8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 9:06 AM by Trevor Hughes

mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4

Trevor Hughes Level 1

After spending days and suport still my new card is not working and giving it's power. nvidia 4000 for mac

so How dose one get it to work is my simple question..

mac pro 4,1 osx now after new update from Apple 10.7.4

Kind regards

Trevor

ps with cray hair.

• 1. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
          jasonvp Level 3

Trevor -

Trevor Hughes wrote:

mac pro 4,1 osx now after new update from Apple 10.7.4

Apple includes limited nVidia support in 10.7, but the Quadro 4000 should be among the cards supported.  You can certainly download nVidia's latest driver set for 10.7.4 from here if you want.

Once you have those loaded, you'll also need the CUDA drivers from here.

Reboot and you should be accelerated.

jas

• 2. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
            needles27 Level 3

Also, after getting both drivers, double check you are running in the 64-bit kernel. 

About This Mac>More Info>System Report>Software>64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

• 3. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
              Trevor Hughes Level 1

Intresting Looking in to it, will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for now.

• 4. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
                Trevor Hughes Level 1

Hi, so I did't go to bed and sleep but I think you might be on to some thing.

ok it say no so fine so researched on the apple site that you boat up if you hold down the 64 keys well that gave no result:(

then there was the tremail way had to learn that first but did past in from the web site of Apple then it asked for a password but now I remanber I might have one for the terminal will try tomorrow any how.

But the funny thing is and surpsing I also running 10.6 xx and it say NO but it works. there ie murcury engine.  also tryed holding keys 64 but can't see any change when looking at the software in System reports.

any will try againg tomorrow .

Best

Trevor

• 5. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
                  needles27 Level 3

There is a free app which puts a GUI to the process of making the terminal command to boot up in 64 bit. 

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32252/32--or-64-bit-kernel-startup-mode-selector

Give it a try - it worked for me.  But, since you were running in 10.6 with it in 32-bit without problems, I'm not so sure this is the solution.  Give it a shot, though.

• 6. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
                    slubig

Try following the guide in this video. It's a bit of a cheat but has been effective on my MacPro:

http://scruffythinking.com/notes

• 7. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
                      DMHP Level 1

Just updated to 10.7.4 on one of my boot drives on my 5.1 MacPro with a GTX 285. I am in 64 bit. NVidia threw up a screen on boot saying the CUDA needed updating to latest version which also includes the Quadro 4000, so I ran it. Mercury is working fine. And Nikon plays back! At least on the computer monitor. No Adobe drivers for AJA LHi yet, so no external monitor. Very happy so far. But still a lot to learn. Keeping a couple of boot drives in 10.6.7 for my other NLE, Media 100 Suite 2.1. One is SSD with 5.0.3 and the internal HD is is 5.5.x . At least til the bugs get worked out of CS6.

• 8. Re: mercury engine to work in lion 10.7  or 10.7.4
                        Trevor Hughes Level 1

There is a free app which puts a GUI to the process of making the terminal command to boot up in 64 bit.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32252/32--or-64-bit-kernel-startup-mo de-selector

Give it a try - it worked for me.  But, since you were running in 10.6 with it in 32-bit without problems, I'm not so sure this is the solution.  Give it a shot, though.

Yes this helped and put me on the right track.

the drive which was running 10.6.8 was in 32 and by using this programe fixed that even though ME was working in 32 bit but now the drives are in 64 and all is well.

Then I went to Lion and did the same with out it working so may the programe need to update to Lion I don't know but my Drive was in 32. so I went to work and yes after going to Lion recovery disk and finding password (that took some time) I was able to go in to the termainl and change the drive from 32 to 64.

Went in to adobe PP and YES MC engine working. Cool only taken 7 days.

Then did a few test with FCP v PP 98 tracks of DVcpro and working fine and in the cup/ active monitor I was using about 1/3 of them I guess FCP is not using Cuda but hey it must be the card memory or some thing. Then in PP 5.5 and test version of PP6 40 tracks and I was only using 10% or put it this way the first line and I think it talks for it self cuda is good..... so thanks for all your help.

Just a little question which I find odd in FCP you can mark the clip make them and use cmd and shift to move them up and past them above each other. but not in PP have to copy them and past then in and then move them up. just feel a very long way around or am I mising some thing.

But I can live with that for now.

and again I am please I ask a question In a after effects web air other wise I still be sitting trying to work this out.

Thank you

Trevor