3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2006 7:16 AM by SkidOvidiu

Flash Player version detection

Level 7
      Since older Flash plugins CAN open newer flash movies (!but with mistakes!),
      how can I detect which flash version has the user installed in his web
      browser and depending on a result allow/disallow him to enter the site and
      prevent the older Flash plugins to display newer-Flash-version movie with
      mistakes?

I found an example on official flash site, but it consists of "indexOf" and
      "system capabilities" actions that doesn't work when implemented into Flash
      8 ! Official example... and flash displays "the code is slowing your
      computer. Abort the code?"!

How can one detect from flash 8 which flash player/plugin version has the
      user installed in his web browser?

Thanks
      Luka

• 1. Re: Flash Player version detection
          AwesomeDigital
          If you get version 8, and I think MX 2004 also, it will create those detecion scripts for you automatically when you create you swf.

Mathias
          • 2. Re: Flash Player version detection
            Level 7
            Luka wrote:
            > Since older Flash plugins CAN open newer flash movies (!but with mistakes!),
            > how can I detect which flash version has the user installed in his web
            > browser and depending on a result allow/disallow him to enter the site and
            > prevent the older Flash plugins to display newer-Flash-version movie with
            > mistakes?
            >
            > I found an example on official flash site, but it consists of "indexOf" and
            > "system capabilities" actions that doesn't work when implemented into Flash
            > 8 ! Official example... and flash displays "the code is slowing your
            > computer. Abort the code?"!
            >
            > How can one detect from flash 8 which flash player/plugin version has the
            > user installed in his web browser?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Luka

can you post the example or the url to that "official example"?
            • 3. Re: Flash Player version detection
              SkidOvidiu
              go to Publish Settings > HTML > Detect Flash Version and Publish HTML, Flash will create a javascript which detects the flash player version, works fine for me.