6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 4:49 PM by Frustrated in AZ

Adobe won't authorize

wordgirl1974

When I try to authorize my computer with Adobe Digital it says there is an error and that I need to be online. I am already online and I have turned off my firewall and authorized the Adobe software. What should I do?

• 1. Re: Adobe won't authorize
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A few more bits of information please. Adobe Digital What? Please let us know your OS as well.

• 2. Re: Adobe won't authorize
            wordgirl1974 Level 1

It is Adobe Digital Editions and I have windows Vista. I want to use it to download ebooks.

• 3. Re: Adobe won't authorize
              Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Digital Editions forum.

• 4. Re: Adobe won't authorize
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Wordgirl, I'm not sure what you mean by 'authorize Adobe Digital' Editions

to your computer.  I read the thread, and have the information you've

provided, so let me start at one point, and maybe it will make sense.

Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is downloaded from Adobe.com and installed on

your computer.  You start by going to Adobe.com, registering and getting an

Adobe ID and password.  Then you download ADE and it will install.  If you

haven't registered with Adobe, you can still download and install it, but

it won't be a registered copy, and you could get a message telling you that

you need to register with Adobe before it will work correctly.

Starting there, if your Windows Vista security is 'turned off', and so is

your firewall, you're exposed.  You don't need to do that in order to

register and then install ADE.  If you had Windows 7, there are some

settings that need to be tended to.

Did you register with Adobe and get an Adobe ID first?

================

• 5. Re: Adobe won't authorize
                  wordgirl1974 Level 1

I did get an ID when I downloaded ADE. I get the message when I try to open the ebook I downloaded. It takes me right to the instructions from ADE about how to use it and then it prompts me to authorize my computer. I put in my id, which works when I go to the website, but it stops and tells me I am not connected to the internet and to try again when I am. Of course I am connected the whole time.

• 6. Re: Adobe won't authorize
                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Aha!  More information!

One more question: did the ebook download without messages, and appear in

ADE's Library view?

Here's why I ask.  There are certain parameters that a publisher or

distributor can set in the ebook's digital rights.  If they did something

that requires a password for the ebook, you might get this kind of

message.  Also, if the ebook is a loan from a library, then the library has

not set its parameters correctly.

=======