what you’d expect (see Figure 6-34).

Figure 6.34

Applying a Gradient to a Cell

1. Select the cells.
                    2. Display the Gradient panel, if it’s not already visible.
                    3. Click in the Gradient Ramp to apply a gradient to the selected cells. Adjust the gradient settings to define the type, color, and angle of the gradient (as discussed in Chapter 5, “Drawing”).

Note that the gradient is based on the width and height of the table, rather than on the selected cell or cells. This may or may not give you the effect you’re looking for.

To gain more control over the start/end points of the gradient, create and fill a rectangle, then paste the rectangle into the cell.

I bolded the part (above) that I did to get the header gradient to work for me (see image below).

InDesign table header gradient problem solution.jpg