17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 6:14 PM by Steven L. Gotz

What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?

Baliavatar

How do I download a help pdf for Premiere? When I open the help topics page, there is message bottom right which says that this info can be downloaded. But how?*

• 1. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4385509#4385509

Answer appears to be: full pdf document will be available in June.

• 2. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

It's a totally new help system. We will have more functionality as time goes forward. Thanks for your patience.

• 3. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
              TikaLance Level 1

I want the OLD pdf access.... the new system in all honesty really really sucks. It's fine if you know EXACTLY what you're looking for, but the pdf guide is great for when you don't know exactly what you're looking for and can type in the feature or function and find several help topics on it.

I need help NOW and can't wait until "June" for you guys to figure out how to improve it. Why not continue with the original help until it's all figured out!

I'm completely disappointed and to be honest, even more disgruntled about this!

• 4. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                Bruce Bullis Adobe Employee

I prefer static PDF documents as well.

While we wait for those docs...perhaps we can help with the specific issue(s) you're encountering?

• 5. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                  TikaLance Level 1

Thanks and sorry it took so long to reply.. I don't get notified of your reply. It's not really about the pdf version to be honest....

and I would do that...  except that 1. I shouldn't have to do that to get answers or when I use it as a reference. and 2. the help (more often than not) isn't for myself. I help other people with Photoshop and I used to be able to direct them right to the page at adobe.com for help. For that the old help system was PERFECT!  I use it more as a reference for msyelf, so the downloaded pdf is fine for that. But when I need to help others it's EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. I was literally almost in tears earlier today (hence me revisiting today.... to complain some more).

I honestly and truly, hate with all my heart and soul, hitting F1 and getting that new help system page. Not only the new help system but a help system for a version I don't even have! I'm pressing "F1" within CS5 and someone thought it was going to be a good idea to send it's user to the lamest help system ever, for a program we may not even own! I can hardly find answers to just about ANY problem/question as the search results are a joke. They RARELY are even close to what I typed in!

It's taking sooooooo much time for me to find answers now. I'm forced to use google and yahoo search to find things on Adobe's site becasue I can't find it using Adobe's search! How absurd is that!? I curse Adobe EVERY TIME I have to hit F1/Help. EVERY time!

• 6. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?

Tygrtat wrote:

Thanks and sorry it took so long to reply.. I don't get notified of your reply. It's not really about the pdf version to be honest....

and I would do that...  except that 1. I shouldn't have to do that to get answers or when I use it as a reference. and 2. the help (more often than not) isn't for myself. I help other people with Photoshop and I used to be able to direct them right to the page at adobe.com for help. For that the old help system was PERFECT!  I use it more as a reference for msyelf, so the downloaded pdf is fine for that. But when I need to help others it's EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. I was literally almost in tears earlier today (hence me revisiting today.... to complain some more).

Sorry for your frustration. The new Help system takes some getting used to, as there are no page numbers or indices, only search and a Help and Tutorials page. I would suggest using the html version of the Help when dealing with others, as you can refer your clients to specific URLs.

Tygrtat wrote:

I honestly and truly, hate with all my heart and soul, hitting F1 and getting that new help system page. Not only the new help system but a help system for a version I don't even have! I'm pressing "F1" within CS5 and someone thought it was going to be a good idea to send it's user to the lamest help system ever, for a program we may not even own! I can hardly find answers to just about ANY problem/question as the search results are a joke. They RARELY are even close to what I typed in!

Sorry you don't like the new Help system. Maybe I can help? Help for Premiere Pro is now "versionless" and is for CS5, CS5.5, and CS6. Every page is marked with the proper version. We still have the previous Help system in PDF format. Perhaps that would work for you? If so, go here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/archive.html

If you are having trouble searching for articles, I agree it isn't exactly intuitive. We're working on it. In the mean time, I wrote this blog post which should help you with better search results: Better Searches for Community Help.

Tygrtat wrote:

I curse Adobe EVERY TIME I have to hit F1/Help. EVERY time!

I hope this post is helpful to you. If you have further comments, a better forum to leave them would be here: Adobe Community Help forum.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Help for Premiere Pro is now "versionless" and is for CS5, CS5.5, and CS6.

That's just a bad idea.  There are sooooo many new changes to CS6 that it really needs not only it's own forum, but it's own exclusive, local PDF help file (with page numbers).

• 8. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                        TikaLance Level 1

While I truly do appreciate all your time to make that post, in all honesty (and nothing against you), but I absolutely HATE the new help system. I'm SURE I'm not the only one either.

Sincerest thanks for trying to get me even slightly on board though. It's just not going to happen with this new help system... sorry.

Arlene

• 9. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, you are not the only one. It might not be so bad if the search worked better, but there are way too many instances where you cannot find what you want in the help file.

And frankly the posts in the help forum link that Kevin provided don't offer much hope. There must be a higher level commitment to the helpx concept. If a help search cannot do as good a job as a search of a pdf, it falls short of what real world users need.

• 10. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I would be happy if I could press F1 and the help file was only for Premiere Pro CS6!

Just one example: enter "H.264" as a search

The first few are for Premiere Pro but then it starts in with Premiere Elements and not even the most current version. So I think to myself, "why not limit it to Adobe content?" The stupid Elements 9 response shows up FIRST!!!

I am not saying I can't use it, I am just saying that the concept is a failure and when I ask for help with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, that is what I should get.

• 11. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... odd... when I go to http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecustomersuccess/2011/05/14/help-support-pages-for-creative-sui te-applications/ and click the link for the PDF file for PPro CS6, I do get a PDF of 471 pages

Is that not what everyone wants?

• 12. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                                LancFM104 Level 1

This is an old CS5 & CS5.5 manual with CS6 additions.   Come on Adobe, I know the era of printed manuals is long dead, but at least give us a current on-line manual.

• 13. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes we know. Several of us have complained. Its terrible to work with.

• 14. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

I would be happy if I could press F1 and the help file was only for Premiere Pro CS6!

Just one example: enter "H.264" as a search

The first few are for Premiere Pro but then it starts in with Premiere Elements and not even the most current version. So I think to myself, "why not limit it to Adobe content?" The stupid Elements 9 response shows up FIRST!!!

In the blog post I wrote, I showed how to easily filter for Premiere Pro only. Click 2 buttons and you've got your proper search: Better searches for Community Help. If you don't like that community results are the default search, leave a post on this forum: Adobe Community Help Forum.

• 15. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Kevin,

I didn't say that I could not find what I was looking for.  Eventually.

The problem is thatonce upon a time, Windows users knew that pressing F1 brought up context sensitive help. Even Microsoft has fouled this up. I just checked Word and it doesn't work right anymore. If I select text and press F1 I should get help with fonts as the first choice. I don't. Not anymore. I distinctly remember that I used to.

You were not around back when I was as much a fixture on these forums as anyone. I have been as supportive as possible of the Premiere Pro features and as gentle as possible trying to get problems fixed. The fact is, this Help system is a mistake. It isn't too late to admit that, or to fix it. Context sensitive help was a great idea. I have no idea when we lost it, but it seems to be gone.

If I am trying to export a timeline, I press Ctrl-M and up comes the window. So far so good. I have a question and press F1. I should get topics relating to exporting. Instead, F1 is not even available. No help at all. If I click on the audio tab, I should be able to press F1 and read about the audio options. What's wrong with that?

Personally, I can usually find what I need, either on the Adobe site or on the forums. But not everyone has the time or the inclination to read through many different posts just to find what should have been a simple answer except that they didn't have the right words to search for it.

• 16. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

The fact is, this Help system is a mistake. It isn't too late to admit that, or to fix it. Context sensitive help was a great idea. I have no idea when we lost it, but it seems to be gone.

This is the third version without contextual navigation on every page, if that's what you mean. We haven't had it since CS4.

• 17. Re: What's happened to downloadable help pdf for Premiere?
                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Well that explains it. I sort of dropped off of the face of the map just before CS4 was released. I didn't make it back until after CS6 had been out a while.

I miss it. I miss it in Adobe products and in Microsoft products. I haven't really tried to use it in other software I guess.

It is entirely up to the software companies if they want to mess up a good thing, and we will still buy the software. We just won't be happy about the loss of something that worked.