• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated layout problems for a large project

New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The generated layout for my large (1200 page) user manual RoboHelp 9 project shows all graphics with blank boxes with red X's in them, and the styles formats are all wrong. For my smaller test projects using the same styles, the output looks perfect. Am I having a system resource problem? If so, are there any ways I can troubleshoot it?

George Tipton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What layout? Printed Documentation? 1200 pages suggests that but it could be you mean 1200 topics in some other layout.

Do the images appear in other layouts?

You could check whether it is a resource issue by using build tags to create a smaller output.

Are you using RoboHelp HTML or RoboHelp for Word?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHTML and the generated layout is WebHelp. I have about 800 topics, and none of the graphics are appearing. Most of the style formats appear incorrect. The WebHelp output for my test projects of 20 topics look fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you generating to your local drive? (Required)

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am generating locally to My RoboHelp Projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm!

Try generating to C:\Test to shorten the path.

If that fails post back and we'll have to think some more. Add some details about your PC. Is it really all images or just a large number?

Back with you tomorrow. Maybe someone else can help meantime.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems very unlikely to me that such a path change would have any effect, but I'm willing to try it. My problem is that while I know how to specify the output path when creating a new project, I don't know how to change the path for a project I've already created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I figured out how to change the output path. Unfortunately, generating the output to C:\Test had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I hope Peter won’t mind me budging in for some questions before I too sign off.

- On which browsers did you test the output? Is the problem contained to a single browser only or does the problem occur with other browsers as well?

- Do you use spaces or special characters in your path names, image names or style sheet names?

- Are the style sheet and images actually copied into your output?

Greet and goodnight,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Willam. I've only used IE 7. I think you might be onto something with the special characters. I used parentheses in both the path where the project resides and in the title of the project. I deleted the parentheses from both the path and the title, but it appears that the TOC name still contains them, and I don't know how to edit that. They may be lurking in other places also. Is there a way to edit the whole project to delete all occurrences of the parentheses? This is the first time I've ever used parens in a title and the first time I've ever seen such poor project output, so I'm guessing there might be a connection there. Maybe I'll just start over from scratch with a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the benefit of anyone reading this thread later, the reason for suggesting C:\Test is because we have seen instances of problems with projects save in My RoboHelp Projects. That is part of the user profile and can lead to excessively long path names with attendant problems.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I have given up on the project that had the special characters in the project name. There didn't seem to be any way to completely remove all occurrences of the characters throughout the project, so I started a new project. In the new project, all of the topics have been re-created, and the generated WebHelp has no problems! Evidently, the special characters were the cause of the style and figure problems in the earlier WebHelp. Instead of giving a mild warning, I wish RoboHelp would simply disallow the use of special characters. It would have made my life a lot easier. Thanks to Peter and Willam for all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So submit a feature request.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp