24 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 12:46 PM by Fuzzy Barsik

Send to Audition - No Video Effects?

ExactImage Level 3

I was hoping this would be addressed - but maybe it's already here and I haven't seen it.....

When sending sequuence audio to Audition with the video for a reference it's taking a long time (sometimes hours) to render a preview video for Audition, partly because of the effects etc on the clips.    Is there any way to speed this process, maybe by not including the effects on the video preview? 

Maybe there is a quicker way of doing this I'm not seeing.  Sight now it's going to take something like 5 hours to render this video and I'm wasting half a day looking at the render bar. 

• 1. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
          Butch2oc Level 1

maybe render out a file from prem low res etc then put on top of your sequence then bring that into audition, then delete it from sequence or put to bottom after your done

• 2. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
            ExactImage Level 3

Do you have any suggestions as to how low resolution (which itself involves not just rendering but also resizing) would make the export quicker?  You still need to render the effects to be able to export in low res.

If I'm given a file that has (say) 200-300 clips, all of which have some effects applied (including maybe noise reduction) this can take 5-6 hours to render regardless of what export resolution or codec you choose.

Being able to globally disable these kind of effects would speed things up dramatically. The same sequence exports in < 30 mins with no efftects applied, but it takes a long time to go in to each and every clip to disable them individually....

• 3. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Select all the clips, right-click, choose 'Remove Effects...', tick just 'Video Effects', render out...

No?

• 4. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Instead if applying effects to the clips themselves, always use an adjustment layer for this.  Then you can always turn that layer off when you need a fast export.

• 5. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                  ExactImage Level 3

@ fuzzy

This does indeed remove them for regular clips but doesn't seem to drill down to embedded sequences, so you have to figure out what is a clip and what is a sequence on a clip by clip basis and then drill down to other sequences (e.g. multicam) and go in to there and repeat.  So you still end up looking at pretty much every clip!

So, while it's a great thought - it's not quite there....

• 6. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                    ExactImage Level 3

@ Jim

No, I don't think this can be done with the effects layers either.   If you have a couple of hundred clips it's unlikely that they will all have the same effects, so you'd end up with lots of layers (which granted you could disable the tracks).

On multicam shots you can't then colour correct each camera differently with one adjustment layer, and you can't use multiple layers (unless you know differently) because every layer would effect every track.

So, again, I thought of this but it doesn't get me there....

• 7. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

you'd end up with lots of layers

For starters, few productions will have a different effect on every clip (keeping in mind that SpeedGrade is now the goto app for color correction and grading), but even if you need many layers, you can still put them on the same track if they don't need to overlap.  You only need additional tracks when there is an overlap.

For multicam, you put an adjustment layer in between each clip, like a sandwich, so that each layer affects only the clip underneath it.

• 8. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                        ExactImage Level 3

So why would the top effects layer not have an effect on *all* the layers below that?   Is there some way to haveit effects only the one track below (as you can do in photoshop) ?   I looked for that option but didn't see it.

If Speedgrade have proper round tripping (which it doesn't apear to) with the abiliity to make edit changes in Premiere (after grading) and have it update then maybe that would be an option.  Right now we're using Colorista II beause it keeps everything within the project.

• 9. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                          I looked for that option but didn't see it

Probably that option called 'nesting'...

• 10. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                            ExactImage Level 3

"Probably that option called 'nesting'..."

Except that just made it worse, now we have to go in to even more nested sequences to disable effects......

A single global check box to say disable video effects during render for audition would make life a LOT easier, wouldn't it?

• 11. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

So why would the top effects layer not have an effect on *all* the layers below that?

Because in a multicam sequence, the clips below aren't seen.  The clip above is not transparent in any way.  So the layer only affects that clip it's directly above.

• 12. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                Except that just made it worse

Honestly, that's not a big deal, but rather depends on how you organise your project.

As for me, it is not forbidden to create as many subfolders named accordingly within e.g. 'Sequences' folder in Project panel as I need so as to know which nested sequence belongs to which master one...

Not sure Jim is correct regard to adjustment layer.

Since I have not played with CS6 yet, I can't check it for now.

However, if adjustment layer in PrPro CS6 behaves in AE-like way, it does affect all the layers beneath, irrespective of their transparency...

• 13. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

if adjustment layer in PrPro CS6 behaves in AE-like way, it does affect all the layers beneath, irrespective of their transparency...

How would you know?  If the top layer completely fills the screen, and is completely opaque, there is no way to see the layers underneath.  So..how would you have any idea of what they look like?  (And along those same lines, how would an adjustment layer affect them, if no portion of those underneath layers can be seen?)

• 14. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

As I said earlier, I can't check adjustment layer behaviour for now. Hence I can't argue for sure whether effects on adjustment layer for 'upper' camera angle will be calculated when you switch to a 'lower' camera angle layer in multicam or not.

• 15. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I can't check adjustment layer behaviour for now.

I meant in After Effects.  If you can't see a layer underneath, how do you know what it looks like?

• 16. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                        ExactImage Level 3

Fuzzy_Barsik wrote:

As I said earlier, I can't check adjustment layer behaviour for now. Hence I can't argue for sure whether effects on adjustment layer for 'upper' camera angle will be calculated when you switch to a 'lower' camera angle layer in multicam or not.

As soon as this render is done I'll try it

• 17. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Jim, if you can't see a layer underneath ever, you hardly need it at all.

The nature of adjustment layer is to affect all other layer underneath. Try e.g. playing with two 'invisible' adjustment layers laying one on another, and you get 'instant sex' effect.

• 18. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Jim, if you can't see a layer underneath ever, you hardly need it at all.

Except in multicam mode for PP.

(See where I'm going with this?)

• 19. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

The nature of adjustment layer is to affect all other layer underneath.

Yes, assuming you can 'see' them.  But in the multicam scenario, the AL won't be 'seeing' anything but the clip it's directly on top of.

• 20. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Jim, I have to repeat third time: I can't check for now whether effects applyed onto adjustment layer for 'upper' camera angle will be calculated or not when you switch to a 'lower' camera angle in multicam.

If you checked that and it works in that way - great!

• 21. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

My point was that you can't check in any program, because there's no way for you to see any layer that's fully covered.  So how would you know that adjustment layers work the way you claim in AE if you can't see that layer?

• 22. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Jim, can you see 'invisible' adjustment layer per se? Have you ever played with two adjustment layers laying one on another so as to get e.g. 'instant sex' effect? Was the lower adjustment layer affected by upper one?

In PrPro CS6 scenario why adjustment layer for lower camera angle should be taken into account at all since it is covered by completely opaque upper camera angle layer as well?

• 23. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                                      ExactImage Level 3

We..... I can tell you they don't do what you think they do.

As I expected, each adjustment layer occupies a video track in a multicam sequence.  So, if you had 3 tracks and added an adjustment layer sandwich you now have 6 tracks in the multicam monitor.  Adding a three way colour corrector to each of the adjustment layers does absolutly NOTHING to the video because it's not selected as part of the multicam and it therefore is itself 'invisible'.

You can of source select the adjustment layer AS video and end up with some nicely tinted black frames

You have to add the adjustment layer to the final multicam sequence, which of course means slicing it along with each angle.

• 24. Re: Send to Audition - No Video Effects?
                                                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Well, that means that adjustment layers in PrPro behave in exactly the same way as they do in AE, and you need to nest a camera angle along with its own adjustment layer so as to bring it into multicam scenario directly - easier than add tons of ones into resulting multicam sequence.