5 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 2:32 PM by Peter Spier

Table of contents

komerjames

Indesign 5.5. 200 page document. Need to generate 3 "table of contents". Phrases throughout are indicated that need to be referenced. Can not be done as paragraph styles as the phrases are not complete paragraphs. Can we assign a character style and export?? Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Table of contents
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Use Cross-References.

• 2. Re: Table of contents
            RodneyA Level 3

Are you sure this isn't really an index? I think you can do multiple indexes, though I've never tried it.

• 3. Re: Table of contents
              komerjames Level 1

No it is not really an index. There are certain marked phrases  (2 different types) that we need to extrtact out of the document and treat like a table of contents. Not sure if this can be done with cross references but will look into it. Our idea was to assign character style to the 2 different phrases throughout and then somehow reference them and make a contents page.

Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:22:41 -0600

To: komerjames@hotmail.com

Subject: Table of contents

Re: Table of contents

created by RodneyA in InDesign - View the full discussion

Are you sure this isn't really an index? I think you can do multiple indexes, though I've never tried it.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4394125#4394125

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4394125#4394125. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 4. Re: Table of contents
                peter minneapolis Level 4

komerjames wrote:

No it is not really an index. There are certain marked phrases  (2 different types) that we need to extrtact out of the document and treat like a table of contents. Not sure if this can be done with cross references but will look into it. Our idea was to assign character style to the 2 different phrases throughout and then somehow reference them and make a contents page.

Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:22:41 -0600

To: komerjames@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Table of contents Table of contents

Re: Table of contents

created by RodneyA in InDesign - View the full discussion

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Table of contents

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Table of contents. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

To refine Peter S's cross-references suggestion: Cross-references can capture whole paragraphs, or text anchors, aka "hyperlink destinations." So, you'd need to select each marked phrase, insert a new hyperlink destination of type text anchor that captures the selected text, then create cross-references from the location of your TOC, to the text anchors.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

• 5. Re: Table of contents
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

RodneyA wrote:

I think you can do multiple indexes, though I've never tried it.

Actually no, you can't. If you need multiple indexes you have to build them first as a single index, using a trick like adding a prefix to each "index's" listings to get it to sort into distinct groupings, then cut and paste into separate stories.