7 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2012 3:18 AM by Pstephens2 RSS

Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer

Pstephens2

Am getting error Message "out of paper" instead of dialog window that should ask for file name.

• 1. Re: Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer
          Bill@VT MVP

I assume you have to Adobe PDF printer selected. Try printing to file and then open the file in Distiller to see if the basic print function works. Some time needs to be taken to track down the problems.

• 2. Re: Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer
            Pstephens2 Community Member

Bill,

First, let me thank you for sending this email!

I tried “printing to file” from the Adobe PDF printer using AutoCAD (where I was first having the problem), and it did not store a file in any location on the laptop.  The popup window did pop up and ask where I wanted to store the file, but after typing in a name and hitting the button, it just went away.  This was the second test, the first test locked up the program as I discovered that the Adobe PDF printer was set to spool, then print, and it would never stop spooling, 10 minutes of waiting had me cancel out on the printing.  I then selected ‘print directly to printer’. With this change, after the fill in the name of the file window, it just went poof.  No file saved.

I am running Win 7 pro with trend micro security (came on the laptop).  In addition, I cannot use the Adobe PDF printer with any other software either.  However, if I open Adobe directly, then go to the command ‘create pdf from file’, select the file (even if it is autoCAD) it will “make” the pdf document.  So there is a work around. 

One additional thing I can say is that, with this laptop, in the past, I was able to use the Adobe pdf printer as intended and it worked well. 

I believe that my issues started when I clicked on the ‘pdf-Xchange’ (tracker software) printer by accident one day when I meant to select the Adobe PDF printer, I had installed this software a long time ago on another Laptop and  even through I never “installed” it on this laptop, it came over with copying the files from the old laptop to the new one, somehow, I do not know how, it got set up as a printer on this new machine!!! 

I have sense uninstalled it, and removed all it’s folders and files and run CCcleaner to get any leftover .dlls that it might have left.  Since then I have done the uninstall on Adobe and reinstall and also deleted the Adobe PDF printer and then run the ‘repair’ function from Adobe 8.0 to reinstall the printer.  Still does the same thing.  The original error message from the printer info window was that the Adobe PDF printer was “out of paper”, how can a virtual printer ever run out of paper?

Perry

• 3. Re: Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer
              MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs

Acrobat 8 is not Windows 7 compatible. Some people have more success with 32-bit Windows 7. Try choosing a generic postscript printer, then try printing to file. See if you can manually open that postscript file in Distiller.

• 4. Re: Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer

Michael,

Is Adobe 9.0 Pro compatible with Win 7 Pro, or do I need to step up to Adobe X Pro?

• 5. Re: Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer
                  CtDave Community Member

The update to 9.2 for Acrobat 9 provide Acrobat 9 with Windows 7 compatibility.

However, only Acrobat X PDFMaker supports Office 2010.

With Acrobat 9 in Win 7 you should be able to print to the Acrobat virtural Printer to obtain PDF but this precludes having an output PDF with Bookmarks, links, etc.

Be well...

• 6. Re: Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer
                    Bill@VT MVP

It also depends as suggested on the 32-bit or 64-bit system that you did not indicate. Several folks have been successful with AA8 and 32-bit systems of Win7. A few have reported success with 64-bit systems, but not many. You also indicate AA8.0. As a result, I would suggest you first do a repair (can do from the Acrobat help menu or the programs list in the control panel). The go to the help menu and do the updates. You will likely have to do several. When you are done, then you will probably need to reboot (not necessary until you finish the updates typically). The combination of the repair and the updates may resolve your problems. There will probably still be programs that will not work with PDF Maker, but that is a different issue.

• 7. Re: Have Adobe Pro 8.0 Can't Print to PDF Printer

Thank you to all that have responded, this has helped tremendously, the important item I get from this is that the problems are not with my machine or set up, just out of date software.

Perry