14 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 2:56 AM by Michael Gianino

Changing font, retaining italics, bolds

tobias707

I've content in ID with italics and bolds I wish to retain while switching fonts. I'm aware it involves styles, which I have just a rough understanding of....something of a mental block has grown around using this essential feature. An attempt to direct for this specific scenario, would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Create Character styles that do nothing but apply bold, italic, or bold italic and apply the appropriate style to selected text.

• 2. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
            wjnp2000 Level 2

Hi Tobias707,

The only way that I use with 100% certain to retain them its created Character styles and apply it before switching fonts.

For a while create a style and Find/change, after try create script to do it automactily. In the styles just change the "Font style" (italic, bold, bold italic and others).

This will facilitate till change the paragraph styles without lost font styles.

I hope help you.

Wagner

• 3. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
              tobias707 Level 1

Peter, I realize this can't be what's been suggested, but it sounds as though I'm to apply italic or bold styles to the whole of the text. Can you please elaborate a bit further on the steps? I'm only changing fonts and wish to keep all the other character attributes present. Thank you.

• 4. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                samallen3

Use the find/change feature.  It works wonders!  All you have to do is, like Peter suggested create a character style to apply the bolding, etc.  Then "find" your character style with the find box and in the change box specify another character style for your new bolded font.  For example:

Screen shot 2012-05-10 at 12.59.14 PM.jpg

Indesign will find all instances where you applied one character style, and replace it with the other.  Just make sure your styles for the two fonts match up.

• 5. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You might be looking at Paragraph styles. Yes, these are intended to put an entire paragraph in bold and/or italics, so only do that if that's what you want. For a word here or there, use *Character Styles*.

• 6. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds

tobias707 wrote:

Peter, I realize this can't be what's been suggested, but it sounds as though I'm to apply italic or bold styles to the whole of the text.

No, you apply the character style to text that requires that particular attribute.

You can certainly do that using find change, but not quite as samallen3 suggests. You don't want to change from one assigned style to another in this case, but identify text to which no style is applied, but that has the particular attribute you are looking for, then assign your style to that. Jongware has an excellent "preptext" script that will help automate this, and I'm a little surprised he didn't mention it.

http://indesignsecrets.com/free-scripts-help-fix-word-formatting.php

• 7. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Um, I see scripts as something to help you do the work, *not* as something to help you understand what char and para styles ought to do.

In fact, it might lead to mis-understanding of fairly important key portions of InDesign, and of what that script CAN do and what it CANNOT. It's by far not a fix-all-and-always solution.

• 8. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds

Valid points, for sure.

• 9. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                          Michael Gianino Level 4

1.png

As you can see in this screenshot, I have applied bold to the word "two," italic to the word "four" and bold+italic to "six." The name of the paragraph style (Basic Paragraph, in this case) has a + beside it, indicating these are local overrides (not part of the paragraph style).

2.png

Here, I have made a character style, whose only attribute is to change the font style to bold. It won't change the font, so any font you apply that has a bold and this character style will remain bold.

3.png

Here, I have opened the Find/Change window, clicked the magnifying glass icon beside the Find Format field and selected Bold as the only attribute to look for.

4.png

Here, I have selected the  icon beside the Change field, and selected the Bold character style.

5.png

When I hit the Find button, it locates the first instance of text where bold has been applied as the font style. Notice that it has found the text with the local override and no character style applied.

6.png

Upon hitting the Change button, the type is changed from locally-overridden text to a pure paragraph style (no + beside the name), with the addition of the character style being applied to only the selected text. If you do this, and find/change each instance of bold, italic and bold/italic, you can apply the paragraph style of your choice, and these character styles will remain applied.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                            tobias707 Level 1

Here are the issues I'm having:

1. The italic font in the original is Janson Pro LT 56 Italic. It seems that adding '"italic" to the Find feature misses it unless it's set for "56 Italic"..

2. After applying the character style to fonts with the italic/bold attributes via the Find feature, they lose the italic appearance and become highlighted in pink.

3. When I then switch fonts from Janson to Dante, the italics (re)appear.

4. If, however, I apply character styles to do that (with Dante and the leading set) the italics do not show up.

This would seem so simple.

• 11. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                              Michael Gianino Level 4

tobias707 wrote:

1. The italic font in the original is a Janson Pro LT 56 Italic. So merely adding '"italic" to the Find feature misses it, unless it's set for "56 Italic" it seems

It will only look for what you tell it to look for, so if you have 56 Italic, it shouldn't find Italic, becuse they are different. You seem to know what you need to do.

tobias707 wrote:

2. After applying the character style to fonts with the italic/bold attributes, they lose their italic appearance, though are now read by ID as italic bold styles.

I don't know what to tell you about that. If you can make a new bit of type off on the pasteboard and apply the font to it, you will see if it looks as it should or not. If you apply character styles that use character attributes that are not present in a font (such as a font that only contains a Roman face, with no italic), your use of an italic character style will not work. You also need to check that there are no local overrides in play.

tobias707 wrote:

3. When I switch fonts (from Janson to Dante) the italics then appear. If I apply a character styles to do that (with Dante and the leading set) the italics do not show up.

As you have seen in the Janson font, sometimes the font styles available in a particular font family don't match up exactly. You might have italic in one, but 55 oblique in another.

• 12. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                                tobias707 Level 1

I see that exact versions (56 Italic) from font families must match to be read by the find/change feautre properly when changing fonts, but help me a bit further please....

Backing up for a moment:

1. Use Find/Change, setting the "Find Format" to "+ 56 Italic". That's seems clear.

2. "Change Format" is set for "+ Italic". When using it, the Janson 56 italic received a pink highlight. losing italics.

3. I manually change fonts to Dante MT, the italics reappear (confirming Find/Change was done correctly)

But here, I think, is the problem:

4. When applying Dante MT via character styles, the italics are lost—even though the Dante on my system clearly has italics. Why, I do not understand. That seems to be the remaining issue.

What is going wrong in applying the character style that causes the italics to be lost; how to correct this? Thank you.

• 13. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds

This is the one drawback, or rather limitation, to using the style in this way. If you change the typeface to a family that uses a different naming system, ID will attempt, and fail, to use italic instead of 56 italic or oblique, if that happens to be how a particular font is named.

However, it's probably better to let that happen, and wind up with a missing font highlight, than to have to go throughthe whole document manually. You can use Find Font to find the missing font style and replace with the correct name, and even redefine the style at the same time (but only redefine the style if ALL of the fonts to which it is applied use the same naming conventions).

• 14. Re: Changing font, retaining italics, bolds
                                    Michael Gianino Level 4

tobias707 wrote:

2. "Change Format" is set for "+ Italic". When using it, the Janson 56 italic received a pink highlight. losing italics.

Pink highlight is a visual indicator that you only see in InDesign (if you were to print it, you wouldn't see the pink). It means that you have a font applied to that portion of the text which is not present. You would normally see this if you had received a file from someone who used a font you don't have. In your case, you are applying (with find/change) a font style (italic) to type that uses a font that doesn't have an italic face in the family (because 56 italic and italic are different).

tobias707 wrote:

3. I manually change fonts to Dante, the italics reappear (confirming Find/Change was done correctly)

Dante must have an italic face included.

tobias707 wrote:

4. When applying my character style version of Dante MT in 11.25pt with 16.75 leading, the italics are lost—even though this Dante on my system clearly has italics. Why, I do not understand. That seems to be the remaining issue. What is going wrong in applying the character style that causes the italics to be lost; how to correct this? Thank you.

If I were sitting next to you, I may be able to see where you are going wrong, but there are so many variables, it is difficult to do it via a text forum.