27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 4:37 AM by Harveycp RSS

Photoshop CS6 Action Player Bug Make Adjustment Layer Applied to all to be Clipped

JJMack CommunityMVP

On Oct.  11, 2010 I received the following from Adobe Support

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Hi John,

This is to inform you that  we have been able to reproduce the same {Photoshop Actions} behavior at our end.

So we have logged this issue with the Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug # 2737069. Adobe’s Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/.

You may also log this issue directly with our product teams, through the following Feature Request/Bug Form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&samcap=EWQQL&promoid=EWQQL

I am closing case # 181675168, if you have any new information, please contact Adobe Technical Support referencing the case number so that we may re-open the support incident.

Thank you for choosing Adobe.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajdeep Kaur

Technical Support Consultant (Tier 2)

ADOBE Systems

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________

I reopened the case for there was no fix  Adobe contacted me and told me it would be fixed is some future release of Photoshop and once again case # 181675168 was closed over my objection.

I was vocal about Adobe poor excuse for support in forums.   I then was contacted by Jeff Tranberry of Adobe he was asked to  contact me by John Nack to see if he could change me.  We exchanged some e-mails ending with Jeff writing unfortunately, you issues has been deemed low impact and has been deferred.

May 7, 2012  I called Adobe to find out if this bug was fixed in Photoshop for I did not want to buy CS6 if the Bug was not fixed. After about an hour on the phone talking to many Adobe employees including Adobe Support  referenced case # 181675168 log as Bug # 2737069. I was told the bug was not in CS6.  So I ordered CS6.   FedX dropped off Today I installed it only to find the bug introduced is CS4 reported in CS5 is still in CS6.  

Adobe when will you fix this bug # 2737069????

• 1. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Please refresh my memory...  What bug was this?  The one where the current setting of the layer clipping button is used instead of what's stored in an action?

I kind of recall testing something for you and reporting back here on the forum...  Have you found that post?  Did I miss something?

And not to put too fine a point on it, but this isn't so much a "support" issue as an "engineering management" issue the way I see it.  Any manager driving a project through a major release without fixing ALL of the outstanding bugs isn't doing a very good job.  Sorry if this steps on toes, but I run a software company (okay, a smaller one than Adobe) and I sure as hell wouldn't allow a customer-reported implementation bug to remain open across multiple version releases!

-Noel

• 2. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
            charles badland Community Member

May 7, 2012  I called Adobe to find out if this bug was fixed in Photoshop for I did not want to buy CS6 if the Bug was not fixed. After about an hour on the phone talking to many Adobe employees including Adobe Support  referenced case # 181675168 log as Bug # 2737069. I was told the bug was not in CS6.  So I ordered CS6. 

Trial version? I would think in the hour you were on the phone with Adobe Support you could have downloaded and installed CS6 Trial to see for yourself if this bug was fixed.

• 3. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
              JJMack CommunityMVP

It is not posible to install a Photoshop CS6 Standard trial you need to enter a serial number have the install process install CS6 Standard version.  I also called call Adobe about that problem with the trial version.

Noel the bug was introduced in CS when Adobe added the Adjustment panel.  The Adjustment Panel can be use to add Adjustment Layers Applied to all layers or Clipped to the current layer.  In CS and CS the was two ways to toggle the Adjustment Panels Clipping state.  An item in the Adjustment Panels Fly-out menu and an icon in the bottom of the Adjustment Panel.  Both are a toggle over the clipping state.  In CS6 Adobe removed the clipping icon in the Adjustment Panel so now there only the Fly-out menu item Clipping toggle.

Adding Adjustment Layers as "Apply to all" or "Clipped to current layer" has been a feature of Photoshop for as long as I can remember.

When you record an action the action recorder records a step "Make adjustment layer"  the state "With Clipping Mask" is recorded when the adjustment layer was added as clipped and is absent if the adjustment is to be applied to the whole image.

This is true for all versions of Photoshop I can test: CS2, CS3, CS5 and CS6.  CS4, CS5 and CS6 will not play "Make adjustment layer" correctly for step recorded with "apply to all" if the Adjustment Panel Clipping Toggle is in the clipped state.

There is no problem playing Action steps "Make adjustment layer"  + "With Clipping Mask", as they always work.

The only work around is to edit all Actions that have a step "Make adjustment layer" without the state "With Clipping Mask" :  you change that step to have the state "With Clipping Mask", then add a step to un clip the adjustment.

AdjAction.jpg

The Bug hits two ways: If the action was recorded with "make adjustment layer" "apply to all" followed by a step "Clip to previous", an error message will pop up for the step "clip to previous"  as not available for it was clipped incorrectly.

Other Actions fail without an error message as an added adjustment layer "applied to all" will be added clipped incorrectly.

• 4. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?

JJMack wrote:

It is not posible to install a Photoshop CS6 Standard trial you need to enter a serial number have the install process install CS6 Standard version.  I also called call Adobe about that problem with the trial version.

As I understand it the download always operates as Extended during the trial period, but if you enter a Standard version serial number the Extended features just go away.  Am I missing something subtle here to where this can't work with Photoshop CS6? 

Didn't they describe that behavior when you asked them about trialing the Standard edition?

-Noel

• 5. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                  R_Kelly Community Member

The bug is there in the cs6 extended version as well and i agree it should be fixed.

Anyway i know this won't fix the bug and maybe you already thought of it, but a script like this seems to work even when the Clip to Layer is checked in the adjustments panel.

Levels adjustment layer:

// =======================================================

var id3 = charIDToTypeID( "Mk  " );

var desc2 = new ActionDescriptor();

var id4 = charIDToTypeID( "null" );

var ref1 = new ActionReference();

var id5 = charIDToTypeID( "AdjL" );

ref1.putClass( id5 );

desc2.putReference( id4, ref1 );

var id6 = charIDToTypeID( "Usng" );

var desc3 = new ActionDescriptor();

var id7 = charIDToTypeID( "Grup" );

desc3.putBoolean( id7, false);

var id8 = charIDToTypeID( "Type" );

var id9 = charIDToTypeID( "Lvls" );

desc3.putClass( id8, id9 );

var id10 = charIDToTypeID( "AdjL" );

desc2.putObject( id6, id10, desc3 );

executeAction( id3, desc2, DialogModes.NO);

• 6. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                    JJMack CommunityMVP

Noel Carboni wrote:

As I understand it the download always operates as Extended during the trial period, but if you enter a Standard version serial number the Extended features just go away.  Am I missing something subtle here to where this can't work with Photoshop CS6?

That is exactly the way it work just as their download documentation state you check I have a serial number and then you have to enter your Photoshop CS6 standard serial number which you have to buy.

That is why I spent a hour on the phone to first find out if my reported problem had been fixed.  I was told the problem did not exist in CS6.

You also wrote a while back that the problem did not exist in CS6 Extended beta for Adobe changed the Adjustment panel and removed the clipping icon. So I paid.

However now I feel like Adobe robbed me.  For Adobe left the other way to toggle Adjustment Panel clipping mode.

The Action Player should work the way action step are recorded  "Make adjustment layer" with  the state "With Clipping Mask"  add it clipped it should add it applied to all when the step is without "With Clipping Mask" recorded  like all Photoshop versions prior to CS4.

The player works correctly when the Action step is recorded "Make adjustment layer" with the state "With Clipping Mask" recorded no matter which state the Adjustment panel clipping mode is.  Why is the Action Player even looking at the Adjustment Panel?  The recorded step is "Make adjustment layer"  not "Look at Adjustment Panel Clipping Mode"

• 7. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                      R_Kelly Community Member

Here is an example levels adjustment layer action that seems to work even when Clip to Layer is checked in the adjustments panel.

Made using X-Tools.

https://acrobat.com/#d=WyAz8qX*H6EfgIXkfSFalQ

Untitled-1.png

• 8. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                        JJMack CommunityMVP

As I told Adobe over the I have created and made available to othere countless number of actions that add Adjustment Layers.  Most users have no Idea that the error they see sometimes is caused by this Adobe Bug.  I have no problem recording and editing action to avoid this bug.  Its simple you always record adding an Adjustment Layer Clipped and then un-clip then un-clipped adjustment layer you want applied to all.  The problem is I can not update the actions on the all user machines that have downloaded my actions before the bug was introduced with updated action using a work around like you scriptlistener code which is harder to create then just adding it clipped and un-clipping it.   This Adobe bug reflect badly on me I reporded the bug Oct 2010 for I skiped CS4.

• 9. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                          JJMack CommunityMVP

Oh GOD NO a new incompatable record "Without Clipping mask" How is that going to be added to all old actions.  Adobe must have given the problem to a junior programmer. The Adtion I posted were also created using CS6. As you can see the junior programmer even failed to do a good job with his bad fix. I recorded two actions each with on step adding a Brightness and Contrast Adjustment layer One action clipped the other applied to all. As you can see he missed adding the new incompatable record "Without Clipping Mask" th the action step.

AdjAction.jpg

Junior Programmer All action recorded before your dumb fix will not have the recorded.  It is not needed. When an "Make adjustment layer" has a recorded setting "With Clipping Mask"  you add the layer clipped when this setting is absent you add the layer applied to all not clipped. This is the way actions were recorded before you fix.  Before you fix the action Player work correctly in Photoshop version prior to CS4.   Photoshop CS4 CS5 and CS6 has a problem playing steps "Make adjustment layer" when the are recorded applied to all the are some time added clipped.   Now CS6 seems to add additional compatibility problem be recording a setting "Without Clipping Mask".  As seen in R-Kelly Level Adjustment recording note not in my add Brightness Adjustment layer action.   No action recorded prior to CS6 will have such a setting. The way to fix the problem is to add adjustment layers applied to all not clipped when the setting "With Clipping Mask" is not there as done prior to CS4.  It only require a single bit not two.  Clipped 1/0 Yes/No having two setting is wrong "With Clipping Mask" "Without Clipping Mask" would that be random then you would need more the one bit if information.  Adding Adjustment Layers Clipped or Not is and old feature the worked and can be made to work correctly once again. Pleas Please Please

• 10. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                            R_Kelly Community Member

No, the action i posted was not recorded in photoshop (any version) but made with xtools.

It was just a thought on perhaps one way overcome the problem until it's fixed by adobe.

Added: It's just an action made from the script i posted earlier is all. I guess i confused you because i used a level adjustment layer as an example when i should have

used a brightness/contrast adjustment as an example instead.

Message was edited by: R_Kelly

• 11. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                              SG... Employee Hosts

Hi John,

I'm going to look into this further. I found the bug and it doesn't have a description directly matching your report here. I want to talk with Jeff T. to see if he has further info that's not showing up.

To summarize the impact, your 3rd party distributed action sets are made incompatible with CS4–CS6 versions because there's no conditional to handle clipped vs. non-clipped action steps that conflict with the set Adjustment panel option?

regards,

steve

• 12. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                JJMack CommunityMVP

You like others at Adobe can not seem to get the point the this is not a new feature, and there is no need to add "Without Clipping Mask" and a good reason not to is so old actions will still work. I also want to point out the your statement 

SG... wrote:

To summarize the impact, your 3rd party distributed action sets are made incompatible with CS4–CS6 versions because there's no conditional to handle clipped vs. non-clipped action steps that conflict with the set Adjustment panel option?

There us no reason that I know of that the Action Player should check The Adjustment panel option.

It has been recorded, there is either "With Clipping Mask" or not. If that is not recorded it applies to all.

Even actions recorded in CS4 and CS5 will work correctly in versions prior to CS4.  CS6 "Without Clipping Mask"  may fail in all prior releases of Photoshop for they do not know of such a setting.  This is not a hard problem.

It would be very simple to fix with a sledge hammer. As soon as a user click on Play the first thing Photoshop would do it save the Adjustment Panel option and set it to apply to all let the Action run and when the Action completes restore the Adjustment Panel option.

Why is the Player even looking at the panel option and in an inconstant way for when it apply to all and the action step has the recorded setting "With Clipping Mask" the Player does what is recorded. That is all the action player need to do.  Simple If statement "If (With Clipping Mask) Then clip(); Else ApplyAll();" something like that.

If you can look at case # 181675168 you will see that I stated the there was nothing wrong as to how the actions were recorded the a new sett was not need.   Its a mistake to add "Without Clipping Mask"  please try to understand this.

Fix the Bug or Refund my money I have given you more then that reporting the bug telling you how to fix it.

• 13. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?

For what it's worth I have reported a similar problem against recorded Brightness/Contrast actions steps - specifically having to do with the new (with CS5) "Use Legacy" setting.

Actions recorded with Brightness/Contrast steps in older versions of Photoshop need to "Use Legacy" by default, because that's the only kind of Brightness & Contrast those versions did.

However, apparently a Brightness/Contrast action step that is recorded without "Use Legacy", for example with an older version of Photoshop, will now be interpreted as "Use The New Scheme" in Photoshop CS6.  This is different from Photoshop CS5 and earlier.

I suspect some programmer removed a key piece of code that was checking for these kinds of cases.

SG, while you're looking into JJMack's issue, could you please check on this one as well?

To underscore what JJMack has been saying, the creation of an entirely new action record is NOT the answer, because beyond leaving existing actions in a non-working state with the new version of Photoshop, if one were to release a fix it would make it necessary to maintain the older version of the Actions for use with older versions of Photoshop.  Not the best solution for a case where it's clear what the processing needs to be when the parameter is missing.  This creates support headaches for anyone who has released actions to Photoshop users!

In my case, even though I reported the Brightness/Contrast problem fairly early in the beta (and had it acknowledged by Pete Green), the released code still has the problem, so I'm faced with releasing new versions of my actions sets with certain steps done a different way.  Fortunately, rather than record the step again I've found a completely different way to get the task done that avoids my having to split the sets into "before CS6" and "after CS6" versions.

-Noel

• 14. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                    PECourtejoie CommunityMVP

JJ, I am not sure either that I understand the issue correctly.

-The actions do record as they should in all versions. ( for the moment, let's put aside the Cs6 "without clipping mask" that seems to be different, and might come from the Xtools)

-But, since CS4, the actions with "Apply to all" (without "With clipping mask") do not work as they should if the Adjustment panel has the "Clipping" button checked, as they do clip the adj layer when they should not.

-Therefore, actions recorded with "Apply to all", with a subsequent "Clip to previous" (when it was not recorded at Adj Layer creation) do give an error because the layer is already clipped by the previous step if the Adjustment panel is set to clip.

• 15. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?

For what it's worth, in Photoshop CS6 when I create an adjustment layer either way (with the [  ] Use Previous Layer To Create Clipping Mask option set or cleared), I only see the "With Clipping Mask" option show up. 

I guess this XTools thing might be writing more in the same record than Photoshop itself is?

As recorded in Photoshop CS6:

CS6Action.png

As seen in Photoshop CS5:

ClippingMaskActionCS5.png

-Noel

• 16. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                        JJMack CommunityMVP

Lets step back and look at this from above recording adding adjustment layers is not a new feature. What was new was the addition of the Adjustment Panel. Its a extra GUI added to be more user friendly though lessened with the removal of the clipping icon in CS6. The Panel use in not required you can still add Adjustment Layers using Photoshop menu Layers>New Adjustment>Adjustment Layer Type and the checking or un-checking the clipping option in the following dialog. So please tell me if all the Adjustment Panel is an extra GUI that is not required to be use why does the Action Player check the Panel option the may or may not be in the same state as it was when the action was recorded and some times use the setting and other times it doesn't use the option.  The answer is its a BUG.  The way the make adjustment were recorded use to be correct.  Now with CS6 this in no longer true. Adobe added an additional bug recording a new action step setting "Without Clipping Mask" this is a bug it should not be added. If an Make adjustment layer step has recorded "With Clipping Mask" the layer should be Clipped if the steps doe not have the "With Clipping Mask" the layer does not get clipped. Just like if was done in all versions of Photoshop prior to CS4 that had actions.  The Action Player Should look at what is recorded not at  some extra panel that may not be in the same state as when the action was recorded on some machine could have been some other machine.

Yes let put aside an other unrelated thing Xtools

• 17. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?

Agreed.  Misinterpreting recorded actions is a BUG.

-Noel

• 18. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?

JJ, what I meant, and that Noel proved, is that the "Without Clipping mask" is NOT created by CS6, but by Xtools.

I agree that it might be a bug, but is my explanation 4 posts ago valid?

• 19. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                              R_Kelly Community Member

Yes the action example i posted is an edited action by taking an levels adjustment layer recorded in photoshop with clipping mask applied, converting the action to an XML file. editing the action

by adding the Without to the clipping mask and then turning the XML file back into an action.

Photoshop does not record Without Clipping Mask.

Since everyone seems confused by it, you can remove those posts if it's going to add this confusion to what really is a bug in cs4-cs6 as JJMack has explained in detail.

• 20. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                                JJMack CommunityMVP

I missed R_Kelly post stating he used Xtools it made me remember the that was one of the ideas that Adobe through out in case # 181675168 I then pointed out that would make all old action incompatible that the way actions were recorded is fine. They just need to be play like the action players in Photoshop versions prior to CS4.  Action Players in Photoshop version after CS3 look at the Adjustment panel options they should not the palette is just an extra GUI it should not be referenced by the Action player.

• 21. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?

JJMack wrote:

I then pointed out that would make all old action incompatible that the way actions were recorded is fine.

Actually, it might not make them incompatible, since it sounds as though the same exact record type is being written.  But you'd have to test them to make sure, because even if the action was interpreted correctly the Actions player would be going through uncommon paths through the code.

The problems we've mentioned with actions need to be addressed.  Actions are a supported feature of Photoshop, and keeping a newer version compatible - be it a few versions ago or right now with CS6 - with previously recorded actions needs to be a design goal at Adobe!  There's no time like the present to get this fixed!  However, I have a suspicion that 13.0.1 may already be in the pipeline being tested, which would be in the context of this problem.

-Noel

• 22. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                                    JJMack CommunityMVP

Noel Carboni wrote:

JJMack wrote:

I then pointed out that would make all old action incompatible that the way actions were recorded is fine.

Actually, it might not make them incompatible, since it sounds as though the same exact record type is being written.  But you'd have to test them to make sure, because even if the action was interpreted correctly the Actions player would be going through uncommon paths through the code.

Yes if Adobe leave the action recorder alone the actions are fine the way they are. However  If Adobe changes the action recorder to now record "Without Clipping Mask" that would make old actions incompatible for "Without Clipping Mask" is not recorded in old action sets.

• 23. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                                      JJMack CommunityMVP

It look like I also suck! I reported the wrong case number and bug number here.  The correct ones Case # 0181636711 Bug # 2679265

The others Adobe Closed on me this they witdrew on me.

• 24. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?

Shouldn't I edit the thread title to make it more family-friendly?

• 25. Re: Why does Adobe Support SUCK?
                                                          JJMack CommunityMVP

Yes

Photoshop CS6 Action Player Bug Make Adjustment Layer Applied to all may be Clipped

• 26. Re: Photoshop CS6 Action Player Bug Make Adjustment Layer Applied to all to be Clipped
                                                            JJMack CommunityMVP

Case History

Case #0181636711 Assigned Bug # 2679265

Updated

Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:50:22 AM PDT

Opened

Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:21:19 PM PDT

Status

Withdrawn

Product

Photoshop CS5

Support contract

Adobe Support Program

Subject

CS5 Action Feature Bug

NOTES & RESPONSES

Notes from Customer

Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:21:19 PM PDT

CS5 has a bug recording and playing Actions that add Adjustments layers. Old actions recorded before CS5 and actions recorded with CS5 may or may not Play/Work correctly.

Before there was an Adjustment Panel all Adjustment Layers were added applied to all layers and you needed to clip them after the were added if you wanted it clipped. The new adjustment panel made it possible to add a adjustment layer clipped to the current layer. However a clipping parameter is not recorded by the action recorder just the type and setting are recorded.

When a make adjustment layer step is play it is either clipped or not depending on the state of the adjustment panel's clipping icon. If it not in the same state as it was when the action was recorded it will be add incorrectly. It would also be impossible to create an action that added some adjust layer clipped and others that are not.

I feel the is a serious bug which needs to be addressed. I believe the solution is simple and even old actions will also work.

Two patches are needed.

One in the Action recorder. If the step being recorded is make adjustment layer and the adjustment panel icon state is clip to layer this needs to be recorded in the action step record. If the layer is to be applied nothing extra needs to be recorded in the step record just leave it as is like actions prior to the adjustment panel.

The second patch in the Action Player.  If the step that is about to execute is a make adjustment layer. The Player needs to save away the state of the adjustment panel icon. Then check the adjustment step record to see if it is to be clipped. If so set the adjustment panel icon to the clipping state else set it to the all layers state. Then do/call the add adjustment layer function/routine on return restore the adjustment panels icon from the saved state. Proceed to the next step.

I have been trying to report the bug for days. Please at least acknowledge you received my bug report.

Thanks

JJ

Browser: Other

Operating System: Windows XP

Has it ever worked? If so, what's changed? (provide comments in description field): Not Applicable

Same results with different file?: Not Applicable

Same results with different computer?: Not Applicable

Recent System Hardware or Software change?: Not Applicable

__________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________

Auto responsce from Abobe will close case unless we here from you

__________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________

Notes to Customer

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:04:44 PM PDT

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support. My name is Saurabh. This is in regards to your concern posted on Adobe web support portal

regarding an issue with Adobe Photoshop CS5.

I understand the importance of your time in getting the issue resolved and we assure you that this will be taken care of with utmost importance. We appreciate your cooperation with us.

I would like to inform you that we are still researching on this issue. Once we find some new information, we will get back to you.

I apologize fore the inconvenience caused.

We are always happy to assist you however, in future if you face any problems with Adobe products, you may also try referring to our knowledge base & User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

KnowledgeBase: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm

User to User Forums: www.forums.adobe.com

To know more about Adobe products, please visit our product page:

www.adobe.com/products

Your technical support case number for this interaction is: 181636711

Thanks for contacting Adobe Technical Web Support and we appreciate your time spent.

Have a nice day.

PLEASE NOTE:We will be waiting for your reply on this case. In case you are unable to respond we will be sending you a reminder on the 2nd day (From the day of our response to you) and then the case will be auto closed on 7th day assuming your issue is resolved. However, you can reopen your case by visiting our web support portal and we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Saurabh Jain

Adobe Technical Support

_________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________

Notes from Customer

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:01:35 PM PDT

I consulted your knowledge base and I called customer support. This bug has not been listed. Custom support had me fill out a bug report at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm? name=wishform which I did but that was not even acknowledged. I demonstrated the bug to customer support by sharing my screen.

As for you forums for some reason the forum web site states my Adobe ID is disabled so I can not append or start a thread there id screen name jjmack. I created a new Adobe ID yesterday jjmackm@hotmail.com that to seems to be disabled or I can not come up with any screen name the is availably I have tried many. Every simple or outlandish name I have entered generates the same message screen name not available. I'm at my wits end I've been using Photoshop since Photoshop version 3. Over the years it seems to get harder and harder to communicate with Adobe....

_________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________

Notes to Customer

Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:58:07 PM PDT

Dear John,

Thank you for getting back to us with the required information and we appreciate your patience in helping us to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

As this issue would require support from a senior level and hence I am forwarding your case to the next level of support for extensive research and to find a resolution for the problem at hand. I'll get back to you once we receive a reply from the concerned department.

Please note that the expected turnaround time for resolution to this case from next level of support is 5 business days. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are always happy to assist you however, in future if you face any technical problems with Adobe products, you may also try referring to our knowledge base & User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

U2U Forums: www.forums.adobe.com

www.adobe.com/products

Thanks for contacting Adobe Technical Web Support. Have a nice day.

Regards,

Saurabh Jain

Adobe Technical Support

Notes from Customer

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:03:49 PM PDT

simpler then I first thought. Upon more investigation this is what I see.

I skipped CS4 and when I installed CS5 I discovered a nasty bug had been introduced is Photoshop's Action facility most likely in CS4.

Action that add adjustment Layers clipped to the current layer that step is recorded Make adjustment layer with Clip.

Action that add adjustment Layers not clipped Step records as Make adjustment layer.

When a step Make adjustment layer with Clip is played back that is what Photoshop does.

When a step Make adjustment layer is played back what Photoshop does is look at the adjustment panel clipping icon state and and if it is clip to current layer Photoshop does clip the adjustment layer to the current when is should be applied to all.

Many of the actions I have created add adjustment layer applied to all then later clip them to the current layer. These actions generate an error message if the Adjustment panel clipping icon is set to clip. Because the layer get added clipped clipping it is not available. The strange thing is the layer is clipped the way I wanted it to be. But actions I recorded where I want the adjustment to apply to all are clipped and the is no error message just wrong results.

Notes from Customer

Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:00:02 PM PDT

I was told 24 hours to fix my ID. I kept myself logon this machine.now I can not even logon.

Notes from Customer

Friday, June 18, 2010 1:31:42 PM PDT

My user ID is now operational again after I requested an password e-mail so I could reset my password. When I received the e-mail I was able to set my accounts password and once again participate in Adobe's forums.

The is still no change in the status of my bug report. I would like to be able to play actions and know the will work the way there were recorded.

Notes from Customer

Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:56:24 AM PDT

Create a one step action that add an adjustment layer that applies to all layers.

Play that action with the icon in the adjustment panel is set to apply to all layers. Change the status of that icon to clip to layer and play the action again.

You will find the first adjustment layer was added correctly apply to all layers like it was recorded the second adjustment was added clipped to layer when it should be applied to all...

Notes to Customer

Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:53:35 AM PDT

Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support. My name is sauarbh. This is in regards to your concern posted on Adobe web support portal regarding an issue with Adobe Photoshop CS5.

I understand the importance of your time in getting the issue resolved and we assure you that this will be taken care of with utmost importance. We appreciate your cooperation with us.

As your issue demands a real time interaction, so we are arranging a call back for you.

Please provide the below mentioned information so that our call back team can contact you to resolve your issue:-

1. Your Preferred Day to attend the call

2. Your Preferred Time to attend the call

3. Your Time Zone

4 Your Phone Number

The callback team works from 10 AM to 7 PM PST.

Kindly revert to us with the above stated information so that our call back team can contact you within 24-48 working hours.

Please note :- Our Call Back team works Monday through Friday.

The callback team works from 10 AM to 7 PM PST.

Regards,

Sauarbh Jain

Adobe Technical Support

Notes from Customer

Thursday, July 1, 2010 10:10:44 AM PDT

Please provide the below mentioned information so that our call back team can contact you to resolve your issue:-

1. Your Preferred Day to attend the call

Mon through Friday

2. Your Preferred Time to attend the call

1 PM to 10 PM any time

3. Your Time Zone

Eastern USA Time

4 Your Phone Number

845-xxx-xxxx

Notes from Customer

Friday, July 2, 2010 8:43:30 PM PDT

July 2 Adobe support called me once again they share my display and I demonstrated the bug for a second time. This time the stated they were recording my demo. After I demonstrated the bug they put me on hold for a while. Upon returning they informed me that there was still no circumvention or fix for this problem. They wanted to know if I was at the latest software level they were still sharing my display so I did a Photoshop Help About Photoshop to show I had the latest update Photoshop version 12.0.1. Told me they were not capable of handling this problem and would have to refer this to senior technical support that they would determine if it was a bug. What a joke Adobe junior technical support can not even recognize a bug when it has been demonstrated to them on two occasions now and also received several case update from me. Adobe you need better support personal.

Notes to Customer

Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:39:56 PM PDT

Hi John ,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I would like to apologize for the delay in providing you a faster resolution to your issue and appreciate your patience with us.

I would like to inform you that your issue has been logged as bug so the workaround is obviously to make sure the clip to layer is not enabled prior to running any of these actions.Also my Product Team and Engineering Team are working on this issue you can use the work around as mentioned above.

This should resolve your issue. If it does, please let us know, however in case it does not; please revert with any new information that you might want to add which will help us in resolving your issue.

You can also try referring to our knowledge base and User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

Knowledgebase: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm

www.adobe.com/products

Thanks for contacting Adobe Technical Web Support and we appreciate your time spent.

Have a nice day.

PLEASE NOTE: we will be waiting for your reply on this case. In case you are unable to respond we will be sending you a reminder on the 2nd day (From the day of our response to you) and then the case will be auto closed on 7th day assuming your issue is resolved. However, you can reopen your case by visiting our web support portal and we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Adobe Technical Support

Notes from Customer

Sunday, August 8, 2010 9:26:50 PM PDT

Any work around does not solve my problem. Thousands have downloaded my actions. There is no way that I can contact them to make the aware of any work around. I can code around this bug but again I have no way to get the update to those that have downloaded my actions for they are free. All that is logged is the number of downloads. No registration is required so there is no way to contact the users that downloaded my actions. The problem will only be resolved when adobe updates Photoshop and fixes the problem.

Notes to Customer

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:58:23 PM PDT

Hi John ,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I would like to apologize for the delay in providing you a faster resolution to your issue and appreciate your patience with us.

I have logged this issue with my Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug #{2679265}. Adobe’s Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I am closing case#{181636711}, if you have any new information, please contact my team within 14 days, with the details, so we may re-open the support incident.

You can also try referring to our knowledge base and User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

www.adobe.com/products

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Adobe Technical Support

_________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________

Notes from Customer

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:13:56 PM PDT

This case should not be closed till there is a fix for this bug. How can Adobe Support close a bug report when Adobe acknowledges its a bug where Adobe Support does not provide a fix. Blowing smoke with statements like "if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site". Photoshop CS3 work correctly Adobe broke the Action Player in CS4 and its still broken is CS5. "if a fix is possible!"!!! Are you joking? What kind of support is that? Do you get a bonus for closing bug reports without fixing the bug? Does it make you look good inside Adobe. I can tell you from the outside there is a foul stench emulation from Adobe Technical Support.

Notes to Customer

Monday, August 16, 2010 2:30:22 PM PDT

Dear John ,

Thank you for getting back to us with the required information and we appreciate your patience in helping us to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

This issue would require support from a senior level and hence I am forwarding your case to the next level of support for extensive research and to find a resolution for the problem at hand. I'll get back to you once we receive a reply from the concerned department.

Please note that the expected turnaround time for resolution to this case from next level of support is 5 business days. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are always happy to assist you however, in future if you face any technical problems with Adobe products, you may also try referring to our knowledge base & User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

www.adobe.com/products

Regards,

Adobe Technical Support

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________

Notes to Customer

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:25:48 PM PDT

Dear John ,

I would suggest you to please go to through the KB document to move actions from Photoshop CS4 to CS5 given below :

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86020.html

Please make sure about the loaction of actions which you created or saved in Photoshop CS4, go to that location and make sure you have all the actions there.

Did it ever work in Photoshop CS5?

Try to make a copy of the action that he is trying to run, remove the 'Hide' command and re-record hide in PS CS5, put it into the action, and see if that works.

Or try making a short action along with Hide command . If this works, then something might have got changed between the version.

www.adobe.com/products

Regards,

Adobe Technical Support

Notes from Customer

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:15:11 PM PDT

This is the reply I received from adobe support you. I want this case open till it is resolved. Your trying everything to close it unresolved. Now your giving me instructions on how to migrate from CS4 which I don't have??? Please fix bug #{2679265}.

++++++++++From Adobe support+++++++++

I have logged this issue with my Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug #{2679265}. Adobe’s Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I am closing case#{181636711}, if you have any new information, please contact my team within 14 days, with the details, so we may re-open the support incident.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Notes to Customer

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:14:11 PM PDT

Hi John ,

Thank you for replying back.

I would like to inform you that that we are working in techinical support department and fixing any issues or Bug with the product is done by the developers team. As they are already working on it and we don't have any update as how much time that gonna take. If you want we can have the case as open and as soon as there is any fix for the same, you will be getting the update on Adobe website.

I hope this will address your concern.

www.adobe.com/products

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Adobe Technical Support

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________

Notes from Customer

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:51:16 PM PDT

Yes leave it open

Notes from Customer

Monday, September 6, 2010 5:57:14 AM PDT

Thank You

Adobe Support Call me and told me it would be fixed in the next release of Photoshop and asked me if they could close the case. I replyed IMO that is not the proper thing to do do what you want...

========================================================================================== ========================

As you can see Adobe marked the case

Status

Withdrawn

by Adobe over my objection.