8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 2:28 AM by Imumbo

Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word

Imumbo Level 1

I´m doing a book layout in Word 2010, using the font Minion Pro, which I got from InDesign (after having done most of the layout, so right now I won´t move the layout to InDesign). Both in Word and in .pdf the font does not appear 100% black, but greyish, compared f.i. to Times New Roman. When scaled up to about 3-400%, Minion gets 100% black (also in Word and pdf as well).

Can anyone explain why?

(I have Windows 7)  

• 1. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word
          MW Design Level 4

This will be something that Word is doing. A font doesn't have color information in it. Check your paragraph styles for what color and or tint is being applied to it.

Take care, Mike

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Imumbo wrote:

When scaled up to about 3-400%, Minion gets 100% black (also in Word and pdf as well).

Can anyone explain why?

The individual lines of each character are too thin to be displayed with black pixels (any at all, or predominantly).

So your text is black after all, but the characters are drawn so small on your screen, they just don't have enough "meat". It's called 'anti-aliasing', by the way.

Do you have an exceptionally low-resolution monitor? Check on another screen, or on another computer, with a higher resolution. More Pixels Per Character = Increased Chance most will be drawn as Black.

• 3. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word

Imumbo wrote:

I´m doing a book layout in Word 2010.

Can't believe I missed that.

Are you aware you are asking InDesign users, on an InDesign forum, hosted by Adobe, why Word is displaying your text badly?

Use InDesign, bro'.

(Although I think it won't make Minion Pro suddenly look better, on your system at least.)

• 4. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word
                Imumbo Level 1

I checked the styles, and that doesn´t seem to be the problem. The color is black.

• 5. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word
                  Imumbo Level 1

Answer to Jongware:

I appreciate your answers. Resolution on my screen is 1600x900, and the font looks the same on two other new screens. So I don´t think that´s the problem.

Also had anticipated answers like "This is an InDesign forum etc...", but took the chance because Minion is an Adobe/Linotype product, and I thought that either there´s something problematic in using this font in Word, or that maybe I don´t have the appropriate Minion font for onscreen reading of 10 pt. bodytext.

My feeling is that I might have chosen the wrong typeface.

• 6. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word
                    Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Imumbo wrote:

... because Minion is an Adobe/Linotype product ...

For the record, Minion is an Adobe Originals typeface. There is absolutely no Linotype intellectual property in any of the Minion typefaces. You may choose to license Minion via Linotype, but the font is 100% Adobe!

- Dov

• 7. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word

Imumbo wrote:

Also had anticipated answers like "This is an InDesign forum etc...", but took the chance because Minion is an Adobe/Linotype product, and I thought that either there´s something problematic in using this font in Word ..

Yah, well, if it's purely font related, there are other forums for that: http://forum.fontlab.com/ (that's where Adobe links you to when you select "Opentype Font Development"). Of course there are lots of font experts over here -- of which I am not one, by the way -- but I'm equally sure some forum readers might be expert in the field of practical geology, and that still doesn't justify asking about pre-Silurian rocks in the Western Midlands on this forum.

But let's humour you.

Left: top: Microsoft Word 2010, bottom: Acrobat Pro 9, PDF of same. Right: InDesign CS4, bottom: PDF of same.

minion.png

Please disregard the difference in size. (Stab: it took Adobe eight iterations of InDesign to git the idea to at least attempt a faithful 100% size view ...) As you can see, there are virtually no differences between the PDFs of both, and of InDesign. There is a logical reason for that as well: Adobe software doesn't rely on native OS text drawing routines, but supply their own routines for that.

Word, however, does *not* -- or rather, because it's a Microsoft product, they use Microsoft's own text drawing routines from Windows (which is also a Microsoft product). Let's test that statement with Notepad.

minion-notepad.PNG

(Gosh, it's even slightly worse than Word!)

Now does this indicate a fault in the font? Or in InDesign/Acrobat? Or in Word/Windows?

Actually, none of the above. There are differences in how the font is displayed, but that's only because Microsoft and Adobe use different algorithms to calculate "the best possible" view for a highly detailed, large scale pure black-and-white vector drawing on a very small scale -- one thousand vertical units of original design get compressed into a space of only 16 pixels high. The different routines just make different choices for what pixels to display at what intensity.

• 8. Re: Why does the font Minion Pro appear greyish, when used in Word
                        Imumbo Level 1

Hi Jongware

Sorry I can´t find the bottom for inserting your reply in this answer.

But I´m very grateful for your explanations, it has enlightened me on the subject. I will try the other forum, but once I get seriously involved with InDesign, I may be back :-)

Thanks for the good spirit!