15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 7:07 PM by breich_sunati

iPad 3 audio sync issue when video imported into CS5.5

Gordon Cameralabs

Hi everyone, long time lurker here, love the support you guys are giving!

I'm hoping you'll be able to help with an audio sync problem I'm experiencing with videos recorded with the latest iPad 3 (well, that's what I'm calling it anyway).

I believe the iPad 3 recording format is 1080/30p with 44.1Khz / 16 bit audio, but when I match those settings on a Premiere Pro CS5.5 project (or try 48KHz audio as a test), the audio gradually goes out of sync. If the video is several minutes long, it becomes quite obvious, and by 10 minutes, it's terrible!

I should add the file plays back fine on the iPad itself and was imported to a Mac via iTunes. It also plays fine on the Mac itself in Quicktime.

Does anyone have any suggestions on project settings that'd work?

On a related note, I additionally captured the audio using a Zoom H2n which i intended to replace in Premiere, but foolishly I captured it at 48KHz, rather than the 44.1KHz of the iPad video file. Should I resample it?

I actually managed to line-up the 48 and 44.1KHz waveforms from the iPad and Zoom in Premiere quite accurately, but again both gradually go out of sync with the video...

I'm running Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on Mac OSX 10.7.3.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Gordon Laing