12 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 8:28 AM by LizKing

Printing thumbnails and oversized documents

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-7081a

• 1. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents
          LizKing

How can you turn off the crop marks & file info that appear along the edge of the tile?  These are different than the normal ID printer marks...

• 2. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As far as I know, you can't. Keep in mind, though, that these marks are pretty important for assembly of your tiled prints.

• 3. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents
              LizKing Level 1

Well, then this brings out a related issue - I have an 8.5"x11" tile marked in ID & then the file it produces is 8.5"x11" INCLUDING the crop marks - that would make this unusable since this tile had to get scaled down.

The crop marks can be somewhat useful (albeit, not that much in practice really, unless the dimensions are huge - feet, not inches).

But the whole point is I need to get rid of those marks - I need to pull an 8.5" x 11" tile out of a 18"x12" document - it needs to be full page (to the edge) 8.5" x 11" - no marks, no file info

• 4. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents

It's been a while since I needed to print tiles,so I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect that your 8.5 x 11 tile was shifted and cut off, rather than scaled. What happens if you specifiaclly set "centered" as the page position? With a norma print this would put bleeds and marks outside the printable area and they would disappear, and I suspect the same will work with tiles.

I don't know how you assemble the larger print in your shop, but I was taught to use some overlap, trim one sheet to the mark, then align it on the other sheet and glue the overlap (I use a few strategially placed strips of removable table as hinges to make it easy to get the alignment right before applying the glue). I don't think I'd be happy without the marks.

• 5. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents
                  LizKing Level 1

Shifted or scaled - either way, it's incorrect as the output file is 8.5" x 11" with the marks & the file should be producing an image tile that is 8.5" x 11" before marks - the output file should be closer to 9" x 11.5" or something larger than 8.5 x 11, since there's marks & overlap to account for -

As far as installation - right, there's overlap between tiles. My point was that while the marks are a guide when putting back together - the ultimate finishing is done by looking at the print & making sure everything in the image lines up correctly - not just the marks. This becomes super important when applying to compound curves, such as a vehicle fender.

Although I've never seen a document that large (10ft wide or larger) come out of InDesign, but to each there own -

• 6. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents

I just tried a sample here to see what's going on. I see no sign of scaling, but the page position is definitely upper left and the page image includes the marks, so the bottom and right edges are being cut off in the printer. There seems to be no way to adjust the position, so there's really nothing to say. I don't know if you were being literal about the 18 x 12 document dimension, but if you were, that's going to take four tiles no matter how you slice it and there should be plenty of extra space to accomodate the marks.

• 7. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents
                      LizKing Level 1

Well - I'm not concerned with putting it back together. Here's where I'm at: in our process, we have printed books, along with multimedia & ebooks. I've been asked to automate, in InDesign, a process by which we can take the printed cover (18x12 document) & extract just 8.5x11 of the front side of cover.

I haven't been able to figure out how to achieve something suitable yet & so far, except for the marks, tiling gets me the closest.

This is such a piece of cake in PS though.....

• 8. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents

I'd make a new 8.5 x 11 .indd file and place the cover page in that. You can position it any way you like.

• 9. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents
                          LizKing Level 1

Yeah, but it still doesn't automate the process, unless I'm missing something here. It would be similar to doing it in PS. I'd have my original cover, then I'd have to handle a second file to get to the 8.5x11. 

I'm trying to find a way to output a 18x12 along with an 8.5x11 from the same file.

• 10. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents

I don't think that's going to happen. You could pose the question in the Scripting forum (InDesign Scripting) on the chance there is something exposed to scripting that is not available though the UI, but I doubt it.

• 11. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents

It occurs to me that you might want to consider adding the extra page to the existing file -- you can have multiple page sizes in one file now, then you can choose to output all except that page, or that page only.

• 12. Re:  Printing thumbnails and oversized documents
                                LizKing Level 1

Hmmm...the extra page might just do the trick. I'll also check in scripting - thanks!