4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 1:36 PM by Todd_Kopriva

PPro CS6: Effects used on Adjustment Layer not the same as direct on clip

pvpcom20 Level 1

Hi,

I'm using the PPro CS6 Demo on a Core i7 with 12GB Ram, GTX 580 1,5GB on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Today i applied the gaussian blur filter to some clips to remove the moiré pattern in the downscaled videoclips - as I do it quite often with PPro CS5. It removed the pattern as it's always doing - fine.

Then I remembered the new Adjustment Layer function within CS6 and tried this in the same sequence, with the same clips and the same configured gaussian blur filter. The moiré pattern slightly improved, but the effect wasn't the same as before. It seems that applying this filter on a clip or on an Adjustment Layer isn't the same?

I didn't tested this with other filters, so I can't say if the gaussian blur is the only filter affected.

Anyone has a similiar experience or can explain this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: PPro CS6: Effects used on Adjustment Layer not the same as direct on clip
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

(In response to: pvpcom20)

Very interesting.

If you (and can you) send the clip and adjustment layer to After Effects

via Dynamic link, do you see the same difference in the effect compared

to applying it directly to the layer?

I am still running 5.0.3. so I don't know if Pr adjustment layers are

translated to Ae adjustment layers when using Dynamic Link.

• 2. Re: PPro CS6: Effects used on Adjustment Layer not the same as direct on clip
            SiliconPixel Level 1

Mmmm,

I just tried this on a few sample clips - one of general outside footage and one of a computer screen close-up that had some moire. I split the clip and placed a fast blur directly on one half of the clip and an adjustment layer over the second half of the clip with the same fast blur effect on that adjustment layer. I also tried the same with the gaussian blur instead of the fast blur.

I couldn't see any difference at all in the two methods.

Maybe there's something specific to your setup (graphics card/drivers) or footage format etc?

I'm on a GTX570 Win7 Pro, i7 x980 (6 core with hyperthreading). 24GB

Paul.

• 3. Re: PPro CS6: Effects used on Adjustment Layer not the same as direct on clip
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Tested myself.  Couldn't see any difference between application methods.

• 4. Re: PPro CS6: Effects used on Adjustment Layer not the same as direct on clip
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There is a very common misstatement and misunderstanding of how adjustment layers work, which I'll repeat here: "Applying an effect to an adjustment layer applies the effect to all layers under the adjustment layer."

That's wrong in a subtle but important way.

What actually happens is that applying an effect to an adjustment layer applies the effect to the composited result from all of the layers under the adjustment layer.

This is an important distinction, because it puts the adjustment at a different place in the order of operations in the rendering pipeline.

Anyway, that's a long and perhaps overly theoretical way of saying that, yes, you may see some difference between applying an effect directly to a bunch of clips compared with applying the effect to an adjustment layer over that same bunch of clips.

1 person found this helpful