10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 9:00 AM by PFuerst

fusion io fx and AFX

PFuerst Level 2

Hey,

I'm very curious about the fusion io fx cards (http://www.fusionio.com/platforms/iofx/) which were announced during NAB, especially since CS6 will be the first software that will directly benefit from it.

Because I'm looking for a new HP Workstation I want to know how good those cards are really? They said that it could replace the ram modules and boost performance even more. How valid is this statement? Because if it's true I would buy less expensive ram from HP in the first place (maybe 16gb for 12 physical cores) and include one of the fusion io fx cards as soon as they are available.

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And how much footage I/O do you actually have on any given project? This is just a super expensive hardware cache and I/O cross-switch. It will do exactly zero, if you're not even scratching the barrier where the data rates it provides would be relevant and that will take quite a bit of doing. And then of course this thing is just as worthless without the proper infrastructure around it like this extra PCI stuff, a suitable graphics card and a beefy RAID system to feed the monster. So unless you have a masterplan and realyl do work with this stuff, you'd be wasting your money otehrwise.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
            PFuerst Level 2

I have to deal with red r3d, arri raw, dslr, ex3 and sooner or later footage from the new announed black magic cam. The amount varies from project to project (hard to say).

I plan on buying a ssd for the OS together with a Raid 0 for the footage, a Quadro 2000 or 4000 and 2 xeon processors with 6 cores

I just got interessted in this device because of the panel discussion Steve Ford had at NAB. A few emplyees at Adobe also said that it will encrease perfomance tremendously

• 3. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, if you really use this stuff, then it may be worth giving it a second look, though probably not essential for AE. It's probably 10 times more useful in Premiere Pro or a color grading workflow with Speedgrade.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
                PFuerst Level 2

Yeah Premiere and Speedgrade are also programs I will use extensively

• 5. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The fusionIO card appears as a disk to the operating system and can be used like a disk by the applications.

Because of the new and vastly improved disk cache in After Effects (as part of the Global Performance Cache), having a very-high-speed "disk" with a direct conenction that is also very fast is very, very valuable.

With the new disk cache, the limiting factor is how quickly cached frames and intermediate results can be written to and read from the disk/ With the fusionIO device, this is very fast, so the cached results come back nearly instantly.

• 6. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
                    PFuerst Level 2

OK good to know. Sound really great.

How important is the amount of RAM in the machine with such a card? I had read that it acts like adding 420gb of ram to your machine. Right now the recommandation is 2 GB per core (which means I had to put in about 32GB - 6cores*2 + Hyperthreading =24 but HP only offers 32GB with this configuration).

If I could save a few bucks not putting so much RAM into the machine and rather use a fusion fx I would be really happy.

• 7. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Don't confuse RAM with what these cards do. Think of them as really, really fast disks. This has nothing to do with how After Effects uses RAM. You still want a lot of RAM.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
                        PFuerst Level 2

I see thanks for your help. I guess that I will invest into more RAM and an additional SSD (for the cache) at first and maybe add a fusion card in the future

• 9. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
                          PFuerst Level 2

I just stumbled upon the sonnet tempo ssd http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html

Do/could those cards have a similar effect on performance in afx as the fusion io cards have? If that would be the case those two cards would be a great (and cheaper) alternative. Or I this a different technology and I'm wrong with my assumption.

• 10. Re: fusion io fx and AFX
                            PFuerst Level 2

What I've found out so far is that the fusion is a faster but also more expensive but the sonnet one is more flexible when it comes to an upgrade because you can just add one or replace the smaller one. Maybe that's the main difference.