15 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 8:58 AM by Jim_Simon

No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows

ExactImage Level 3

I have a problem that I can't seem to solve - CS6 Windows 7.

I have a multicam sequence that I brought over from CS5.5.  The project window says all media is online.  Nothing more is loading.  All conforming is completed etc etc.

However, when I go to the multicam sequence and try to play, I get audio but no video playback.  Only the first 10 or so clips have thumbnails and the rest are blank.

When I go to the source sequence the media shows as pending - yet in the proejct window it shows online.

I can save the project, reboot the computer and it's the same.

I've cleaned the media cache, deleted all render files and nothing seems to fix it.

Any ideas ????

• 1. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
          Jim_Simon Level 8

What are the specs for the media?

• 2. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
            ExactImage Level 3

I've narrowed this down to spanned media, including AVCHD (from a Canon G10) and MXF from Canon XF100.

If I transcode these to almost anything that is not spanned (e.g. a single H264 file, DNxHD, XDCAMHD etc) then it all seems to work fine.

The problem appears to be how CS6 is parsing the spanned elements, because it certainly does this different to CS5.5 (as can be seen in the Resource Monitor which shows which files are open and what is being read / written). 

I have sent Adobe a bug report and a link to where they can download a sample project (CS5.5 and CS6 to compare) and sample media that demonstrates the problem.

We'll see if they download it

• 3. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you importing the media with the Media Browser?

• 4. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                ExactImage Level 3

Absolutely yes!

Though since the problem appeared I've tried both ways and see no difference!

• 5. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                  RampantSlime Level 1

I had a similar problem in the past. My quick fix was:

-right click all the files in project panel that said "media pending" in the source sequence that was placed into the multicam sequence.
                  -select replace footage
                  -put the same file there again "ie file is called apple.mkv, replace with apple.mkv"

for some reason it re-renders and works. Hope that works for you

• 6. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                    Mitch W Adobe Employee

My response was going to be something similar to that of RampantSlime. However, I was going to suggest that you make the clips offline and then relink to them. I had a similar problem yesterday and that trick worked like a champ.

• 7. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                      ExactImage Level 3

Thanks for the response guys.   Unfortunately all the usual tricks (which I already tried) don't work.  This really does appear to be a real problem and happens on every computers we've tried (4).

Adobe downloaded the project and sample files last night so hopefully they'll be able to see the problem for themselves....

• 8. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                        Bartpsbel

Got the same here with multicam.

Already tried to clean the cache and to remove the cfa and pek files.

Eventually I got it to work, untill I wanted to retake a scene from a minute earlier and the screens went to black. Not getting it fixed since then.

Video files were imported with the media browser. Video files are from Canon XA10, M46, 7D and 600D.

I now started in a new project, will try to relink after conforming is done.

EDIT:

I now redid the entire thing. Turning the files offline and putting them back on doesn't do the trick. The program is also going very slow, it keeps using ram until its 95% and then drops to 20% and the software is stable again.

I also tried using multiple drives to spread the multicam files so the problem can't be located in that area.

I guess I'm going back to 5.5 for now.

• 9. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                          trajoj

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm frozen and need to get a project out the door TONIGHT!!!

• 10. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

If you're using spanned clips, the only solution will be to use an earlier version of PP.  CS6 still has a bug.

• 11. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                              trajoj Level 1

What's a "Spanned Clip"?

Why was it working perfectly fine and then a moment later (I think after I restarted my computer) isn't it working?

• 12. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

A spanned clip is what happens because Mac's can't natively read and write to the superior NTFS file format, so in order to accommodate Mac users, camera makers use the inferior FAT32 file format, which has a 4GB file size limit.  So any clip that runs longer than about 20 minutes will actually take up 2 or more files on the card.  That's called spanning.

It also happens on some cameras that have two card slots.  When the first card is full, the recording switches over to the second.

If it was working before, this probably isn't your problem.

• 13. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                                  Bartpsbel Level 1

I used 5.5 to finish my project.

CS6 clearly still has some bugs.

• 14. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                                    ExactImage Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

A spanned clip is what happens because Mac's can't natively read and write to the superior NTFS file format, so in order to accommodate Mac users, camera makers use the inferior FAT32 file format, which has a 4GB file size limit.  So any clip that runs longer than about 20 minutes will actually take up 2 or more files on the card.  That's called spanning.

It also happens on some cameras that have two card slots.  When the first card is full, the recording switches over to the second.

If it was working before, this probably isn't your problem.

Here we go again    Microsoft did not make NTFS suitable for embedded devices, which is why cameras etc don't support it. It was intended for the server market and high end desktop computers.  It really has nothing to do with Mac (or even Linux, both of which can read/write larger file systems than even NTFS can).

It would be better if cameras supported ExFat, which does support larger file sizes, is more suitable to embedded devices (with lower memory and storage requirements) and can be read/written by all of the Windows / Mac / Linux OS types. 

Please don't keep blaming Apple for Microsoft's bloated file system not being suitable for small embedded devices with limited storage space and computing power.  Miscorsoft never intended it for that market.  They should be using ExFat instead.

For reference, there are software plugins for both Mac and Windows that can provide cross platform support.   However, I just format external HDDs to ExFat and happily take data between Mac and Windows all day long without the need to resort to such plugins or get tribal about NTFS or HFS

• 15. Re: No Video Playback - Multicam - CS6 Windows
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Microsoft did not make NTFS suitable for embedded devices, which is why cameras etc don't support it.

But the media itself can be so formatted when connected to a Windows machine, and given the superiority of NTFS over FAT32, it makes no sense not to use NTFS, except to keep broad and native compatibility with Macs, which have an inordinate penetration in this industry.

However, I agree that using exFAT is an excellent solution for cameras moving forward (and with a firmware update, even older solid state cameras.)