3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 9:49 PM by kirby_conn

Seriously, was this even beta tested?

ExactImage Level 3

I'm starting to really struggle with some very basic things with Premiere Pro CS6 and Media Encoder CS6.

Things that 'just worked' in 5.5 just don't work in CS6.  Did any one really test this stuff with real world applications?

I have a 42 minute AVCHD file (from a Canon G10) running from a 3 drive RAID 0, and this file should just play. No question. It plays perfectly in CS5.0, 5.01, 5.02, 5.5 etc etc.... but not CS6!  Oh no, if I don't render it then the further we get in to the file the more it struggles.

Using the Resource Monitor to track the files it's accessing it starts of fine with the first file segment, then as it moves alone it's reading both the first file segment and the second segement (2GB chunks), then the first segment, second segment and now the third.  By the time we get to the fourth segment it's spendning more time paused waiting for the HDD to catch up than playing the file.

What is going on?

You can even see the same behaviour if you throw this file in to the media encoder to transcode to something else.  It just gets slower and slower and slower.

Running this throught ME 5.5 runs at a constant speed throughout the encode.

Please, some one at Adobe, what is going on here?  Why can't we play simple stuff anymore without rendering (which BTW has the same problem!)?     Is there some magic checkbox to check/uncheck to control this action because it so PLEASE will some one tell me where it is? 

• 1. Re: Seriously, was this even beta tested?
          tclark513 Level 3

ExactImage wrote:

I'm starting to really struggle with some very basic things with Premiere Pro CS6 and Media Encoder CS6.

Things that 'just worked' in 5.5 just don't work in CS6.  Did any one really test this stuff with real world applications?

I have a 42 minute AVCHD file (from a Canon G10) running from a 3 drive RAID 0, and this file should just play. No question. It plays perfectly in CS5.0, 5.01, 5.02, 5.5 etc etc.... but not CS6!  Oh no, if I don't render it then the further we get in to the file the more it struggles.

Using the Resource Monitor to track the files it's accessing it starts of fine with the first file segment, then as it moves alone it's reading both the first file segment and the second segement (2GB chunks), then the first segment, second segment and now the third.  By the time we get to the fourth segment it's spendning more time paused waiting for the HDD to catch up than playing the file.

What is going on?

You can even see the same behaviour if you throw this file in to the media encoder to transcode to something else.  It just gets slower and slower and slower.

Running this throught ME 5.5 runs at a constant speed throughout the encode.

Please, some one at Adobe, what is going on here?  Why can't we play simple stuff anymore without rendering (which BTW has the same problem!)?     Is there some magic checkbox to check/uncheck to control this action because it so PLEASE will some one tell me where it is? 

Check the size of your Project.  I wonder if the "bloated" bug is back from CS5?  It had the same symptoms.  The project kept getting bigger in size and the program came to a crawl.

• 2. Re: Seriously, was this even beta tested?
            ExactImage Level 3

The project file is tiny.  That's not the problem.   The problem "seems" to be how PP is parsing the files, over and over and over again.

• 3. Re: Seriously, was this even beta tested?
              kirby_conn

Just for the record I am having the same issue. Premiere gets progressively slower and slower on a 2011 MacBook Pro with Flash Drive, yada yada. Doesn't make sense. I even have it at 1/4 resolution and then finally when I go to quit it just crashed on me. Luckily I could save first, but this wasn't happening in CS5